Windshield Washer fluid resevoir question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Windshield Washer fluid resevoir question

jbwilson3791

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer
Was changing my tie rod ends today and looked up while doing so. Noticed that my windshield washer fluid resevoir has a sensor plugged into the bottom. However my 2004 Ford Explorer XLS, doesn't have the message center, what's the purpose of the sensor. Thanks in advance for once again answering another one of my dumb questions.

My 2005 XLT has the message center, which can run a system check including the status of the washer fluid level, among other things.

My best guess is it was cheaper just to have the same washer reservoir assembly with sensor and wiring across the board for all models, rather than having different ones depending on if they had the message center or not. Sort of like how some or all models have wiring for features that don't exist, but do on other models. I have wiring and a harness in place for a cigarette lighter, but don't have one. Some (or all) have wiring for heated mirrors, but may have non heated mirrors, etc.

My 2005 XLT has the message center, which can run a system check including the status of the washer fluid level, among other things.

My best guess is it was cheaper just to have the same washer reservoir assembly with sensor and wiring across the board for all models, rather than having different ones depending on if they had the message center or not. Sort of like how some or all models have wiring for features that don't exist, but do on other models. I have wiring and a harness in place for a cigarette lighter, but don't have one. Some (or all) have wiring for heated mirrors, but may have non heated mirrors, etc.

Okay thanks! And I think another possible solution is although it's been repaired near perfect, I've been finding slight evidence that the original owner may have wrecked it, so I guess they could have replaced it with one with a sensor.

Back