Wrangler Silent Armor or BFG AT - TA?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wrangler Silent Armor or BFG AT - TA??

Hello All,

I am looking to get new tires for my 2001 4 door sport xlt with 16" rims. I currently have the wrangler rt/s tires on my truck. The tread is still good on the tires as I only have 25K miles on them. I wanted to change them due to the crappy performance I got from them this winter when I had to drive in the snow/slush. I got tired real quickly of the sliding after coming to a stop .

I do mostly highway driving with some gravel and dirt roads in fall in upstate NY. I am looking at the BFG All-Terrain ATs and the new Wrangler Silent Armor. Has anyone had any experince with the new Wranger SA?

Your advice will be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the site, bfg at's, had them in snow, rain, mud, everything you could imagine and never once let me down, no road noise, and suprisingly excellent tire wear ;)

Love the BFG's also. Have them on my Jeep CJ and My full size chevy Pickup. Good wear, good on snow and rain. The only reason I didn't just put them on my 'X' is because I don't like the Square look of that tire on the 'X'.
I looked at the ratings of the Firestone Destination LE's and that's what I'm trying.

So far in rain they are far superior to the Wrangler RT'S's that I had on there.
I don't know how they will do in the snow yet or if the handling fades fast as they wear.

BFG's here. Goodyear tires really suck. I will never buy them. If a car has them they are the first things to go. I've had way too many various problems with badyear tires over the years on all different cars.

1st off: welcome to the site..

2nd: A LOT of people on here run the BFGs.. those are the tires im gonna go with as well..

Plywood said:
I am looking to get new tires for my 2001 4 door sport xlt

sports are 2 door, no? im not understanding.

Thanks for the help.

They made a four door sport version with a tube step bar and wheel well / fender trim like the sport. I got this version for the 16" rims and 4.1 gear ratio . I wound up ordering mine as I did not want a moon roof but I see a bunch of them at the dealers at the time. However, I tend to see a lot mre regular xlt's than the sport version 4 door.

I'll make the tire decision after I see the SA's in the store. Thanks for the info on the tires.

You are simply paying for a catch phrase if you buy those Goodyears.

Back