Would you attend a Las Cruces, NM Run Oct 12-13?? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Would you attend a Las Cruces, NM Run Oct 12-13??

Would you be willing to attend a Las Cruces, NM Run for Oct. 12-13th?

• Yes, I am interesting in running trails around Las Cruces.

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • No, I'm not interested.

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Maybe, I'm interested. Please tell me more.

Votes: 9 42.9%
  • What the heck fire is Las Cruces?

Votes: 3 14.3%

• Total voters
Me 3!

Sorry I haven't posted more about it lately. I've totally swamped here at work. But, the good news about being totally swamped this month, is that I shouldn't be next month so that I can make the trip. This month I'm swamped with migrating an application system from the SW to the NE and we should be done with the migration by the end of the month. Then the server down here can be taken apart in Oct.

Anyways, I'm still in contact with the LC4WDC and they are still onboard with being our trail guides for Hard and Moderate groups on Oct. 12th & 13th.

I'll try to get some more details on meeting places and decent hotels posted this weekend.

If you have made hotel reservations already, you might want to post where so that possibly others can get the same place. I personally will be staying at the cheapest place in town, my parents house.

On another note, today I received my Indestructable Rock Sliders made by Gloria. So hopefully I will get them installed this weekend. Plus I ordered the Powertrax Lock-Right for my front diff and it should arrived next week.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Aquaman; if you can, can you get an explanation of what the locals think would be required on the 'moderate' trail runs that they will lead? I want to make sure I can actually play too. I have no idea where I am staying, I may only be able to make it for one of the days, I may see about staying on base out there with a buddy or two... (still waiting to find out who my Co-pilot will be) I don't want to make the trek on my own, if I don't have to. Let me know how the install of the sliders goes. I am still planning on gettting some and welding them others on here so I don't have to drop the tank. Anyways, let me know about the trail difficulty.:)

Originally posted by becker69
Aquaman; if you can, can you get an explanation of what the locals think would be required on the 'moderate' trail runs that they will lead.
Doug,

This is right off their website:
For Our Moderate Trails We Recommend 31” Tires &/or 1 Clutch Type Locker (Or An Experienced Driver)

I'm still in for this run, I just don't know if I will be running with the Big Dawgs or not.
This last Sunday we went to install the Powertrax LockRight in my front differential when we discovered one of the side gears is the wrong size.
Pics of taking out the front IFS differential

I'm working on getting a replacement, but Powertrax is in the middle of moving their facilities. There were supposedly bought by another company

No way Ill beable to make this run. My truck is all busted and needs alot of work till I can wheel it again. MAybe next year.

Matt

John, hey thanks for the e-mail man, I appreciate it :)
Before I commit to this, I need to find out if I am going anywhere in Oct-Nov... I found out yesterday I may be going down south for a month starting 20 Oct or so.... so I will do some work to get that straightened out. Sorry to hear about your powertrax problems; I hope it gets figured out soon. I have to go look at your pictures of the sliders!! I'll let you know what I find out. Thanks again. ;)

If my rig is ready by then count me in. It looks kind of iffy right now:( It all depends if they can finish the suspension this week and finish all the rest of the stuff.

Hey TwoTone hope you get the money to make it to N.M. It be great to see you in action again.:D I'll spot you any day. (If you need it;) )

More Details

Hey All,

Here's some info from Homer(member of LC4WDC):
I'm finally back for a while, I hope. In addition to the hotels Jerry mentioned, there are Motel 6, Super 8, Hampton Inn, La Quinta and a whole bunch of [Whatever] Inns, i.e., all the chains.

Most of our trails are fairly close to town; however, a couple are 20 to 25 miles away. Will any of your group want to trailer their vehicles to the trailheads? I think our best bet will be to meet the first day (Sat) in an open area behind the Cracker Barrel Restaurant. Most of the hotels I/we named are in that vicinity and it will be easier for you to ask for directions from wherever you stay than for me to try to tell you now. We can decide later where to meet the second day. Let's meet at 8 AM on Saturday, because it may take a little time to get things organized.

Here's the exact address for the Cracker Barrel Restaurant:
Cracker Barrel Old Country Str
1490 Hickory Dr, Las Cruces, NM 88005
Phone: (505) 647-0067
lascruces1.gif
lascruces2.gif
lascruces3.gif

Hotels - Just to name a few...

