Windshield wiper fluid delay is scratching my windshield. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Windshield wiper fluid delay is scratching my windshield.

OK, I was doing some testing today and while testing to see where the signal wire went to in the relay pack under the airbox went the delay in the pump went away. It happened while the wiper blade motor fuse was out. I pushed the button and the spray happened instantly. I put the wiper blade motor fuse back in and the delay came back. I could not repeat the instant spray upon removing the wiper blade motor fuse. It's back to a half second delay with and without the wiper blade motor fuse right now.

The voltage in the relay pack under the air box is very confusing. I have a few 12 volt hot wires. One of them goes cold when the washer motor runs while several are cold with the motor off and only 0.15 volts when the switch to press give fluid is depressed.

I also found if the motor runs for too long it will shut off automatically. I really think it's this safety feature that is causing the unwanted delay. I'm going to do more testing later. Now I'm off to install my new AppRadio3. :D

I think the best thing to do is bypass all the relays under air box and put my own relay in that is powered off the signal from the MFS. I'll keep thinking about it.

Back