Would you buy an 02 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Would you buy an 02

resiak

Reaction score
I'm just curious if you guys would buy an 02 explorer? There is a 02 Eddie Bauer Explorer with 100k miles that I really like but have herd some bad stuff about them. The main issues I'm concerned with is that I heard a lot of people have problems with the read end and transmission.

Thanks for your time.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would if its in good condition and doesnt exhibit the common issues such as: bad 4wd control module, rear end whine, slipping/soft transmission, cracked rear springs, etc.

I love mine, however, if it has the same anoying idle vibration, i would pass.

BTW, if this is your first X, they are rock solid regardless, remember it's a truck, not a luxery SUV

Bring it on a good test drive and have it checked over by a well trusted mechanic. I bought one and I would buy another, I would just have it checked over very close this time.

I would if it checked out.

no dont waist your money they are cheap for a reason

check and see if the transmission has been changed. Other than that your going to encounter all the same problems that come with buying any vehicle. In comparison mine is Pushing 250 000 KM and still going strong. another main issue is the rear end will whine/shudder. Check that out, if it`s all good, buy it.

Yea what he said. I have an 04 and it has just too many issues. pos

I did and I would again. Have it checked over real good and of course it will come with the normal issues for a ride that age and that many miles.

I wouldn't buy an '02 for any reason. As far as rollouts of major re-designs go, Ford dropped the ball on the '02. Just because it's OK now, doesn't mean it will stay OK. Where there's smoke, there's fire.

I get a kick out of the "2002's are the devil" crowd, since most that say so don't own one (not referring to anyone in this thread, BTW).

My answer to the OP's question is: Yes. Or, more correctly, yes, I did. Bought in new in May 2002, now at 7 years, 4 months old with 102K miles on it and very few problems.

Actually, it is the first and only car I have ever kept more than about 6 years, and first I have kept over about 80K miles. Only because I have no reason to get rid of it.

I have replaced tires (50K miles), battery (6 year point), all brake pads and turned the rotors (6 year point) both front wheel bearings (only one of the two was actually was bad), the rear AC blend door actuator (about 50 bucks, I think), and the AWD module behind the glove box (about 100 bucks, I think), one rear tail light bulb, windshield wipers a few times, and frequent fluid changes, and that's about it. It did have the fading pillars (repainted them) and the corroding aluminum hood (living with it - will probably hide it with a bug guard until it gets bad enough to warrant a more permanent repair), oh, and the door lock switches gummed up giving me the door ajar warning but a 10 cent shot of WD-40 fixed that.

No, it's not perfect, and some (many?) have had some really painful problems; however, I would not hesitate to 'buy' mine in an instant (actually, I do every day I keep it instead of dumping it).

Just have it checked out thoroughly. Don't buy a lemon. Drive the price down, using all the negative data for sure.

I have 2, issues so far? had to rebuild the tranny on one, both are over 100K miles and aside from regular maintenance no issues

I agree with EasyRhino. Our 02 is at 155,000 miles now with no issues. Still on the original trans too. We replaced many of the same parts has EasyRhino, but I don't consider them major parts by any means. The engine still runs great and the trans is shifting perfect. I think the biggest thing to look for is history with service. We have had the trans flushed ever 50,000 miles and it has been great.

I have an 02 that I bought new and it has 288,000 miles on it.
It has had the usual problems (transmission at 155,000, rear wheel bearings twice, front upper ball joints, broken rear springs, rear axle seals, and right now waiting for the solenoid pack to show up) but the motor has been fantastic.
For that many miles, I can't really complain.

I agree with EasyRhino. Our 02 is at 155,000 miles now with no issues. Still on the original trans too. We replaced many of the same parts has EasyRhino, but I don't consider them major parts by any means. The engine still runs great and the trans is shifting perfect. I think the biggest thing to look for is history with service. We have had the trans flushed ever 50,000 miles and it has been great.

Man, that's good to hear, you hear so many negatives about 2002s I sometimes doubt mine will run another day, contrary to my actual experience to date. Definitely helps to keep up on the maintenance, particularly the fluids.

That said, I think Gudde has us all beat! 288K miles, man that's some driving. At that many miles I suppose I could eat a tranny and be okay with it.:thumbsup:

my 02

I have an 02
To date:bought 50k at 98,000 now

transmission Torque converter making sounds since 50k
one motor mount ....
maybe to many 0-80 lanches
shift interlock problems. intake manifold cracked cause coolant leak coolant cross over. But found the smell before did damage and lost but a cup of coolant.

Happy 2002 owner

FWIW, I bought my '02 4.6L Limited new in Fall of '02. It has low miles, only about 55k, and has never had any problems. I considered selling it a while back as it is now my 5th vehicle, but it is worth a lot more to me than I could ever get selling it. Runs great.

Hey, I've been away from the Explorer Forum for awhile and now I'm back to research repairs to my current Explorer ('93 Sport) or replace it with a newer sport (2000+ with a 5 spd)

This is the first I've heard of the '02 being problematic but it doesn't surprise me as my mother-in-laws tranny feels like its out of a old-tired Crown Vic. Slips a bit and has a hard clunk when shifting... sometimes... Pillars are also peeling the clear coat, I guess that is common too?

Where the '03s improved? When were these issues fixed? It's hard to find newer explorers with the 5 speed manual and I might have to settle with an automatic.

My theory is after '96 or so, quality of manufacture on all cars went massively down hill. if you want something which is well made buy an older one. the older OHV ones are rock solid in my opinion (i own two, very reliable)

would i buy a newer car? if it was a body style i liked, then yes i would.... then again I'd be fixing it myself (not paying a mechanic) so reliability is less of an issue for me than it is to somebody who has to pay a mechanic a small fortune every time there is a minor problem.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

:thumbsup: so reliability is less of an issue for me than it is to somebody who has to pay a mechanic a small fortune every time there is a minor problem.[/QUOTE]

yes this is a must work on them yourself or get taken for alot of money.

Back