• Register Today It's free!

Wobble

eqppwqqep

Reaction score
City, State
Jackson, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 4WD
My 02 Ex 4.0 4x4 (I guess that is important to know for help?) has a crazy side to side, lateral wiggle when accelerating from a standstill. Waddles like a fat chick. More pronounced at 20MPH. Once I get to highway speed, it isn't really a wiggle as much as just a vibration. I have replaced toe links and all four bearings. Front tie rods look good. I am replacing UCA in the front tonight. I have lifted each wheel and tried to wiggle for play and only the front left has play. I am wondering if it is a bad tire? Literally, if you take off from a red light going straight, you will feel like it swing side to side until you get up to about 50MPH and then it calms down and just bounces. Any ideas? Local shop says nothing is out of line except the bad ball joint in the front (boot is gone from front ball joint UCA). Wobble is pronounced in steering wheel, but I can't tell if it is a front or rear thing.

Front UCA ball joint is toast. I am replacing both tonight. If I turn right and load the front right wheel, it gets really bad. But I can't test to see if that is the cause of the waddle or not. Any advice?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Alright...I figured it out. Replaced both UCA in the front and it still wobbled. Watch both rear rims and couldn't see a wobble. rotated back left for front right and wobble went from "fishtail" to the stearing wheel wobbling. Replaced front right wheel with spare, wobble disappeared. Walked the tire down the driveway and noticed it had a high spot at one point on the tire. It goes from being nearly flat to a giant bulge on the tire face only on the outside edge. It's not like a belt separated on the side where you get a bulge. It bulged on the tread. I've never seen this. Taking it to the shop in the AM to get an estimate on a prorated tire.

Reading through the thread, thats what I figured it would be. The place you bought the tire should absolutely replace it with a prorated tire. Lets us know how you make out.

Good Luck
shooked <///><

Back