WOW 6 months old and seats coming apart!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

WOW 6 months old and seats coming apart!!!

ARS1

Reaction score
City, State
Tampa, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
'14 XLT Platinum White
We bought this thing in January and this morning I noticed on the passenger seat there are 2 spots that looked odd. I ran my finger over one an lone behold the cheap covering they call a leather seat starts coming off and it's sticky underneath which tells me since it's started getting hot here in florida possibly defects in the seats are coming out. I really hope ford will rectify this!

Not to mention just from normal use the drivers seat looks like it's 10 years old

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We bought this thing in January and this morning I noticed on the passenger seat there are 2 spots that looked odd. I ran my finger over one an lone behold the cheap covering they call a leather seat starts coming off and it's sticky underneath which tells me since it's started getting hot here in florida possibly defects in the seats are coming out. I really hope ford will rectify this!

Not to mention just from normal use the drivers seat looks like it's 10 years old
I don't recall a similar issue like this being posted. Are you sure that something didn't come in contact with the seat to cause those two spots? It sounds strange that it would be 'sticky'. Sounds like a trip to the dealer is in order to have this checked out.

Peter

Any car maker can get bad batches of leather. I have read this on different car forums with leather going in short order. Let's hope it was just a bad batch you can get fixed under warranty and that Ford is not looking to cut costs. Will only hurt them in the long run if so. The leather on my 3 year old 32k miles Ex is still in very good shape and can tell it still will be in 5 or 6 years with a good leather conditioner every six months.

We bought this thing in January and this morning I noticed on the passenger seat there are 2 spots that looked odd. I ran my finger over one an lone behold the cheap covering they call a leather seat starts coming off and it's sticky underneath which tells me since it's started getting hot here in florida possibly defects in the seats are coming out...

Hi ARS1,

As Peter mentioned, it's a good idea to take this in to your dealer so they can check out the leather. I'll get your regional customer service manager involved as well; to make that happen, PM me your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal

Hi ARS1,

As Peter mentioned, it's a good idea to take this in to your dealer so they can check out the leather. I'll get your regional customer service manager involved as well; to make that happen, PM me your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal

PM sent

I don't recall a similar issue like this being posted. Are you sure that something didn't come in contact with the seat to cause those two spots? It sounds strange that it would be 'sticky'. Sounds like a trip to the dealer is in order to have this checked out.

Peter

I am sure nothing came in contact with the seat that shouldn't have. And it is sticky underneath the leather film they've glued over a plastic seat to cut costs. It wasn't sticky until the material came off. That is very unacceptable to sell a leather package when all it is is a very very thin layer over plastic. I would have much rather had regular cloth seats if I knew that were the case. I now feel like I have wasted money and have a 6 month old vehicle with a hole in the seat. My mom has a 2011 F150 and her drivers seat looks newer than ours. Whats wrong with that picture? I sure hope it doesn't get denied because I will make contact with them every day via phone after that. I didnt pay $42,800.00 CASH after upside down on old car for a brand new vehicle to have to deal with a hole in the seat that I didn't cause 6 months later...

I didnt pay $42,800.00 CASH after upside down on old car for a brand new vehicle to have to deal with a hole in the seat that I didn't cause 6 months later...

Just curious -- how does one go from being upside down on an old car then paying $42,800 CASH on a new one. Did you win the lotto or something? Hope you get the seat leather fixed. I'm a fan of Katzkin myself - way better than OEM and very customizable. Its DIY'able or can be reasonable at a shop.

I am sure nothing came in contact with the seat that shouldn't have. And it is sticky underneath the leather film they've glued over a plastic seat to cut costs. It wasn't sticky until the material came off. That is very unacceptable to sell a leather package when all it is is a very very thin layer over plastic. I would have much rather had regular cloth seats if I knew that were the case. I now feel like I have wasted money and have a 6 month old vehicle with a hole in the seat. My mom has a 2011 F150 and her drivers seat looks newer than ours. Whats wrong with that picture? I sure hope it doesn't get denied because I will make contact with them every day via phone after that. I didnt pay $42,800.00 CASH after upside down on old car for a brand new vehicle to have to deal with a hole in the seat that I didn't cause 6 months later...

Take a deep breath, relax, and don't get too excited about something you haven't even spoken to the dealer about yet...They will cover it as long as your weren't at fault and it is a true defect. Threatening to phone every day until they give in to your demands is a rather foolish comment as well. We get it, you are annoyed...it's really tiring to listen to people complain/whine about how much they paid every time they have a small issue with their ride....we all paid good money for our Ex's. Your mom's F150 is also a Ford so I don't see what your point is with that...I've had my EX almost three years now and my leather seats have no issues at all...AS TMG19103 stated, sometimes there are bad leather batches...Again...calm down, relax, call your dealer, and make an appointment for them to assess it.

Just curious -- how does one go from being upside down on an old car then paying $42,800 CASH on a new one. Did you win the lotto or something? Hope you get the seat leather fixed. I'm a fan of Katzkin myself - way better than OEM and very customizable. Its DIY'able or can be reasonable at a shop.

If won the lotto it wouldn't have been an Explorer lol. The old car we only had a year and we out grew it. We financed it and between the 2 vehicles were paying $800 a month. Well now looking to buy a house we needed to free up that income so we traded it in after a year took a huge hit and got something that fit our family better. Paid cash to free up the income and paid my truck off as well. Always had the money but in trust and mom doesn't let us blow it for nothing. Buying a house was a good reason to use a little. If I had free access to it I'd have been broke long ago so turning 30 soon I am very thankful for how it has been handled and have up most respect how my mom brought up me and my sister. We've learned the value of a dollar and always worked for what we have. I started cutting lawns at 13 and saved up for my first car. My kids are set for life as well and I plan on bringing them up with the same rules and responsibilities. I refuse to have 3 stuck up boys growing up in my house having everything handed to them.

If won the lotto it wouldn't have been an Explorer lol. The old car we only had a year and we out grew it. We financed it and between the 2 vehicles were paying $800 a month. Well now looking to buy a house we needed to free up that income so we traded it in after a year took a huge hit and got something that fit our family better. Paid cash to free up the income and paid my truck off as well. Always had the money but in trust and mom doesn't let us blow it for nothing. Buying a house was a good reason to use a little. If I had free access to it I'd have been broke long ago so turning 30 soon I am very thankful for how it has been handled and have up most respect how my mom brought up me and my sister. We've learned the value of a dollar and always worked for what we have. I started cutting lawns at 13 and saved up for my first car. My kids are set for life as well and I plan on bringing them up with the same rules and responsibilities. I refuse to have 3 stuck up boys growing up in my house having everything handed to them.
Too long and lame. Didn't read.

Take the thing to the dealer and, presuming it is a defect, they will fix it since it's under warranty.

Me and the other 99.999% of Ford owners have absolutely no problems with our seats....however; it's not a perfect world so whats the big deal? Take it to the dealer and get it fixed. It's under warranty.

Back