Las Cruces Hotels
The distance listed is from the Cracker Barrel Restaurant.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mesilla Valley Inn
(505) 524-8603
901 Avenida De Mesilla
Las Cruces, NM
Distance 0.0
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
La Quinta Inn
(505) 524-0331
790 Avenida De Mesilla
Las Cruces, NM
Distance 0.0
Hampton Inn
(505) 526-8311
755 Avenida De Mesilla
Las Cruces, NM
Distance 0.1
Baymont Inns
(505) 523-0100
1500 Hickory Dr
Las Cruces, NM
Distance 0.1
Spring Hill Suites By Marriott
(505) 541-8887
1611 Hickory Loop
Las Cruces, NM
Distance 0.2
Sands Motel
(505) 524-7791
1655 S Main St
Las Cruces, NM
Distance 0.6
Best Western Inn
(505) 524-8591
1765 S Main St
Las Cruces, NM
Distance 0.6
Sunshine Inn Inc
(505) 525-2300
225 E Idaho Ave # 30
Las Cruces, NM
Distance 0.7
Kilby Motel
(505) 526-1101
1045 S Main St
Las Cruces, NM
Distance 0.8
Holiday Inn
(505) 527-9947
2200 S Valley Dr
Las Cruces, NM
Distance 0.9
Bruce Motel
(505) 526-1644
800 S Main St
Las Cruces, NM
Distance 0.9
Lundeen's Inn Of The Arts
(505) 526-3326 Reviews
618 S Alameda Blvd
Las Cruces, NM
Distance 1.0
Coachlight Bob Lilly's Rv Park
(505) 526-3301
301 S Motel Blvd
Las Cruces, NM
Distance 1.1
Comfort Inn
(505) 527-2000
2585 S Valley Dr
Las Cruces, NM
Distance 1.1
Days Inn
(505) 526-4441
2600 S Valley Dr
Las Cruces, NM
Motel 6
(505) 525-1010
235 La Posada Ln
Las Cruces, NM
Distance 1.2
Super 8 Motel
(505) 523-8695
245 La Posada Ln
Las Cruces, NM
Distance 1.2
Holiday Inn
(505) 526-4411
201 E University Ave
Las Cruces, NM
Distance 1.3
Plaza Suites
(505) 525-2083
301 E University Ave
Las Cruces, NM
Distance 1.4
A Day's End Lodge
(505) 524-7753
755 N Valley Dr
Las Cruces, NM
Distance 1.4
Happy Trails Ranch B & B
(505) 527-8471
1857 Paisano Rd
Las Cruces, NM
Distance 1.4
Boutique Hotel Resort
(505) 525-9212
1803 Avenida De Mesilla
Mesilla, NM
Distance 1.6
Meson De Mesilla Boutique Rsrt
(505) 525-9212
1803 Avenida De Mesilla
Mesilla, NM
Distance 1.6
Budget Inn
(505) 523-0365
2255 W Picacho Ave
Las Cruces, NM
Distance 1.7
Desert Lodge Motel
(505) 524-1925
1900 W Picacho Ave
Las Cruces, NM
Distance 1.7
Desert Oasis Inn
(505) 523-6858
1765 W Picacho Ave
Las Cruces, NM
Distance 1.7
Economy Inn
(505) 524-8627
2160 W Picacho Ave
Las Cruces, NM
Distance 1.7
Imperial Sky Motel
(505) 524-3591
1865 W Picacho Ave
Las Cruces, NM
Distance 1.7
Royal Host Motel
(505) 524-8536
2146 W Picacho Ave
Las Cruces, NM
Distance 1.7
Town House Motel
(505) 524-7733
2205 W Picacho Ave
Las Cruces, NM
Distance 1.7
Western Inn Motel
(505) 523-5399
2155 W Picacho Ave
Las Cruces, NM
Distance 1.7
Sleep Inn
(505) 522-1700
2121 S Triviz Dr
Las Cruces, NM
Distance 2.7
Comfort Suites
(505) 522-1300
2101 S Triviz Dr
Las Cruces, NM
Distance 2.7
Bhakta, Rashmikant - Century 21 Motel
(505) 524-9626
2454 N Main St # 1
Las Cruces, NM
Distance 2.9
Villa Del Telshor
(505) 522-0804
1955 S Telshor Blvd Ofc
Las Cruces, NM
Distance 3.0

I would rather trailer to the trail head than drive so if there are seperate instructions for that, I'm interested.

