wrecked my '92 off-road rig's body, need some technical help | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

wrecked my '92 off-road rig's body, need some technical help

Yup, I know it can be done on mine, and tons of swaps are out there, you're right....just had the idea of using a newer gen with factory v8 so there's no conversion......but don't have the desire to be doing TC swaps which is likely a ecu and wiring nightmare.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Shoot me another text. V8 swaps are easy and an atlas isnt all that expensive.

Will do....Micah. Right now, just need to do this in phases, since the wife already had enough trouble accepting I ruined mine, haha ...

Also guys....news alert....Ok, found a VERY clean, impeccable shape and dealer maintained, lower mileage '92 within 7 hrs of me. Put deposit on it, will go this wkend to pickup. (Assuming no weather gets in the way over any pases, 2wd diesel only) Pics to come later....:chug:

Well, I know this is the least important thing right now, as people are dealing with so much in their lives because of all the COVID19 fallout. I likely wouldn't have bought this thing had a few more days had past by. However, I put a deposit on it before the floor fell out from beneath the US. Oh well, no biggie.

Here's a few pics of it, maybe something to distract those that are stuck in their homes like me.

Details again:

'92 XLT, 4x4, Auto, 144k, all stock, 1 owner (second owner had since Dec and bought from his friend)

Here's what he was honest about:
-Mentioned a small oil leak likely around rear main
-Well taken care of cosmetically and most maintenance
-Drives straight and tight and seems everything works, brakes included
-Glass seems good too
-Engine and trans oil looked good and trans seems to work well
-Could not get inspection bolts off diffs to check condition
-No accidents
-4x4 works, high and low, with no issues
-Seems to run clean, absolutely no smoke at startup or idle....very crisp throttle response

What he was not honest about:
-There's a small leak around the shift linkage on side of trans and possibly a second leak around engine oil pan
-(Only drove a half mile around his house before dark, didn't get it fully warmed up, my bad)....There's a coolant leak (noticed the gasket around the radiator cap was compromised, ordered a new radiator cap), and overflow tank was clogged, so nothing going to or from that tank. Was losing a quart or two of coolant every 10-30 mins of driving after it was warmed up....and was leaking out, but not 100% positive it's not ingesting it somehow into the engine too on top of the leak. Need to wait till I get that new cap then test again. Really hope it's not any cracked heads. I asked him about this, said no issue.
-Tires look good, but are cracked when you look up close, they're likely well past their shelf life
-Paint looks good (it's aftermarket, as it was the same color as mine initially), but there is cracking of the paint on the roof in a few places...some cracks a lot more than others. Should have paid more attn to this in person...but was trying to get it loaded before dark, since had to leave at 230am next day to avoid weather pulling back in 2wd diesel, ugh.
-Door locks switch to lock doesn't work on driver side (asked him before I loaded it up about this and he said it worked fine, lol) people kill it. (Ill take from my existing explorer)
-Two small leaks in the side rear windows, which leaks water some into the cab
-Rear brake light didn't work (ended up being bulb holder, stole from my explorer)
-Shocks are definitely worn (maintenance avoided it seems)
-Tune up wasn't that recent, maybe within the last 50-60k
-He mentioned factory dealer maintenance only. Found evidence that was not true based on a few stickers under hood

Some things that are good that I've noticed:

-New AC system
-Radio works exceptionally for stock and has good sound (this isn't even the upgraded factory sound with sub like my existing Expo)
-Trans feels really good for an A4LD (haha)
-Engine seems to puur pretty good, no rattles or little knocks or typical 4.0 non-sense... a little less noisy than my existing 135k expo
-Has secondary tranny cooler in front of radiator
-Noticed a lot of newer parts throughout
-Drives exceptional, feels tight, brakes tight and straight along with steers straight, but at 65mph or so has some very minor vibes (must be crappier tires)
-3.73 LS it seems, so better than 3.55's stock (have 4.56's still sitting in storage that will go on after everything is fixed)

Anyhow, hopefully I don't end up liking this one too much and keeping it somewhat the way it is....since I may need to rip this body off this one and put on the old one.... :p

I highly doubt the wife will let me keep this one and keep my existing (grab yet another body).

Either way, I have to sit on things for a while, since who knows where this economy will be in the coming months......

In the meantime, I will appreciate the working and not working explorer of mine, haha.

