Won't move after changing trans fluid | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Won't move after changing trans fluid

63falcondude

Reaction score
City, State
Toms River, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer EB
I'm stumped. Drained the transmission fluid, removed the filter, and pulled out the valve body to replace the gaskets. Replaced the filter and trans pan gasket then put 4 quarts of Mercon V fluid in.

Now when I shift into reverse, drive, 2, 1, or 4WD it doesn't move. I can push it when it's in Neutral. Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you certain that you engaged the manual valve pin upon reassembly? Also which engine? I assume V6, so with a Valve Body drop, you are looking more in the neighborhood of 7 quarts. Another possibility is missing filter o-rings.

The filter needs to be perfectly sealed into the receiving cylinder.
Basically if you scratched the bore when you removed the old plastic ring or if you didn't install correctly the new ring, the pump it will "suck" air via that bypass, instead of oil.

Are you certain that you engaged the manual valve pin upon reassembly? Also which engine? I assume V6, so with a Valve Body drop, you are looking more in the neighborhood of 7 quarts. Another possibility is missing filter o-rings.

At first I didn't and I couldn't move the shifting lever at all. I fixed that.

4.0L V6 SOHC

Haynes Manual says 4 quarts.

The filter needs to be perfectly sealed into the receiving cylinder.
Basically if you scratched the bore when you removed the old plastic ring or if you didn't install correctly the new ring, the pump it will "suck" air via that bypass, instead of oil.

I installed the o rings on the new filter. Is the filter supposed to snap into place?

And you have the 4x4 filter I assume? So a pan drop is 3.5 quarts, and VB drop you will need at least a couple more quarts for that. I seem to recall needing 7 to do VB gaskets, but I may be confused. The filter pushes in, and of course the center bolt keeps it in.

And you have the 4x4 filter I assume? So a pan drop is 3.5 quarts, and VB drop you will need at least a couple more quarts for that. I seem to recall needing 7 to do VB gaskets, but I may be confused. The filter pushes in, and of course the center bolt keeps it in.

Pretty sure it's the 4x4 filter. I'll check to make sure. I held the filter in place and bolted it through the center. Maybe I didn't push it in hard enough? And I'll just have to double check the fluid specs.

I am reading on other threads that people use around 7 quarts like you said. There is between 4-5 quarts in mine now and fluid is a good 12" or so up on the dipstick. I let it run for about 10 mins but can't drive it to heat it up how it should be to test.

I used the bolt from the original filter instead of the supplied bolt. Could that be a problem?

AT fluid is measured with engine running, because when internal pump is working, the level in the pan drops.
If you have the same level between engine off and running, then the pump is not sucking oil from the pan.

AT fluid is measured with engine running, because when internal pump is working, the level in the pan drops.
If you have the same level between engine off and running, then the pump is not sucking oil from the pan.

Okay that's good to know. I will have to check the filter to make sure it is on there good. Thanks, I'll post what I find out.

Fixed! Had to add more fluid. Thanks guys.

Glad that you came to post back the result!

Back