Would you buy an 02 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Would you buy an 02

NO, because I wouldn't want you to deal with the trans problems, door ajar warnings, interior lights turning on and off at all times, wierd noises coming from the front end, wheel bearings prematurely wearing out and when you think everything is going to be okay, another crisis!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

NO, because I wouldn't want you to deal with the trans problems, door ajar warnings, interior lights turning on and off at all times, wierd noises coming from the front end, wheel bearings prematurely wearing out and when you think everything is going to be okay, another crisis!

had bad luck with yours, huh?

wow, mine must have been labled 02 by mistake ;) Again, only real anoyance beside regular maintanace is the rough idle, wich isn't a big deal, except when you other car is a lincoln and feels like it's not even on when it idles.

Whatever, i still think these are bullet proof

I wouldn't buy an '02 for any reason. As far as rollouts of major re-designs go, Ford dropped the ball on the '02. Just because it's OK now, doesn't mean it will stay OK. Where there's smoke, there's fire.

Btw, i owned a 95 4.0 and had 320k before i got rid of it, that was one tough biatch. My 02 has 170k and i hope it has the same going power.

Yes I would.....but like #2 reply said... and now you know what to look for. In other words treat it like you would any other used truck. I have 106k on mine
and it is like any other mechanical thing. PM is important too. I am old school and I think there is too much computer control. But that is another thread :)
Just remember it's 8 years old !

Daniel

I have about 120k miles on my '02 XLT 4x4. Transmission is fine since its programming was fixed to correct the shifting between 3rd & 4th gears (this is covered by a Ford service bulletin). Had front bearing replaced, and just had front rotors fixed up, otherwise it's been reliable. Great in snow! Getting about 360 miles per tank, not bad. It's been a good vehicle.

Like Tony I had 95 xlt limited 4.0 with 230k+(miles that is) on the odometer, got me where I wanted to go but she had to be put down. Picked up an 02 with 90k about 4 months ago have had no problems apart from the WD-40 fix after a rather rainy and cold summer here in New England. MH how are you getting 360 per tank? The best I can manage is right around the 300 mark.

Much of my driving is on the freeway, 65-ish MPH, which helps the mileage. When the tank is used for around-town driving I get 2MPG less. Initially I got around 330 miles per tank, then did a bit of an upgrade. Changed to a K&N airfilter, plus added a cat-back exhaust system. The two together improved my mileage noticeably. It has a nice rumble now too.

I had to rebuild the trans in my 02 explorer xls in Aug. of 08. In Dec. of 08, I replaced the motor with a used motor that had 76,000 miles on it. i replaced the motor because it was cheaper than repairing it. Now its Dec.09 and almost to date the timing tensioner is messed up on my motor again. I will do the same thing again for the last time and then sell it. The motor in this car is a P.O.S. i'll never buy another ford. They know the motor is trash and your stuck with it!

I have an 02 and a very early 01 mfg date at that! Didn't want to buy one with a SOHC and deal with potential chain issues, but it was pretty cheap three years ago ($6300) and it had 100K. I figure it has paid for itself by now. I had to do rear wheel bearings and should have done a half axle, but I keep washing it out and fixing the boot. Never buy one of those universal replacement boots! Duct tape works better than those adapters they provide. Overall I have been pleased. Adding a transmission cooler is a must. AND CHECK THE REAR SPRINGS! Even I don't consider these fun to replace. Both sides cracked 5 places total. This is a really common problem that is not obvious till a spring goes through your tire. You have to look really close. Believe me the cracked off sections are not obvious.

Sure, just get plenty of this as well......

vaseline-petroleum-jelly.jpg

Back