• Register Today It's free!

Windshield Wiper question??

Ty Webb

Reaction score
City, State
Cape Cod
Year, Model & Trim Level
96XLT
Can someone diagnose this issue.....My wipers seem to operate like the think they are "rain-sensing" wipers. During the intermittent settings the just seem to wipe whenver they want...especially on the first and second settings. If they are on the top 2 positions (consistent slow and fast modes) they work fine. Whats the deal?

thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well on the intermittent setting the wipers are speed-sensitive. The faster you go, the shorter the time gets between each wipe on the intermittent setting. Get it?

Originally posted by 03ExplorerSPT
Well on the intermittent setting the wipers are speed-sensitive. The faster you go, the shorter the time gets between each wipe on the intermittent setting. Get it?

They seem to just do wahtever they want at any speed. example...I was driving today with the cruise control set and there was very little rain coming down...I couldn't just keep the wipers on the first setting because they would start going way to fast for a minute or two and slow down to the way they should operate. There is just no consistancy to them whatsoever.

They have actually been doing this for over a year.....I just happened to find this forum tonight:)

thanks for any more help

possibly the motor itself??what else could it be?

i have the exact same problem, i think it could be something wrong with the wiper control staulk, but i have no idea...maybe some other people will chime in.

Scott

Electrical gremlins can be fun. Once, when diganosing some fuel pump issues, I unplugged the connector just before the fuel pump ground. With this connector unplugged, my wipers would run with the switch off. I didn't research it in detail, because it all works fine with the connector plugged in, so I don't know why. Anyway, I suspect you might have a simple bad connection somewhere. Could be in the motor, the multi-function switch, or somewhere in the wiring. As tedious as it can be, the best way to diagnose it is probably to get a wiring diagram and start tracing wires, checking voltages/resistances, until you find something out of place.

The wiper switch has bad contacts. I find that when mine starts acting up if i tap on the end of the wiper control it will usually settle down.

Back