But I will be trying to go after that coolant leak, hopefully and I mean hopefully it's just the cap, but we all know too well, there might be more to that story........and maybe why the guy wanted to get rid of it. Most people are not fully honest people unfortunately.

Take care everyone....

00W0W_fRVyCxvpHP7_1200x900.jpg

00101_dpyyZq2Yhk0_1200x900.jpg

01515_7rxVyaA8tBB_1200x900.jpg

00k0k_dm6nhqKML6n_1200x900.jpg

00m0m_htlcVDfOzZf_1200x900.jpg

00s0s_du3z3DDN126_1200x900.jpg

IMG_20200315_140152.jpg

Well, I know this is the least important thing right now, as people are dealing with so much in their lives because of all the COVID19 fallout. I likely wouldn't have bought this thing had a few more days had past by. However, I put a deposit on it before the floor fell out from beneath the US. Oh well, no biggie.

Here's a few pics of it, maybe something to distract those that are stuck in their homes like me.

Details again:

'92 XLT, 4x4, Auto, 144k, all stock, 1 owner (second owner had since Dec and bought from his friend)

Here's what he was honest about:
-Mentioned a small oil leak likely around rear main
-Well taken care of cosmetically and most maintenance
-Drives straight and tight and seems everything works, brakes included
-Glass seems good too
-Engine and trans oil looked good and trans seems to work well
-Could not get inspection bolts off diffs to check condition
-No accidents
-4x4 works, high and low, with no issues
-Seems to run clean, absolutely no smoke at startup or idle....very crisp throttle response

What he was not honest about:
-There's a small leak around the shift linkage on side of trans and possibly a second leak around engine oil pan
-(Only drove a half mile around his house before dark, didn't get it fully warmed up, my bad)....There's a coolant leak (noticed the gasket around the radiator cap was compromised, ordered a new radiator cap), and overflow tank was clogged, so nothing going to or from that tank. Was losing a quart or two of coolant every 10-30 mins of driving after it was warmed up....and was leaking out, but not 100% positive it's not ingesting it somehow into the engine too on top of the leak. Need to wait till I get that new cap then test again. Really hope it's not any cracked heads. I asked him about this, said no issue.
-Tires look good, but are cracked when you look up close, they're likely well past their shelf life
-Paint looks good (it's aftermarket, as it was the same color as mine initially), but there is cracking of the paint on the roof in a few places...some cracks a lot more than others. Should have paid more attn to this in person...but was trying to get it loaded before dark, since had to leave at 230am next day to avoid weather pulling back in 2wd diesel, ugh.
-Door locks switch to lock doesn't work on driver side (asked him before I loaded it up about this and he said it worked fine, lol) people kill it. (Ill take from my existing explorer)
-Two small leaks in the side rear windows, which leaks water some into the cab
-Rear brake light didn't work (ended up being bulb holder, stole from my explorer)
-Shocks are definitely worn (maintenance avoided it seems)
-Tune up wasn't that recent, maybe within the last 50-60k
-He mentioned factory dealer maintenance only. Found evidence that was not true based on a few stickers under hood

Some things that are good that I've noticed:

-New AC system
-Radio works exceptionally for stock and has good sound (this isn't even the upgraded factory sound with sub like my existing Expo)
-Trans feels really good for an A4LD (haha)
-Engine seems to puur pretty good, no rattles or little knocks or typical 4.0 non-sense... a little less noisy than my existing 135k expo
-Has secondary tranny cooler in front of radiator
-Noticed a lot of newer parts throughout
-Drives exceptional, feels tight, brakes tight and straight along with steers straight, but at 65mph or so has some very minor vibes (must be crappier tires)
-3.73 LS it seems, so better than 3.55's stock (have 4.56's still sitting in storage that will go on after everything is fixed)

Anyhow, hopefully I don't end up liking this one too much and keeping it somewhat the way it is....since I may need to rip this body off this one and put on the old one.... :p

I highly doubt the wife will let me keep this one and keep my existing (grab yet another body).

Either way, I have to sit on things for a while, since who knows where this economy will be in the coming months......

In the meantime, I will appreciate the working and not working explorer of mine, haha.

But I will be trying to go after that coolant leak, hopefully and I mean hopefully it's just the cap, but we all know too well, there might be more to that story........and maybe why the guy wanted to get rid of it. Most people are not fully honest people unfortunately.

Take care everyone....

