Winter Tires? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Winter Tires?

I'm currently running 285 75 16 Federal Couragia M/T on Pickle, but, they're pretty skittish on gravel roads and I don't think they're gonna be too great in the snow either....

I'm looking for a recommendation for winter tires... what do you guys use? I'm going to be using the same size and sticking them on my Limited rims...

Thanks guys

Si

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would go with General Grabber AT2's or GoodYear DuraTrac's. I run the DuraTrac's and love them. Both tires I suggested are studdable and extremly siped for the best traction on snow and especially ice.

Bridgestone Blizzak's on my Pathfinder. So far so good. 32" BFG A/T's had seen snow on my Ex, very impressed as well.

My buddy runs firestone winterforce on his truck. Ive seen him keep the truck in 2wd and do stuff I didnt think was possible in the snow without 4 wheel drive. Pretty impressive in the snow.

In that size, tirerack only lists the Winterforce tire. It's a great tire, but I'd really consider going narrower. The wider the tire, the less contact pressure it has on the ground. When traction is limited by snow or ice, you want as much contact pressure as you can get.

Other good tires available in smaller sizes:
General Altimax Arctic
Continental ExtremeWinterContact

One other benefit of running a smaller tire- they are MUCH cheaper.

You could put together a 15" wheel and tire package for a little more than what those 285's would cost for tires alone.

I can't use tirerack up here... too expensive.. I'd like to keep 33" tires on my truck at least, so not sure how wide to go etc....

Si

One option to consider is getting some tires siped.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/tireSiping.dos

I had this done in the past with a pair on my Paseo. I had a pair of studded tires, but the studs were falling out, and wearing fast. The tire dealer traded them out for a pair that were siped with their machine. I was pretty impressed with them. The tread wore evenly across the tire.

Not sure on how they would last on an Explorer though. My Paseo is light and front wheel drive. An Explorer is heavy and four wheel drive. Pry be fine :dunno:

Back