witch explorer should I get 4.0 4x4 or 5.0 awd? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

witch explorer should I get 4.0 4x4 or 5.0 awd?

fordnut96

Reaction score
City, State
grove city ohio 43123
I am in the market for buying a second generation explorer I am wondering how well the 5.0 awd explorer's do in the snow compared to the 4.0 sohc 4x4 explorer's my mom's 2003 explorer xlt 4.0 4x4 does great in the snow but how well whould a 5.0 awd do vs the 4.0 4x4? I am leaning towards the 5.0 because of the stronger motor/trans what do you guys think?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

a 5.0 roller motor for sure. You lose in MPG's 2 fold because of AWD, and 5.0 but gain in strength and daily traction.

a 5.0 roller motor for sure. You lose in MPG's 2 fold because of AWD, and 5.0 but gain in strength and daily traction.

I went from a '00 Sport with 4WD and 4.0 SOHC to a '99 EB with AWD and 5.0.

I saw no drop in mileage, despite the larger truck (10" longer).

The 5.0 drivetrain is bombproof. The 4.0 SOHC has it's share of costly problems (cough, cough timing chains).

Luckily my '00 Sport was under warranty when my truck started sounding like a diesel and I got the timing chain work done for free.

No brainer. 5.0 or nothing in the 2nd gen. As much as the 4.0 OHV is more reliable than SOHC, I owned one and it's just too sluggish for me. I'd never own anything but a 5.0 equipped 2nd gen now.

I love my 5.0. I hate my gas mileage. ;)

I've had 3 4.0 OHVs. My last one was a sport, and now I have a 2000 Limited V8 AWD.

I actually noticed about 1MPG more out of the V8. That was great, but even if it got less, I would still go for it. The power is a perfect match for our Explorers, plus there are so many more mods, and it sounds amazing. I personally hated how all my V6's sounded. On top of all that greatness, they're so much more reliable and strong too! I'm going at about 170,000 now, original everything (Besides belt, plugs/wires etc, usual easy stuff).

5.0L HANDS DOWN...

2WD or AWD....

Not even an 'opinion' anymore....it's fact that they are the most reliable drivetrain out there.

Ryan

The ONLY THING I "kind of" miss is having 2WD, and selectable Auto or 4 Low.

BUT if it was that big of a deal, I would just swap the 4406 in. :)

5.0L for sure, plus you always get posi.

I have owned 6 Explorers, all 4.0l equipped. Some OHVs, some SOHCs.

I say the 5.0l.

Owned several 1st gen 4.0's and never thought they were sluggish, just bought a 00' 5.0 AWD and dont know how i lasted soo long without it! The fuel mileage meter i have actually is pretty accurate, im getting about 16.2 mpg's when my computer says its 16.0. and its all worht it for the power and ride

My 4.0 is quite a bit old (92) but compared to that my 2000 5.0 AWD was incredible. I imagine that even compared to a newer 4.0 it would be significantly better.

I had never had an AWD before my 2000 either but I was amazed at how well it did in the snow. Even with less aggressive tires than other trucks I had it never saw anything it couldn't get through. I imagine that would have changed with a lot of off-roading but for back country roads and my friend's farm it was great.

As far as mileage, whenever I compare V-6s and V-8s I always ask myself if 3 or 4 mpg's is really worth the performance lost. In my case anything under mid 20s is abysmal as far as I'm concerned so I always vote for the extra power. I'd rather have it and not need it than the other way around.

I had my 5.0 out in all the bad snowstorms of last winter that we got in western PA and never had trouble. If you look at fueleconomy.gov, it underestimates what I get mileage wise (16.5 according to the onboard comp which seems to be about right), but it does say that the gas mileage is only 1 or 2 mpg worse than the 4.0L and I believe it. Definitely worth it.

how is the awd controlled?

is the awd like the auto in the third generation explorer's or is it switch controlled like the second generation 4.0's?

The AWD in mine (Mercury Mountaineer) was completely automatic and there was no way to switch it off.

5.0 all the way baby!!!

I am in the market for buying a second generation explorer I am wondering how well the 5.0 awd explorer's do in the snow compared to the 4.0 sohc 4x4 explorer's my mom's 2003 explorer xlt 4.0 4x4 does great in the snow but how well whould a 5.0 awd do vs the 4.0 4x4? I am leaning towards the 5.0 because of the stronger motor/trans what do you guys think?
For an old fart(soon to be 65) like me, my 96 XLT 4.0 OHV Control Track 4x4 does plenty good. The pulling power from the 4.0 amazes me. 17+ MPG here in Omaha to 21 MPG on the highway. I couldn't believe how it pulled hills in Colorado. But if you want to run with the big dogs, the 5.0 is definately better. I guess I spent too many years driving big old slow trucks to get in a big hurry any more.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back