View attachment 179572
View attachment 179573
View attachment 179574
View attachment 179575
View attachment 179576
View attachment 179577
View attachment 179578
Looks very clean, will be a fun project for sure. I fell for the same seller bs. Many small issues he didn't mention and I didn't have enough time to mess around and look into the vehicle deeper. Turned out to be small fixes and some maintenance now it's giving me no issues. Have fun with it and keep us posted!

Looks very clean, will be a fun project for sure. I fell for the same seller bs. Many small issues he didn't mention and I didn't have enough time to mess around and look into the vehicle deeper. Turned out to be small fixes and some maintenance now it's giving me no issues. Have fun with it and keep us posted!

For sure Brem95. Glad yours worked out after clearing out a few kinks, as it always feels better once something is properly sorted and up to speed. Just hope this one doesn't have any cracked heads or head gasket issues, etc...to cause extra pressure on coolant system.

New radiator cap went on yesterday and reservoir tank cleared out and got rid of the gunk in there, so that leak is fixed, but now it's still seems to be leaking where the coolant reservoir line hooks up to the radiator...it's spitting out of there pretty good once it gets to temp. So, will look around the garage and try and find a small hose clamp to cinch down on it tighter than what the zip tie does currently, as the hose is discontinued, so would need to just source something generic at a local auto store to replace hose if it's just not pliable enough anymore... (just trying to stay away from public areas at the moment like everyone else).

If still spewing, will replace the hose and cinch down again. If still spewing out, will need to diag the coolant system to find culprit. The joys of used... :hammer:

I have a body in Winnemucca, if you need anything. It's a '94, it donated the engine, and harness to my Bronco2.

I have a body in Winnemucca, if you need anything. It's a '94, it donated the engine, and harness to my Bronco2.

Sorry for delay, just saw your post. Thx Ghosttrain, very kind of you. Never know, might take you up on that since you're so close, if I don't end up using this one I grabbed......super torn and racking my brain on what I want to do. Still need to sort out the coolant leak on this replacement one. I'm still ticked at myself for wreaking mine, just sooooo much to get it back to what it was.

My head is spinning o_O

Major bummer, but it really looks like skinning the roof is do-able.
Do you have a build thread on your truck?

Long post, sorry all.

Yeah, at this point, anything is do-able, but saving this body from the windshield back is likely not gonna happen, just too much damage I think, even if someone was super talented and tried to fix it, I'd be chasing little fitment and quality issues after.

For now, that one is parked in the garage and start it up every few weeks to keep the juices flowing, haha.

The one I just grabbed out in Boise, ID (to use the body from, well my first plan anyhow), well there's an update now.

Seems like the heads aren't cracked (THANK GOODNESS), one of the coolant hoses was just old and fatigued, so it couldn't hold a grip and would lose coolant out of there.

However, from what it seems, when under a little load like a small incline on the road, etc.....temps like to climb some. Seems fine going down freeway or even at a stop light for the most part, and this was in the 60's F, so not that great really, and that's with factory size tires. So, cooling system is going to need attention it seems, so will go through a few things.

Going to order (Radiator doesn't look too old):

1. Coolant and Heater Hoses
  2. HD Fan Clutch
  3. 190 Factory T-Stat
  4. Water Pump
  5. Heater Core
  6. Temp Sensor
Extras:
  1. Plugs, Wires, Ignition Coil
  2. Serp Belt
  3. O2 sensor
  4. TransGo Shift Kit

Hopefully that gets me to good place with the temperature situation, as I can't have this thing running hot anywhere, that's unacceptable.

So, my latest plans are this unless something changes my mind or circumstances change, since I can't bring myself to start chopping up cars at this moment, and COVID limitations, etc.

For the stock one I just grabbed, install the following soon to "hold me over" with something to play with off-road (after going through the maintenance above) and doing so affordably and not over the top, since I already have so much suspension and fab money into my existing:

1. Tuff Country 4" Drop Pivot Brackets
  2. Rough Country 4" Lift (don't use RC's drop pivots), and use the rear leafs it comes with
  3. Remove Sway Bars
  4. Swap tires and wheels from my existing LongTravel Explorer, which are 33x12.50x15's on proper backspacing
  5. Late in year, add extended radius arms, if my damaged Explorer continues to be a ways off in restoring
  6. MAYBE (money permitting) install 4.56 gears I have laying around, since this A4LD will most likely hate me otherwise
My first explorer, mentioned on this board many years back, a '93 4x4 auto, had a hybrid lift setup from previous owner. Had a 4" TC front lift, and rear 2.5" RC leafs and warrior shackles, running 32x11.50x15 BFG's and stock 3.73's. No extended rad arms. Thing performed phenomenal in all basic off-road conditions, shocking actually, haha. Crawling, not ideal, but wasn't horrible. However, with the current one using 33's and an auto, might be a little cringe worthy.