Thanks for putting together the maps and hotel list. I'm going to contact a KOA to get a spot for our camper.

Hope I can make it with Rick. I just have to beat up one of the other teachers so he will come back by the 10th. He is taking a week and a half off to go deer hunting. He's not supposed to be back until the 14th. I told him to catch that dang deer quickly and get his a$$ back to school so I can go wheeling. Our boss won't let 2 junior high teachers take off at the same time. It's absolute HELL to try and find subs! Everybody think "Shoot that deer!" "Shoot that deer!" "Shoot that deer!"

Hope to see you all on the trail!

Originally posted by Rick
I would rather trailer to the trail head than drive so if there are seperate instructions for that, I'm interested.

Thanks for putting together the maps and hotel list. I'm going to contact a KOA to get a spot for our camper.
I did a quick search for KOA and it showed the two nearest Las Cruces in Alamagordo and El Paso. Too far I think.

Then I did a search on Campground using the Cracker Barrel as the search point and came up with these RV Parks...
Siesta Rv Park
(505) 523-6816
1551 Avenida De Mesilla
Las Cruces, NM Distance 0.6
Hacienda Rv
(505) 528-5800
740 Stern Dr
Las Cruces, NM Distance 0.8
Dalmonts Rv Trailer Corral
(505) 523-2992
2224 S Valley Dr
Las Cruces, NM Distance 0.9

Any further info about this?

"Most of our trails are fairly close to town; however, a couple are 20 to 25 miles away. Will any of your group want to trailer their vehicles to the trailheads?"

Originally posted by Rick
Any further info about this?

"Most of our trails are fairly close to town; however, a couple are 20 to 25 miles away. Will any of your group want to trailer their vehicles to the trailheads?"
Here's Homer's reponse:
The "20 top 25 mile away" trails are 1) Broad Canyon, which can be moderate to hard, depending on how you do it, and 2) San Diego Mountain, which is moderate. The toughest trails, which we call extreme, are right outside of town - 6 or 8 miles of pavement before airdown. There are places to leave tow trucks and trailers.
I don't have time to compare what he replied with what the hard trails are... I'm painting my rock sliders today. :confused: I'm just inside for a quick break.
Anyway, did you have any specific trails in mind that you wanted to do Rick?

Nope, I'm just tagging along. I haven't had time to look through the trails. I have an event to go to in Phoenix the following week so I would like to keep everything in one piece;)

Las Cruces Run, Oct 12-13

HI folks, I am a lurking newbie here so be gentle.

We live in Odessa Tx which is about 6 hrs east of L.C.
Our '94 Sport is 2wd so we won't be doing any climbing with the big boys. We would like to tag along on this trip, learn a little more, meet a few folks and drink a few cold ones.

Do we need to register with anyone or just show up ?

Any tips would be appreciated.

John and Sue in West Texas
'94 Sport , stock as the day it left the factory

This is a loose run so there is no registration per say. If you want to ride along you would have to set something up with some of the group.

If you just want to meet for dinner and some brews that would be great. We jsut need to figure out where we will be eating ;)

Or you could meet us at the staging area in the morning to check out the rigs.

John and others I am a 93.77% a go on this still. I think I have a co-pilot, although I may only be able to make it for Saturday.... is that cool? Looking forward to going back to the NM with a truck this time ;) Plus I can try out the RX/TX of my CB finally. Looking forward to it.

:)

Unfortunately I won't be able to make this run. I can only take off one weekend this month and since the slabs run is in the same month, it looks like I'll be taking that weekend off. You guys have fun and make sure to take lots of pictures.

I don't think that I can make it either. Too much to do and not enough time. Among other things, my truck started overheating and puking out coolant. I suspect the heater core but I don't know for sure.

Edit - Oil is milky. It may be a head gasket or intake gasket.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Things aren't looking good for me either:( My parents are coming into town for that weekend. Friday - Sunday. I only need to see them once, so if I can visit with them on Friday and then head out of town I might still be able to make it.

We'll see how it goes.

Back