Quick Question about Timing Chain Tensioners | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Quick Question about Timing Chain Tensioners

Nhs218315

Reaction score
City, State
Charlotte, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport Trac
Hello All,

This may be a dumb question but I need to drain the oil before replacing the rear passenger side timing chain tensioner and the front driver side timing chain tensioner, correct?

It would be a good idea afterwards but it's not "manditory"

HELP ME PLEASE!! My Uncle is working on my explorer and has everything torn down. he is replacing the timing chain, cassettes, and guides. But we dont know what or how to set the time on it. It had jumped time and had a lot of slack when he got to it, so is there a factory setting for time or can any tell us what to set it to?

HELP ME PLEASE!! My Uncle is working on my explorer and has everything torn down. he is replacing the timing chain, cassettes, and guides. But we dont know what or how to set the time on it. It had jumped time and had a lot of slack when he got to it, so is there a factory setting for time or can any tell us what to set it to?

AnnaB, read this thread: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2509638

You'll need to buy or borrow the tool described in post #9 . Good luck!

Back