• Register Today It's free!

Worth the Repair? 1997 Explorer

Warrior

Reaction score
City, State
Sioux City, IA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer XLT
Hello all, I am in need of some advice on my old 1997 Ford Explorer XLT (4L V6). I am changing up vehicles and am wondering if it is worth getting back into my Explorer? It is in need of repairs which are a replacement transfer casing, ball joints, and new leaf spring(s). It has 197,000 miles or so on it and apart from the issues I listed it ran great. I've been out of it for almost a year now, but I am wondering if it is worth sinking the money into it.

I want to possibly add a CAI and new exhaust system (not catalytic converter just a new exhaust) along with some replacement parts, which I totaled to a rough estimate of about $2500. Is this too much money for the vehicle or should I make the investment? Thank you in advance for the help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Depends on who you ask, I'll never let my explorer die. Some people would trash it if it needed a $500 repair.
If you're mechanically inclinded you can do the ball joints, not to hard if you read all the threads. Just make sure you got a few days to do it incase you run into some problems.
Why does it need a new transfer case and leaf springs?

Leaf springs are just rusted to hell..at least that's what a buddy of mine had told me when he was under there. I took this thing out into wet areas a lot so maybe? As for the transfer casing I really have no clue why it's messed up but I do know that when I drive and after a few moments I will lose all power to the back wheels and the nastiest grinding noise will start up. I really love this thing, and would love to get back into it.

I don't know a whole lot about the transfer case, but maybe you can do the "brown wire" mod so your truck will stay in 2wd and not auto (AWD) those leaf springs would have to be really rusted to need replacing.

Speaking strictly in dollar value, probably not.

Having said that, I sank about that amount into my explorer and I haven't regretted it. I think we have the same exact one - the 5 speed manual with OHV engine. There's a lot to love about that one. I'm only just behind you in milage at 191k and plan to drive it into the 300s or so which is what a lot of guys report getting the explorers with the OHV engine to.

If you are in love with the truck like I am with mine, then get the repairs done.

Leaf springs are just rusted to hell..at least that's what a buddy of mine had told me when he was under there. I took this thing out into wet areas a lot so maybe? As for the transfer casing I really have no clue why it's messed up but I do know that when I drive and after a few moments I will lose all power to the back wheels and the nastiest grinding noise will start up. I really love this thing, and would love to get back into it.

My '97 has 290K and the engine runs like a top. I busted the transfer case a couple of years back (aggressive downshifting the manual trans while trying to brake a heavy trailer load), but got a used one installed from a junk yard for around $125. It is important to match the tags as the wrong case won't work with the electronics, but it has been fine since then. Biggest expense in recent years was to replace the tires...everything else has been less than $500 and it is certainly worth it for the utility at those costs.

=Vic=

What is it worth to you? If you could keep your car running for a few thousand dollars, is that more economical than buying a new car for tens of thousands of dollars?

If you can do the work it's worth it. All pretty simple and straightforward. If you're paying a shop, time to send it off to the scrapper.

^^^ Nailed it.

Back