• Register Today It's free!

Won't start after rain

flackster

Reaction score
City, State
Fishers, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 4.0 SOHC Sport
97 Sport 4.0 SOHC 86,000 miles. It has been difficult to start after sitting overnight in the rain. Had a hard rain last night and now it won't start at all. The fuel pump comes on when I turn it to the on position, has a new battery, new plugs and wires, turns over fine, but won't start. Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

check the wiring at the coil pack. I have seen a couple early model SOHC come loose here causing a no spark situation.........

wiggle the wires, remove the clip, clean with WD-40 and try again......

FIXED!!!

She's running again!!! Turns out it was the connector on the frame rail next to the gas tank. A little electronic parts cleaner and she's good as new.

What connector? Was it a ground strap or something? I'm having the same problem on a 95 ranger, it's like there is no spark. It's intermittant, but it always happens after a rain.

Connector location

Lonestar,

It is not a ground strap. It is part of the wiring harness with the leads for the fuel pump, fuel level indicator, etc.
It is located on the driver side frame rail next to the front of the fuel tank. I had to remove a skid plate on my explorer to get to it.

Back