We'll see what happens here, just miss doing the offroad thing with my Explorer, as I have BLM land in every direction from where I live....only a few mins away.....need to get back at it. Dirt bikes and all are fun, but something about offroading a truck....something cool about it and heck, it's easy. Get in, and go, haha.

Now, as for the old one, been having a few different thoughts about it for later down the road. Possibly the below......?

Option 1: Take body off obviously. Find a Ranger Reg or X-Cab body, and put that on my frame, and then just continue to cage out the rear suspension cage I have now into the cab area, essentially turning it into a Expo\Ranger hybrid build. With rear end now fully exposed, add some bypass shocks to the existing setup, and possibly convert rear to coilover and a basic 2-Link setup, ditching the deavers. Fiber the front end if desired, or whatever.

Option 2: Keep as is basically like discussed in beginning of this thread, just find another Explorer body and swap (hopefully with another '92 manual trans one)

Option 3: Turn it into an OHV only vehicle, remove body, and cage it all or use another Ranger or Expo body, and go with full caging inside and out, along with a v8 drivetrain, with some re-work and additions to existing suspension setup. (nice thing is, no insurance, just basic registration, but will need to trailer it everywhere).

In meantime, need to get the latest '92 fully reliable, running wise, and potentially start buying up some suspension parts this week.....to get me back on the local trails. :burnout:

Nope, no thread build on the damaged one....however I'll add up some pics in a few.....

Here's a few pics from the past on the build.......

att_1473529613833144.jpg

att_147352961385138.jpg

IMG_20161005_163039.jpg

IMG_20161005_163045.jpg

IMG_20161005_163103.jpg

att_147586885451217.jpg

att_147690252652930.jpg

att_1476911805948136.jpg

att_1476911805959103.jpg

IMG_20161023_153640.jpg

att_1477692573412198.jpg

att_1478707669218165.jpg

att_1478806526515121.jpg

IMG_20161227_085154.jpg

IMG_20161227_085203.jpg

IMG_20170129_165150.jpg

att_1514171190147195.jpg

att_151417113907729.jpg

IMG_20171225_111258.jpg

Because RC's are cool....miss that one...

IMG_20180401_115017.jpg

Ok, miss both, haha.

First, wanted to thank Micah J for his generosity in offering to help get my rig back to a good place again, that was very awesome of him.

Second, appreciated ghosttrain for his similar generosity as well in trying to help out another explorer guy.

Thank you both!

Here in the Northern NV area, there is a reputable fab and off-road builder just a few miles from me, basically one of those guys who makes what you dream and want. Puts thoughts and wants into a physical object. Pretty amazing really.

Shop name, Dr. Smash, Eric is the owner. So, met him yesterday and spoke in length about what he does, how he works and my situation. He's going to get me back to square one and at a very reasonable price point that was inline with what I thought it would take. He'll also throw in the 4.56's I have laying around, fix my rear pre-runner bumper and possibly throw on some rear disc brakes too. Need to see if I can budget in the brakes or not.

Didn't want to have MicahJ help take on my issue and if things got challenging or something and pushed stuff out, didn't want him having to deal with storing my vehicle and me going back and forth to AZ, which will eat up resources quick.

Anyhow, DrSmash was 6 months backlogged on projects for customers, but based on my more or less straightforward need, he got me in first thing Aug.

Looking forward to getting this thing going!

Thanks everyone for the help once again, will keep ya posted on things (no pun intended).

