won't pass smog, error code P1450

merc

Reaction score
City, State
orange, ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 mountaineer
i'm still lost, error code P1450

any ideas? my regist. is past due (dmv never sent notice), and i need smog, but it failed due to check engine light and error code P1450. i looked up the code, and learned it was "Inability of Evaporative Emission Control System to Bleed Fuel Tank." great. i have no idea what that means or what i need to do to fix it. anyone have any ideas? Ford dealer wants $95.00 to diagnose, plus however much to fix it (i am out of ajob as of the end of next week, so i'm trying to do this on my own). i have a '97 merc mountaineer w/93k miles, and i'm desperate.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This thread may help.

Dead Link Removed

still confused!

thanks husky, i had checked there earlier, and just now revisited, but i'm still lost. i need specific info (i guess) for p1450. i found another thread that had one very specific description of how the diagnostic is poerformed by the cars computer. this only confused me more. i am hoping someone can tell me what things to try, and in what order, to diagnose what my problem is. i am new to the site, so sorry if i am going about this all wrong.

still trying...

The code means that there is too much vacuum in the gas tank. Cheapest possible fix is replacing the gas cap. Try this first. Be sure to clear the fault code from memory after you change anything so that you are not reading a stored fault code that is no longer a problem.

thanks brain. i'll try that right now. will disconnecting battery for a few minutes clear the code??

merc said:
thanks brain. i'll try that right now. will disconnecting battery for a few minutes clear the code??
Yeah, disconnect the negative for 15-30 minutes.

I'm not sure, but my Fords (92-94) use EEC-IV ststem and code reader, and there is a way to erase the contiuous fault codes by switching the code reader to HOLD while it is starting to read the KOEO codes...I don't know if this has changed (it might be a time saver).

thanks for the tips guys. i've slathered some pet. jelly on the gas cap gasket, and i reset the computer (i think, it certainly cleared the radio), so i'll see if the CEL comes on again. if it does, could it be the o2 sensors? i was told there are 4 of them. brain, i don't have a code reader, but thanks. i'll post again after i do some driving.

problem:
P1450 - Unable to Bleed Up Fuel Tank Vacuum
Monitors the fuel vapor vacuum and pressure in the fuel tank. The system failure occurs when the EVAP running loss monitor detects excessive fuel tank vacuum with the engine running (but not at idle).

things to look for:
Blockages or kinks in EVAP canister tube or EVAP canister purge outlet tube (between fuel tank, EVAP canister purge valve and EVAP canister)
Fuel filler cap stuck closed (no vacuum relief)
Contaminated fuel vapor elbow on EVAP canister
Restricted EVAP canister
CV solenoid stuck open (partially or fully)
Plugged CV solenoid filter
EVAP canister purge valve stuck open
VREF circuit open (harness near FTP sensor, FTP sensor or PCM)
Damaged FTP sensor

Back