• Register Today It's free!

Wont start!!!

eview326

Reaction score
City, State
NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Sport
My explorer wont start. Last night my explorer wouldnt start, it was low on gas and the battery was dying, the last try to start it last night it clicked a bunch, so i just left it. Today i put gas in it and a new battery, it cranks a lot faster now but wont start. When i put the key to the on position i dont here the fuel pump priming. I checked the relays in the dist. box under the hood, there all fine. I looked for the inetria switch but copuldnt find it. I dont see how it could be the inertia switch i was just sitting in the garage. The clicking was coming from what sounded like under the hood or in front of me when i was sitting in the truck. Can some one please help me on what the problem is? I hope its not the fuel pump!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anybody have any ideas?!?!?!?

Try jiggling the relay for the fuel pump while the key is in the ON position and listen for the fuel pump. If that doesn't work, try swapping relays and then try... Also, are you using your usual key and not a copy? Is the theft light flashing at all as you try to start it?

same problem maybee

I have the same problem on my 92 4x4 xlt explorer I think... Here are the things I've tested with no resolution....
1) changed plugs they were realy bad maybee never changed 180000 miles
2) changed fuel filter wasnt plugged but had it off anyways
both were bad so since we couldnt hear the fuel pump prime
3) dropped fuel tank and tested and inspected the fuel pump all looks good and with a seperate battery conected it fires up... put back in and still fires up when put power to it.
4) checked the inertia valve and it wasnt popped unplugged it and put a paperclip in the contacts still no prime on the fuel pump replugged in
5)replaced the fuel pump relay still no go????????
6) replaced the eec relay still no go????? time to put a bullet in this thing...
7)checked fuse in the power block 30 amp fuse 12v on both sides
8) jumpered the 2 and 3 pin in the socket that the fuel relay was in and then whenever the key is in the run position the pump hums along..... not that i sugest this cause i dont know what problems may arise

here is a wire diagram http://www1.autozone.com/servlet/Ui..._us/0900823d/80/0b/a9/c7/0900823d800ba9c7.jsp

maybee this will help on where to go from there if any one knows what to do from here for me please feel free to shoot me an e-mail or reply to the post.... also does the icm efect power to the pump and also is there a simple test for that and the fuel relay just incase napa sold me a dud....

Back