• Register Today It's free!

Washer Fluid Sensor?

FSDExplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Sioux Falls, SD
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 EBauer 5.0L
New to forum, and excited to get some answers about my stock Exp.
I'm tired of resetting the message "Washer Fluid Low" on the comp display. I've tried blue, orange, green, clear (just H2O), and alcohol-based washer fluids to "clean out" the system, but can't seem to get the sensor to work.
What needs to be replaced to stop this problem? (i.e. is there just a sensor, or is it built into something else like the pump itself?) Thanks, in advance for your responses... :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Maybe the sensor has moved.

They work very simply. Inside of the washer bottle is a styrophome floater. When the floater is up the circuit is compleate, once it gets below a certain level the styrophome floater lowers and the circuit is not incompleate and the " Washer level low " light comes on.

I said all that to say this. Maybe the sensor has moved so that the flaot is always in the " down " position.

Welcome to the site.

Dont be a stranger

The sensor is mounted to the lower-rear of the washer bottle, close to the cruise control actuator.

It is indeed seperate from the pump.

my 99 was doing the same thing and i finally took it out and checked the sensor out and found out that one of the wires was broken on the sensor that protrudes inside the washer bottle. . just replaced it and no more low washer fluid. . unless its empty. .hehehe

Just got my '00 Mountaineer back from the dealership after a shoddy mechanic "fixed" my washer fluid problems by splicing my wires and tying my front fluid line to my rear washer button since he apparently didn't realize the pump was busted on the front washer system. Almost all issues have been resolved by the dealership regarding wiring.

But, as the case was before the shoddy mechanic and still is now, my message center is still reporting "Low Washer Fluid" despite the tank being full.

I'm COMPLETELY new to this forum and any sort of DIY repair/servicing/self-maintenance so ANY suggestions (with discrete steps) would be GREATLY appreciated!

Back