Wolf's '93 Sport Getting A '94 'stang 5.0 and 4R70W '99 v8 X tranny | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wolf's '93 Sport Getting A '94 'stang 5.0 and 4R70W '99 v8 X tranny

Wolf's '93 Sport Getting A '94 'stang 5.0 and 4R70W '99 v8 X tranny (Completed)

Pre-note, now that I have confused everyone with a name change, took me a while to find my real login seeing I forgot what it was in the 2 years since I had last used it :) but I'm back!... now on with the show...

Ok, in the first thread I started (link here soon as I figure out how..) I was taking suggestions on what to use for the swap, well, now my mind is made up... and here is whats on it :D

Engine: '94 5.0lt EFI mustang motor, w/ all accories around 70k miles on it, need to get more info from the person I'm getting it from
-going with the '94 due to the shorter front for the much needed space in the X

Wiring:
Motor: '93 mustang harness, EEC-IV -going this route because of the EEC-IV adapts to mods much better then the post '94 computers
-going to wire the harness myself, that way its wired the way I want it, and run underhood the way I want

Trans: Baumann Engineering TCS, this unit will stand alone control the Aod-E/4R70W trans, unit using some of the EEC wiring for data to control the shift points and thottle kick down
-I dont think anyone else has gone this route, so I'll keep everyone up to date on how it works out

Trans/T-Case:
Trans: 4R70W, brand new '99 5.0 Explorer Trans *will not bolt up to the B/W 1350 t-case* also I dont know what the length is yet, still wating on them, if this trans is way over/under 29" overall its out and I'll be going with a Aod-E and a AA tailshaft kit

T-Case: Seeing that the 4R70W will not bolt up the b/w 1350 T-Case with out adapter, I'm looking to go with a Atlas T-Case, yeah it cost alot, but I'm already putting in a better motor/trans... why stop there *1 (see foot note)

Swap Adapters/kits:
This is the only part I cant make up my mind on =) I like the look of the L&L mounts, might end up going with duff for some of the other stuff also, I'll figure this out in the next 2 weeks

Overview: *1 (see foot note)
Reasons I have for going this route with this swap..
Well... I have a few reasons for going electronic with the trans, I really like the idea of being able to set the shift points, converter lockup, turning the OD on/off with a button. As for the hard parts of the trans, its a newer model year, parts should be easyer to find, from what i have heard its one of the stronger ones also, the lower gearing is a big plus, thats less $$ I need to spend on regearing the front and rear diffs untill I go over 31" tires and it should give the truck better highway/road performance. The T-Case... Atlas II 3.8:1 that speaks for itself :D , few of the hidden advantages to the atlas t-case is I can pull the ford t-case control box out of my rear sail panel which would give enough room probably for a onboard air compressor....
More info and PICTURES! to follow (I would have pics of the duff 2.5" stage 2 install, but I didnt want to kill my digital cam)

FootNote!
*1- results may vary on a person to person basis ;)

General Disclamer: Most info I have I have gathered in the last 2 weeks, most people wont agree with the Aod-E tranny, if ya dont like it, pay me way too much money and do the swap the way you think it should be done :p
All reasons and overview are my opinion, Please try not to spam this thread with flames

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Talk about bringing up an old thread! Looks like an awesome swap with some quality harware. Geoff, how'd it turn out?

WE WANT PICS!!!!!!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Well... yeah talk about bringing up a old thread, work is stillllll in progress, been short on time and $$ (either have one or the other lately) right now all that is left is the wireing (have a ford master tech that has done a few swaps before) as someone else said, L&L mounts + Duff headers BAD I now have to pull them out and get another set, also just found out that FMS headers are discontinued :mad: :(

So as it stands, need headers, exaust, wireing
in progress work is trans cooler lines (aero-quip fitting and braded lines)

biggest hang up has been the headers though long headers are way bad for this swap, esp on a 4x4 my drivers side header hits the front pinion yoke, and the pass side is tight on the tranny and lays out bad on the cross member....

when everything is said and done I'll post some pics of the final monster and report back on how the trans/t-case/rear gearing pans out

Next to come after swap is up and running:
Diskbrake rear with possible gearing change+locker (arb/e-lock sort)
True false floor rear storage compartment w/ batt mounts, on board air, tools ect
Rear bumper/tire carrier (need to do something with that 33x12.50x15 BFG MT spare :)