Ryan-

Note: Did some more research on engine swaps, etc....and honestly, seems like even a basic LS 5.3 swap, which would use like a 4L60 or 4L65 trans or whatever and an atlas xfer....I mean we're talking about 6-7k just in those parts roughly, plus labor to fab up the install. I wouldn't mind doing a Dodge 5.9 360 or 5.2 318 cammed with a built 47RH trans and some tcase..... again, all money and time. For now will do what I need to do and then if time and money permit later, will explorer the V8 swap. If that's too far out, will just need to run a 410 or 422 CompCam...as I need some extra juice for the dunes too. :)

Ok, it's been happening since last week. Body swap time. This is no mere job for a basic person who does a little car care from time to time. This is seriously involved. Anyone that says otherwise, is completely downplaying it, haha. This includes a trans swap too, as I want to keep manual since the donor was an automatic as mentioned earlier. Hope to be done this coming week, hopefully..... Donor process to start tomorrow.

IMG_20200803_130905.jpg
IMG_20200804_105528_01.jpg
IMG_20200806_131159.jpg
IMG_20200806_132206_01.jpg

From other day...... Donor disassembled. Pictured. Forgot to take a few shots of the donor body merging with the original chassis yesterday. Oh well. Hoping to be wrapped up early next week. Also, taking old front seats from my original XLT body, since they were the highly upgraded lumbar, full elec adjustment and super comfy seats, so just some minor wiring there. Not a huge fan of the standard seat. Cool thing is, fabric matches nearly identical.
IMG_20200811_135509.jpg
IMG_20200811_135430.jpg

She's baaaaaaaack...... :dpchug:

Everything works, no check engine lights and drove just like it did the last time I drove it.

Just needs a good clean and vacuum.

Thanks everyone for the awesome support in getting these wheels back on the ground again, well, with a working body!

IMG_20200819_175837.jpg
IMG_20200819_175654.jpg
IMG_20200819_175540.jpg
IMG_20200819_180122.jpg
IMG_20200819_180103.jpg

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!

Following along on this project and glad you were able to get this done - - way too much great suspension on your original rig to part ways with it. Helped a buddy swap out bodies a few months ago, it is a pretty involved process.

Got an excess dash carpet from my blue-interior '91 Sport that would help protect that "new to you" dash. . .

Paul

Following along on this project and glad you were able to get this done - - way too much great suspension on your original rig to part ways with it. Helped a buddy swap out bodies a few months ago, it is a pretty involved process.

Got an excess dash carpet from my blue-interior '91 Sport that would help protect that "new to you" dash. . .

Paul

New to you always helps, doesn't it! Nice to know parts are highly available, one good thing they made a ton of these units in the 90's!

You're a good friend, as we both know, it's no easy deal to do a swap. It's hard to even wrap your head around it until you start to see the old chassis merging with the donor body and then you realize, wait, it just might be ok and work out as planned!

Yeah, it was either do this swap or let the whole thing just sit in my garage for years to come until I had a good plan and enough cash to see an entirely different transformation occur, however when the fabricator agreed to a price and had a pretty good idea of his abilities, I jumped onboard, since he was already 3-4 months out on work, so had enough time to cough up the remaining balance I'd need.

Now I just need to plan carefully on the next phase of this build.

A few things on the horizon:

1: My rear straps might be limiting my down travel, so we'll re-measure everything and see if we can't get me a few more inches, as those rear shocks have a lot more travel in them, but need to make sure brake lines and drivelines are ok with such too. Might need extensions.

2: Front coilovers should be shortened some (simple spanner wrench adjustment), to drop the front a notch down, to help with the alignment and body stance some.

3: Still need to put the 4.56 gears in I have along with new limited slip clutch pack to freshen it up

4: Truss the D35

5: Since it's likely I'll keep running the D35 (just not sure I want to be wider with the D44 TTB), figure out all the parts needed for the D44 outter swap on the D35, so I can beef this baby up some.

6: If I don't do a motor\trans\tc or another vehicle swap in the near future, need to redo my AC, since I had to lose it in the swap

7: Would love to grab a second gen rear disc brake setup and perform a conversion, as I would love to have the extra stopping power and control on the old rear 8.8 unless a Ford 9" swap is in the future with a link setup, if that made more sense over the 8.8, as the rear shocks can support being converted to a coilover, without having to replace them.

Some of these items will attack sooner than later, as they're easier to chew off.

Thanks again all for the support. This is still an outstanding forum after all these years! :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, he also threw these in more or less free, ditching the old crappy slightly extended stock bumpstops with these HD Dodge Ram 1 ton I believe bumps. They actually provide a real smooth bottom out experience vs what I had earlier, which was basically ZERO give. I'm all about it.

IMG_20200822_091337.jpg

Back