2018 Powered Rear View Mirror with Dashcam Plug | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2018 Powered Rear View Mirror with Dashcam Plug

TwoEcho27

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Interceptor Utility
I purchased a harness that plugs into the cable for the rear view mirror and has a USB port spliced in for my dashcam. This works. What I would like to do, however, is have my dashcam get constant power so the parking mode will work. Right now, if I turn off my Ex, the dashcam loses power as well. Is there a fuse jumper s|tting somewhere to make the mirror - and thusly the dashcam - always on, or no?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I purchased a harness that plugs into the cable for the rear view mirror and has a USB port spliced in for my dashcam. This works. What I would like to do, however, is have my dashcam get constant power so the parking mode will work. Right now, if I turn off my Ex, the dashcam loses power as well. Is there a fuse jumper s|tting somewhere to make the mirror - and thusly the dashcam - always on, or no?
in the fuse panel can you use a fuse tap to one that gets constant power? can always add wiring to make it reach the cam.

in the fuse panel can you use a fuse tap to one that gets constant power? can always add wiring to make it reach the cam.
I was trying to avoid running a dedicated cable or splicing into the A pillar. I have a spotlight there -its a PIU - and I don't want to end up messing up the wiring or causing any damage to that area that may end up messing with the weatherproofing there and causing a hole in the area.

I was trying to avoid running a dedicated cable or splicing into the A pillar. I have a spotlight there -its a PIU - and I don't want to end up messing up the wiring or causing any damage to that area that may end up messing with the weatherproofing there and causing a hole in the area.
oh, ok. not too sure then, as im not faniliar with the 5g let alone the piu

If it's a PIU, first download the up fitter guide...it's free. Then, find the 14 pin connector (or buy one) for the 14 pin police connector just under the radio. You'll find this connector has all types of power options for installing gear. You will need to run the cable under the a pillar....which isn't a big deal.

Anyone know how to take the a pillar cover off? My Google fu is failing and I can't find the answer with search on the site here, either. Thanks!

Edit: interior, not exterior.

Anyone know how to take the a pillar cover off? My Google fu is failing and I can't find the answer with search on the site here, either. Thanks!

Simple. Pull. It's held in with clips. I started at the top.

Check this post and others in the thread; Interior A-Pillar covers

Peter

Thanks, Matt and Peter. I'll give it a shot this weekend.

Back