• Register Today It's free!

Wiring diagram

Ronjm

Reaction score
City, State
Sydney NEW SOUTH WALES
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer XLT 1997 4L SOHC
Hi guys just wondering if someone could give me a wiring diagram for a 97 xlt from VSS to PCM so I can trace wires. cheers

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's a 4.0 SOHC V6

It's a 4.0 SOHC V6
@Ronjm
Sorry this took so long. Here is the pinout of the PCM connections for 1996 Explorer 4.0L SOHC:

If illegible, let me know, I'll make it larger. Do you understand Ford's color-codes? imp

Thanks thats great but I need to know where the VSS wire goes does it go directly to the PCM or does it branch off somewhere before hand then go to PCM.

??? I thought '97 was the first year for the SOHC. Did Ford send some down under a year before the US got the SOHC?

Ronjm you can look through the wiring diagrams linked in my sig but I don't know if they apply to your vehicle, nor which one (file among them) you'll need.

Maybe mine has a build date of 10/1996 with a SOHC

Go to EBSCOhost Login

and login with
user-s8921298
password-password

And click AutoMate. That will have the specific wiring diagrams for your year.

Thanks thats great but I need to know where the VSS wire goes does it go directly to the PCM or does it branch off somewhere before hand then go to PCM.
@Ronjm
I have the answer for you at hand. Give me awhile while I scan it: in short, the VSS wires go as shown here:

Both wires from the VSS go to the Speed Control Servo/Amplifier Assembly.

Thanks imp thats great do they go anywhere after the speed servo?

Thanks imp thats great do they go anywhere after the speed servo?
@Ronjm
Yes, and I only spotted that today. The VSS has 2 wires coming from it, one is grounded. The other goes to the Generic Electronic Module (GEM), as well as the speed control servo, and also to Pin 33 of the PCM.

And, I must apologize again; last night I overlooked the fact that I failed to show the entire pinout of the PCM. I will post that tonight. No idea of time now where you are, it is 3PM here on Monday.
imp

No problems thanks so do you know where it goes 1st then 2nd etc. It's 9am Tues here in Oz

No problems thanks so do you know where it goes 1st then 2nd etc. It's 9am Tues here in Oz
@Ronjm
The connections are all in parallel. IOW, the signal wire from VSS goes to each of the three places, all hooked together. imp

Maybe mine has a build date of 10/1996 with a SOHC
Does it have a VIN number? If so the 10th character in it should be "T" for '96 and "V" for '97.

Yes vin has a "V"

Back