Well, the L&L headers are in, fit... not too bad, my tranny dip stick wont fit now though, nor will the oil dipstick tube, drivers side header output is close to the front diff but that should be able to be worked around by the exaust shop, as for the wiring hang ups I just keep sidetracking myself when i'm trying to work on it, i should be able to get it done now, just a matter of hooking it all up, my trans to cooling line fittings are still mia on special order, motor turns over at the least =)

Throttle cable i'm going to try some Lokar Cable and bracket (street rod gear, found from Summit Racing) along with Lokar's oil dipsick tube

*things that I have noticed that I would change, Motor is too far foward, (clearance is less then a inch between the flex fan and radiatior)

Nice... Can't wait to see the finished product.

gettin closer

well for the next trick I just ordered lokar dip sticks, throttle cable, and a few russel ford fuel rail fittings

hopefully i'll have the beast running by the end of next week

still have that working a4ld? I need one to get me by for a while till I can do my carbed 302 swap

my blown to bits a4ld is sitting next to my shop, not much good anymore.....

alright... pics! new pics finally :D

OilStick24.jpg

Oilstick and DS header
TrannylineHeader211.jpg

New trannyline AN fittings and clearence of the header
ExpTranstick.jpg

ExpTranstick2.jpg

New trans and oil sticks
DSHeader215.jpg

DSHeader216.jpg

DS header to diff clearance

thats it for now... more to come soon

Well... I guess I got the wireing right cause... IT RUNS! the beast is now running and in the shop getting the exaust done... I'll get pics of it all together when i get the truck back, going to be in the exaust shop for about 3-4 days

that exhaust makes me nervos. TOO close to the diff, Whats going to happen when the left side front suspension is compressed? other than that thing is basd ass

OK, exausted... waiting for the truck to get the headers tied in, for the clearence issue, the drivers side is no biggy, that collector adaptor isnt getting used, the passenger side header is getting pulled, angle cut and reweilded, process is going slow cause of unforseen problems at the shop its gettign done at
The trottle cable is going to be a minor nightmare...
I WANT MY TRUCK BACK :)

Looks great! A lot of work huh? I'm interested to see how you underhood temps are with the headers you are running.

Are you making the tranny lines or having them done?

Originally posted by RiverRat
Looks great! A lot of work huh? I'm interested to see how you underhood temps are with the headers you are running.

Are you making the tranny lines or having them done?

Tranny lines are braded stainless w/ russel ends, as for the underhood temps that should be interesting to see... might have to put a extra temp gauge under there

I've enjoyed reading your story and really, really hope to see a happy ending... soon.

good luck!

You are a brave guy.

Wolf,

I was wondering if you had more pics of your trans cooler lines and how you routed them?

Do you have part # or specs on the fittings you used on the tranny to adapt to the braided lines?

I used the 1996 explorer steel lines but am thinking about re doing them so I can get them farther away from the exhaust.

Originally posted by RiverRat
Wolf,

I was wondering if you had more pics of your trans cooler lines and how you routed them?

Do you have part # or specs on the fittings you used on the tranny to adapt to the braided lines?

I used the 1996 explorer steel lines but am thinking about re doing them so I can get them farther away from the exhaust.

I'll check and see if I can find the part numbers, as for the routing.... that was easy to get it away from the exaust, I spent around $500 to have my nice shiny new header removed, cut up, reweilded/rerouted and exaust all tied in... I'll get some pics up when i have a chance :cool:

done for the most part....

swap 99.9% done, just need a tach now, had to replace my fuel sender unit, fuel gauge and one of the lines broke...
other things left now are new drive shafts, need a front and rear one, truck is now lifted even more, running 6" front springs, and SoA+shackles in rear

All in all, driving the truck is great, trans/rear ratio is perfect with the 33's, and thanks to the tire size the truck also passed emissions testing :p

And somehow in all this my speedo came out right... not sure how

so the to-do list stands at...
Rear Driveshaft (lengthened or new)
Front driveshaft (shortened)
Tach (swap out tach driver)
Fix few wiring issues (nothing major)
Program shift computer

Nonswap related things...
Front bumper
Rear bumper /tire carrer/gas can/high lift/shovel/axe mounts
Rear Compartment setup
Rock sliders

Congrats on your project! Looks like it's coming along great.

The truck does look nice.. I've seen it in person.. Hopefully you got that driveshaft problem taken care of..

Back