• Register Today It's free!

Winter performance

The Scott

Reaction score
City, State
Cincinnati
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Explorer XLT
I have had plenty of AWD or 4WD vehicles and my 2008 explorer is the worst in the snow. I have the V6 and the auto4x4, high 4x4 etc in the dash. It is better in high 4x4 than auto.

Anyone else find this to be true? In snow around corners this thing is out of control if moving at a rate of speed that would be reasonable in my previous AWD/4x4 vehicles.

My tires are junk, new with lots of tread, but some off brand "National Courageous" that the used car lot put on. I realize this likely contributes to my lack of winter traction (they seem fine in summer and rain) but I would like to hear other opinions of this vehicles capabilities.

Thanks,
Scott

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Tires are everything. Been driving RWD G. Marquis' and Town Cars forever, and they are miserable in the snow. Putting studded snows on the back with weight over the rear axle makes them just drivable. But, I use studded snows on all four of the tires on my son's '95 G. Marquis, and it's like driving a Jeep! Slight exaggeration, but it's day and night difference from our other cars.

I'm thrilled with the capabilities of the Explorer in the snow, and it has cheap, but new Cooper Discoverer tires on it. You might have to mount up some more aggressive tires for winter use. How else are you going to keep 4,700 pounds attached to the road in a slippery turn? I notice our Explorer can at least keep up and stop as well as everyone around me, so no complaints here.

I don't really want this to be about tires, but just the general opinions about the explorer's winter capabilities. I would not put Cooper tires in the same category as what I am using, they are a real tire company with a good reputation!

Mine does surprisingly well. It does struggle a little in anything over 12". I'm running Nitto Highway Terrain tires. I use 4x4 high because I'd rather know its in than rely on the awd to kick in and out. Winter driving is all about the tires. Hands down. Sounds like you might need an upgrade.

But, it is the tires, no matter what vehicle is being compared. My otherwise identical cars handle infinitely different depending only on the tires used. There are areas you are not allowed to drive, unless you have chains. The only difference between safely navigating these areas, or not, is the tires.

Probably something needs to be fixed on your Explorer.

I have not driven my son's Explorer in the snow and ice conditions of winter. My son is used to full time 4x4 and says his 2007 Explorer V8 works well. He has Hankook winter tires (came with them) at about 7/32" of tread. He is hunting (cross bow) now and loves the unplowed roads. No problems for him, but braking on ice could use some improvement he says.

The large tire companies spend a lot of money developing their tires with better ingredients to the "rubber mix" and the technology. I don't think it fair to compare an Explorer with "junk" tires to your previous vehicles. Next to an upgrade to winter tires, you may want to have your brakes and wheel alignment checked. In wet and dry conditions rubbing brakes (seizing caliper pins or caliper pistons) and wheel alignment issues may not be that noticeable but in snow and ice conditions the vehicle balance may be affected significantly.

Good luck.

Town may be on to something - I would get all of those issues checked, but I am in agreement with the majority of people in this thread - tires, in winter, make the biggest difference - this has been my personal experience.

Mine does great in the snow, even when it was stock with all terrains mounted. Most of the time I threw some sand bags in the bed over the axel and I was able to get most places in 2wd but if needed I could flip into 4x4 (I dont have the auto function). My mom's old ex also handled snow well. Both trucks did well in snow I think. Just can't go fast and take it easy and you're golden.

I use mine for plowing and I know you do not want to hear it, but tires are everything. 2 winetrs ago my tires were shot, and I could not move without the snow in front of me, once I put new tires, different world.

nery is right, tires are everything... I had a 97 Lincoln town car with winter treads, 30 miles one way to work, never been stuck... My explore is actually great in the snow has good year something on it... Between wed afternoon and this am we got close to a foot of snow where I live... didnt have any problems driving around. I work for the gas company so I drive literally up a mountain lol

Just drove in my first snow with my 2006 v6 yesterday. I purchased it back in August and have been waiting to see how it would do in PA winters. It actually amazed me how well it drove. Compared to the 2005 and 2007 F150's I had, the Explorer is fantastic. I was driving without traction control and sometimes 4x4 high up and down steep snowy hills without problem. Tires are Michelin cross terrains with a little less than half tread left.

Thanks for the responses, I just wanted to know if your experiences in snow were better than mine. This is a company car so I am just trying to figure out if we need to upgrade the tires. Everything else, brakes, calipers, etc has been gone through when it was purchased this summer.

I work for a rubber company and was previously an engineer for an automotive OEM, so I fully understand how tires affect a vehicle, I just wanted to know if this vehicle can be capable in the snow an it sounds like it can be. My other cars, BMW and Mercedes and Toyota awd/4x4 were nothing short of snow machines, so I am stunned how bad this thing is in its current setup.

These trucks are like tanks in the snow. Point in the direction you want to go and it just goes. You need real tires , its certainly not the truck.

no problems in the snow at all tho good tires are the key

I have no issues with my 08 it too is a V6 4x4 in the snow goes just fine I do tend to use the 4x4 high rather than auto. Mine could use some more aggressive tires but overall I am happy with my Explorer!

tires are everything in the snow! even an H1 on bald tires is a slip n slide waiting to happen. ill throw my two cents in and recommend the goodyear duratracs. best tires ive ever run in the snow. i drive up and down the sierra mountains during snowboarding season, and ive never felt safer than when im in my explorer sitting on duratracs.

You post about being miserable when cornering in slippery conditions, then don't want to hear that the cheap tires on yours are the problem?

I have Hankook Winter I-Pike RW11 snow tires on our 07 explorer, and quite frankly find it to be a better snow vehicle than my F150s, current and past, my past 97 explorer, and my past jeep Cherokee... Literally feels like a point and shoot type of driving experience.

Snow tires made a major difference, particularly in making lateral traction much, much more predictable. My all season tires on the 07 are Michelin latitude tours for comparison sake...

I am not sure how else to say this. I know tires make a difference, I feel dumber having to say that. I find it interesting that most of you think people who ask questions must be stupid or have never worked on a car. Before I put that company $$ into the car I wanted to make sure this explorer was worth it. This is my first Ford and quite frankly my opinion of UAW/Big 3 vehicles is quite poor, but we are giving this a shot. There are some cars where snow tires will not make that vehicle good in the snow for lots of reasons.

Moderator please lock his thread, I think we have accomplished all we needed to do.....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Don't think anyone called you stupid. You yourself called the tires currently on yours "junk". Point being that most folks find their explorers to be very adequate snow performers, when equipped properly. Yours is not.

Replace the tires.

I run mine is 4x4 high when roads are fully snow covered - I find it more predictable.

Back