Winter performance | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Winter performance

I am not sure how else to say this. I know tires make a difference, I feel dumber having to say that. I find it interesting that most of you think people who ask questions must be stupid or have never worked on a car. Before I put that company $$ into the car I wanted to make sure this explorer was worth it. This is my first Ford and quite frankly my opinion of UAW/Big 3 vehicles is quite poor, but we are giving this a shot. There are some cars where snow tires will not make that vehicle good in the snow for lots of reasons.

Moderator please lock his thread, I think we have accomplished all we needed to do.....

I got what you were saying, I admit I was apprehensive about my explorer in the snow. I have only had my Explorer for a few months and overall I am pleased with it. I feel the cornering in snow could be better. This vehicle is heavy and certainly something I have had to get used to here in Ohio with our recent snow fall. I previously had a Jeep Cherokee and I felt pretty confident driving that in snow and it cornered far worse in the snow than my Explorer. My opinion would be throw some money into the tires and have a good ride!

I know that you don't want to hear about the tires so, here it goes. From the factory my vehicle would engauge RSC regularly when cornering (90 degree with the vehicle already traveling, not from a stop) on packed snow with or without 6" ruts in the snow starting at speeds of 15 MPH. In the first year I had to have two ABS snap rings replaced due to coming off or a tooth getting chipped. Tires aside, since I had all of the ABS snap rings inspected and reseated I have not had any more issues with the RSC system wanting to prematurely/excessively engauge.

I have had plenty of AWD or 4WD vehicles and my 2008 explorer is the worst in the snow. I have the V6 and the auto4x4, high 4x4 etc in the dash. It is better in high 4x4 than auto.

Anyone else find this to be true? In snow around corners this thing is out of control if moving at a rate of speed that would be reasonable in my previous AWD/4x4 vehicles.

My tires are junk, new with lots of tread, but some off brand "National Courageous" that the used car lot put on. I realize this likely contributes to my lack of winter traction (they seem fine in summer and rain) but I would like to hear other opinions of this vehicles capabilities.

Thanks,
Scott

I think your tires and/or shocks are the the entire problem. I don't even have top of the line tires (Kelly Safari Signature in 265/60R18), and I have to actively WORK at making the truck uncomposed in the snow. My Mounty just sticks to the ground like glue, even with the traction control disabled.

Scotty,
You asked what everybody else thought about their trucks in the snow, and you have lots of responses from people who love their Explorer/Mounty in the snow. And you can add me to that list.

Why do you feel that people are not answering your question. I hear nobody telling you that they feel their truck stinks in the snow. All replies say they are fine, and if they don't state that, it's implied.

So consider your questions answered:
We all are at least satisfied with our truck's performance in snow.

Now...go get some new tires. I'm very happy with my BFGoodrich Long Trails.

Back