windshield cracking overnight | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

windshield cracking overnight

My windshield randomly started cracking in both bottom corners. It started with the passenger side in a small L shape from the bottom to side edges, then the driver side with a crack from the bottom going up towards the center. These literally appeared overnight in the past couple weeks. It is getting worse; this morning the drivers crack was further into the middle and a small branch crack appeared. I'm guessing this is somehow due to temperature changes at night somehow messing with the windshield, while the integrity of the seam and seal at the roof edge is damaged by rust. This rust has been getting worse over the years. No water leaks or any issues till this windshield thing. i'd have thought this would happen in the winter, but it has been really hot here, if changes in the outside temp are playing a role, but why else would it happen at night though rather than while driving?

is it safe to drive in this condition? you don't often hear of windshields just 'letting go' ... but i do have a long highway trip coming up. Any estimate on cost to repair the rust and replace the windshield? Its a 96 ranger.

thanks

some strange locations....
Windshield crack just walk when they feel like walking. Temperature DOES have an affect, as does the vehicle moving. A coupla smacks with your palm in the crack and you can watch it walk along. Its actually kinda fun.

The cracks look like they are on the out side sheet of glass.
Did you know that your windshield is actually TWO sheets of glass with a plastic sheet in between ?
I am thinking rust is going to be a huge issue with replacing the windshield. Most windshield companies wont even do it unless you get the rust repaired.

It actually it pretty safe, but its also not legal in SOME states.

On my 99 xlt, when I bought it, there was a crack going about half way across the windshield. Once day when I was driving home on a cold winter day, I had the defrost blowing on full heat. Once the engine warmed up it just decided to crack the rest of the way across. lol Mine was on the outside layer of glass.

Replace it if you want to or if local regulations require it. Fixing the rust is a real good idea if you want to avoid leaks down the road.

Thank you for the replies. The cracks seem to have stabilized over the past couple of weeks, they are not getting any worse, even after a few long drives, and some rough roads. I did not know the windshield was two sheets of glass, thanks for the info. It does indeed seem that the cracks are on the outside sheet of glass. The driver's side crack is somewhat in my field of vision, at the bottom edge of it anyway. Doesn't bother me except when the sun hits it at just the right angle, man is it bright!! I'm wondering if glass repair places can inject that stuff into the crack (the same stuff they use for stone chips) that might help to "diffuse" the sharp light. In any case I can keep rolling for now. I'd like to get the rust fixed but funds are an issue and it's getting hard to justify as the truck is pretty old, though that is by far the worst rust on it, and it has only 157,000 kms .. so it is a tough call. I am risking a small fine by not getting it fixed though. Apparently it is ok to drive if you have cracks in Ontario unless they are within the area swept by the driver's side wiper.. which it is. (to get a safety, you can't have any cracks).

Back