• Register Today It's free!

Wiring for a 4406E

JerryB2

Reaction score
City, State
Lubbock,TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1986 Bronco2
I have a 1997 4.0 2 dr. Sport. I have a donor 1998 5.0 with Automatic and is AWD.I am going to swap every thing but the transfer case. I want to use a 4406E transfer case. I have seen complete swaps using manual shift case, .I might add very good posts. I do not want to shift manually. I have not found a good illustraded swap or a good wiring diagram. Can some one help?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi Jerry, is your truck a 4WD now? The wiring and the fuel tank clearance are the only issues I think. If you have 4WD already, then the clearance for the shift motor will be the only question, which I think is no big deal for the 2dr.

i do know that on a 4door you can put the small sport fuel tank in and use a electric shift 4406 i looked at doing this but went through with the manual version and have been through hell and back looking for the shift linkage and stick because to hell if im giving tasca my fist born lol, so i say if you can work it out do the e shift

i do know that on a 4door you can put the small sport fuel tank in and use a electric shift 4406 i looked at doing this but went through with the manual version and have been through hell and back looking for the shift linkage and stick because to hell if im giving tasca my fist born lol, so i say if you can work it out do the e shift
Thank you . You are so right. salvage yards seem to pull the cases, leave linkage and shifters in the body and crush the rest .I want to use a 1998 case because of problems with the speedometer. I still need a wiring schematic. I did this kind of work for years, but hard to start a trip with out a road map

Your 97 4WD V6 truck already has the 4WD wiring in place, including the three modules That are required(GEM/TOD/4WD). As I recall, all you need is to identify the 4WD wiring in your V6 engine/trans harness, and include them with the V8 harness.

The 98-01 computers require a couple of unique circuits, which are hell for a non-Explorer. But you have an Explorer, and the donor Explorer for the odd parts. The speedometer signal is one of those you'll need to wire in using the 98 donor truck parts.

The 98 PCM doesn't use the VSS sensor that you have on the back of your 97 trans, it uses the ABS sensor from the diff(but not directly from it). You do need the ABS module from the donor truck, that's a critical part used for the VSS circuit. The PCM and speedometer get the VSS signal from the ABS module, unlike your 97 truck that take it straight from the trans(speed sensor(VSS)). Don't ask why Ford did that, just accept that everyone doing these swaps has dealt with the issue. The good thing is that your donor has the needed parts. There is also a G-force sensor that began in 1998, so it's needed for the 98-01 PCM's also. That's on the frame rail just behind the fuel filter, it's a small 1x2x1" module. Doing that wiring will be the hardest part, I'd do it when the engine is out.

Don , thank you so much. You have given me so much need info. I have spent hours trying to put this puzzle together. My name is Jerry. I am an OLD retired Ford tech . I started the idea of this build several years ago .My first idea was to use a Bronco2. and a Explorer drive train. O

time , health issues
Don , thank you so much. You have given me so much need info. I have spent hours trying to put this puzzle together. My name is Jerry. I am an OLD retired Ford tech . I started the idea of this build several years ago .My first idea was to use a Bronco2. and a Explorer drive train. After a long illness and time to think it out, I DESCITED TO USE A 2 DR. Explorer you and CDW6212 have been a great help. now, if I live long enough may be I CAN DO THIS THING.

There are lots of great people here Jerry. I expect that you will find plenty with similar passion to help others. I've got my own long list of projects too. My 99 Limited for mail delivery is now, then my 91 Mark VII, then my Black Coal, and maybe I can get to my 73/72 Ranchero some day. Lots to do, just got to keep working on things.

There are lots of great people here Jerry. I expect that you will find plenty with similar passion to help others. I've got my own long list of projects too. My 99 Limited for mail delivery is now, then my 91 Mark VII, then my Black Coal, and maybe I can get to my 73/72 Ranchero some day. Lots to do, just got to keep working on things.
Tell me a bout the MK V11.

Tell me about the MK V11

It's a Special Edition(no chrome, all body color or black trim), which I got to replace one I wrecked in 1997. I've got most of the interior of my old one, and a 347 to put in soon. I bought 2002 Mustang wiring(all) to retrofit and make use of the OBDII, and a 4R70W trans. So the wiring will be a hell of a task, but I look forward to it. I need to pick up a body kit made for it by a long gone maker, it's known as a GTC kit since there was a rare late 80's few put together specially by a dealer or two. I liked the kit since they are very subtle, and I have to repaint the whole car. I got some ALSA candy concentrate(Blood Red) to make a tint coat, alter the dark red it is already, slightly. Here's my first 91 LSC/SE, with the stock SE wheels then. I have 94 Cobra wheels on my current car.

1991 Mark VII LSC SE.jpg

It's a Special Edition(no chrome, all body color or black trim), which I got to replace one I wrecked in 1997. I've got most of the interior of my old one, and a 347 to put in soon. I bought 2002 Mustang wiring(all) to retrofit and make use of the OBDII, and a 4R70W trans. So the wiring will be a hell of a task, but I look forward to it. I need to pick up a body kit made for it by a long gone maker, it's known as a GTC kit since there was a rare late 80's few put together specially by a dealer or two. I liked the kit since they are very subtle, and I have to repaint the whole car. I got some ALSA candy concentrate(Blood Red) to make a tint coat, alter the dark red it is already, slightly. Here's my first 91 LSC/SE, with the stock SE wheels then. I have 94 Cobra wheels on my current car.

View attachment 150570
Very ice. Does it still have the air bag suspension?

Yes, at the moment. I'm pondering whether an 03 Cobra IRS will fit or be too much trouble. When I do the wiring, the air springs will come out, the front I'll use a Mustang SN95 spindle etc, I have those and the Cobra rotors too. Here it is with the dead paint, it was fading when I got it in 2002. But the wheels look nice right?

Signature-3.jpg

Back