• Register Today It's free!

Won't Start!

RMiller

Reaction score
City, State
Owings, South Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Sport
My first post here. Please don't think I am rude for busting in, I am just at my wits end.

I am fair when it comes to repairs. Waterpumps, brakes, that sort of thing. My economic situation, wife out of work, forces me to figure this one out. (I can't afford to send it to the shop)

Water outlet housing had a slight leak. Saturday morning I replaced it and the thermostat and all appeared to be working. There has been a slight rumble developing in the engine for a month or so now, I can't identify it. Fast Forward to Saturday evening. Lawn mower won't start and I jumped it off with the explorer. I let the explorer run for about 10 minutes after jumping off the lawn mower and shut it off. Fast Forward to Sunday morning. Explorer won't start...

1. Engine turns freely
  2. Get some backfire through the intake while trying to start
  3. Won't freakin start
  4. Used it to jump start a garden tractor the night before
  5. Replaced Water outlet housing the day before
  6. Has been developing a rumble in the engine over the past month

1999 Explorer Sport 2wd V6 OHV or SOHC depending on which parts store I go to....

Where the heck do I begin to tackle this problem?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check for vacuum leaks particularly at the vacuum tree located on the drivers side by the firewall.

Did you check the inertia switch for the fuel pump? Try reseting it.

beg, borrow or .... anyways, do a compression test on a "few cylinders". IF you have an sohc (it should say so on the intake IIRC), then the test will tell you if you have mechanical issue or something else. IF it an SOHC, then odds are :-((((((

I had a similar situation when I replaced the thermostat and hoses a few months ago. Went to start the Ex after I finished and it wouldn't fire???? Never had a problem until then. I checked to make sure nothing had been knocked loose, but everything looked fine. A buddy of mine who was with me said to remove the negative battery cable for a few minutes then try it again...said he had a similar thing with his Durango and that fixed the problem. I was thinking he's full of it, but I gave it a try. Lo and behold it worked and I haven't had a problem since. More than likely this will not fix your problem, but it's worth a try. Good luck!

Back