wrap-around steel rollpan, with what tail lights? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

wrap-around steel rollpan, with what tail lights?

i think the Caddy tails could be nice, but im almost sure their too long. they will run down into the lower body line "indention" (i think, dont trust me, this is a guess from memory)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You said you want to do something nobody else has done.

Those Escalade tails are nice but they are HUGE and over-used in the street scene.

I say do what NOBODY in the street scene has done (from what I have seen, I am sure there is somebody) and build your own from scratch using all aftermarket LED lights....

You willsee that lots of off road guys do this, especially Jeeps. They get those 3" round LED's (like buses use) and plumb those into their Cj's. I am talking 1 or 2 steps further......

I plan to:
a. make a new housing for the taillights on my BII that will bolt to the body just like stock.
b. use some micro crystal fog lights for reverse
c. use some small yellow LED (oval shaped likely) for turn signals
d. use some oval shaped red leds (x2) for parking and brake

I have been working on the design in CAD, I'll post it when its a little more finished.....

The end design will be VERY trick. The reverse lights will be bright, the turn signal will be angled so it can be seen from side or rear, and the parking and brake will face flat with the back of the truck...
hard to explain w/o pics.....

N E ways I really want to do something with the BII tail lights because my side markers are now LED, the front yellow lenses (parking) are almost gone (waiting on clears, which I will convert to LED) and my headlights are already Hella H4, so the tailights just look dated......

I will be using lots of fiberglass and metal.....

james your memory is as good as mine- and i've been thinking that the exact same thing will probably be a problem. that the height of the tails is too great and it would mess up the lines and screw other stuff up.

btw- the caddy tails i'm talking about are the tall skinny deville (or whatever) style ones.

i'm still looking for that one idea that i haven't thought of that would blow everyones minds

MAKE YOUR OWN CLEARS USING THE SAME ABOVE ideas but with a clear cover....like a Supra

Those Deville taillights look rediculous on anything built after 1980 IMO, you mine as well angle your license plate inside your roll pan and get yourself an Oakley sticker for the back window too! hahaha just kidding....

If the aftermarket doesnt have it you gotta fab it.
Using corvetee and cadi tailights frenched into your body is played out!

Stock taillights are in the right spot, the right size, and keep the truck clean looking, its just they are red ugly and plastic.

i thought you would be all over those tail lights you see often in advertisements for rollpans that are just tiny flames.....i've seen them in truckin' before where they have options and you can buy the steel rollpan with supra lights or whatever already built into it. I know you are into flames and especially if you did that paint job, it would look super rad. If you don't know what im talking about, i'll get apic for you...

are they small and unobstrusive enough i could use them and keep the stock ones too?

i'm pretty sure that filling the stockers and not replacing them with something wouldn't look right on an suv.

I think Caddy tails would be pretty tight. Not sure about the measurements but I think you could get it to work if you did enough CUTTING! :D

just a suggestion shave taillights and put toyota supra lights in the rollpan...u can get lights and buckets for thsi project from fender bender international...i was thinking of doing it but wanting to do billet inserts into rollpan over lights to give it cleaner look...but as i said jus a suggestion..

Lmfao!

I was handsome, in shape, and had a sport truck when this thread was made. :p:

Back