Wiring harness part no. for front airbag sensor? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wiring harness part no. for front airbag sensor?

Sweersa

Reaction score
City, State
Marne, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ford Explorer XLT
My front airbag sensor for my 2005 Explorer XLT is corroded and broken and needs to be replaced (air bag code 42)

I also have to replace the wiring harness as that is badly corroded too.

I have already acquired the Air Bag Center Sensor & Bracket # 2C5Z-14B006-AA

Can anyone tell me what wiring harness I need?

I ordered a WPT-490 but it was backwards (basically a reflection of what I needed)

The WPT-292 and WPT-1052 both appear to be what I need, but I want to be 100% sure before spending another ~$35 for an oem part.

Here's a few pictures of what I have that's broken. (I already have the more expensive sensor on hand)

zxh7kE.jpg

yLi6YR.jpg

I ordered a WPT-292. I'll update this thread after the repair for anyone interested or having to replace the harness.

The repair was a success! I cut out the badly corroded wiring harness and wired in the new WPT-292 to replace it and then replaced the bad sensor with a new one. No more code 42.

I hope this thread helps anyone who finds it with a similar issue. It would have been a lot easier to work on by removing the front bumper, but it can be done if you work patiently and carefully around it.

Also, make sure to disconnect the negative terminal on the battery before working on any airbag components, and wait at least a minute before proceeding with the job.

That is a pretty great write up. I just had the 42 code come up in my 05 Explorer and was glad to see that this is a pretty easy fix. I just ordered the bracket and sensor part but Im not sure if I will need to get the wpt-292 wire assembly or not. I haven't taken the old sensor off however I took a picture of the old sensor and it appears corroded where it snaps into the sensor. My biggest question is where did you wire in the new assembly or does it connect on the other end as well? Did you splice into the old wire and if you did where? Thanks so much in advance and Im certainly following this thread for when I do the repair.

Back