Windshield Cracked | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Windshield Cracked

mab631

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
explorer 2002 ED
Well it happened i was driving down the high some small rock and hit my windshield yesterday today i go out and my windshield has a crack all the way down from the left to the right side. It fine meaning that crack does not go all the way though glass. I don't know why i get hit with so many things though. This truck is the perfect height for getting hit with crap. I thought driving a truck i would get hit less but i get hit more. Are you guys getting hit with rocks all the time? I mean the small small one but still. Guess i got to find a car place around town that will install a windshield are there even brands of windshields that are better then others i never had to buy one before? I had a mercury mini van before this and that was great never got hit with anything.

I had a rock fall off a flatbed trailer that was hauling a bulldozer not too long ago. It didn't crack the glass, but left a noticeable mark in it.

Lots of insurance companies offer free glass repair, and zero deductible on replacement windshields, regardless of the deductible of your policy. Look into it.

Otherwise, ask around at used car dealerships as to who they use for glass replacement. Dealer cost is much less than "guy off the street" price usually. I priced mine, and my dealer cost was only $210.00 installed. Normal customer price is at least double that, and cost to an insurance company is even higher! I remember seeing a windshield that we paid $180 for having a list price of $940! That's what the insurance company would pay to the glass company if it were claimed.
Most glass companies will come right to your house or place of work and install them right there.
We use Triumph Auto Glass and they're excellent. I think they're franchised nationwide too. Otherwise check your yellow pages and see what's available where you are, and like I mentioned, check with some dealerships...You might be able to get one a lot cheaper that way.

The reason you get hit more with the truck is that the windshield is much highter, and the damage when you do get it you will notice is much more solid contacts.

Just look at the angle the winshield is, it is much more straight up, than a car. This giving more surface area for the rcoks to hit, and hit more solid taking more of the force of impact.

I have had a crack about 4" above the hood going across the dash for the last 2 years, I took it in last year and the autoglass speciallist told me I'd be wasting my money changing the glass just yet.

Back