Solved - Window won't work: NOT the "replace bushings" problem. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved Window won't work: NOT the "replace bushings" problem.

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.

Mark53

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer
Window won't work: NOT the "replace plastic bushings" problem.

Thanks to help from this forum, I've done that "bushings replacement" fix on 5 different doors.

I thought this was the same problem again... the Sound it makes is very similar.
I took apart the motor... the vinyl bushings were a bit lop-sided, but still intact. Still, I replaced them, anyway.
The driver's window still will not go up or down.
With a hand on Inside and Outside of the window, I can slide it up / down.
So, I think the motor gear is not in contact with the big metal window frame gear (about 10" long).

I cut a hole, so I can see that the spline in the center of the motor gear IS in the hole that it should be in. With the motor in hand, the gear does go around.

Ever heard of this problem before?
I was told that this problem started about a year ago, out of the blue.

Thanks, people.

Mark53

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is the regulator spring intact? The motor can't lift the window if the spring is busted.
Should go down though....

Also it doesn't take a lot of wear on the large plastic gear in the motor to allow it to slip off the worm gear. Double check it.

And of course the electric motor may just be done.

Just FYI... I found the problem.
Those of you who have taken these things apart will recognize these parts...

windowmotorgearboth.jpg

The bottom side of the steel gear has six sides,
is supposed to fit Tightly inside the bigger round aluminum part,
the inside of which also has six sides.
Well, the problem is that I could manually turn the gear while holding the aluminum part. That ain't s'posed to happen. You can see that the inside of the molded aluminum part has been "rounded" by the steel part.
When operating, it Sounded like the familiar "busted bushings" problem.

The solution?... I bonded the two pieces together with J B Weld.

Works like a champ, now.
So now, how do I mark this thread as "solved"?

So now, how do I mark this thread as "solved"?
Done! :D
I went to 'edit thread' and changed the thread title icon, I don't know if that's a Mod-only thing or if you could do it...

Persistence and JB Weld. Nice!

Back