X-Locker

vq5speed

Reaction score
City, State
1991 XLT Manual Locks
Year, Model & Trim Level
Stockton,Ca
X-Locker - Overhead sliding storage

So one day I was thinking I wanted to put in some overhead type storage. Something that can hang from the ceiling or mount. I looked around found people using cargo nets to store stuff hanging up. I seen other types of bungee cords strung across. I didn't like any of those ideas. Then I came across a product by Leer that makes cab tops for pickups they call it there Leer Locker. Here's a picture you can go to YouTube and they have videos of it working. Basically it just slides out and rest on the tailgate.
q100_w600_h600_images_leerLocker.jpg

I thought what a cool idea I want to make one for my X. So I set out to design my own. At first I thought of making it short just to hang over the back area behind the seats. Because it would hit passengers heads if it went longer like I wanted it. But I figured it be just too short and not worth the time to make it. So decided to make it longer all the way to the back of the front seats. Just make it narrower to fit in the middle of the rear passenger seats. It rolls on 4 steel rollers that have sealed bearings. There is a frame that the rear rollers roll on. The front rollers are mounted to the frame and the track that rolls on is mounted on the box. So there is 2 tracks one on the frame and on the box.

I started with my wooden box propped it up to see how it would sit how low it would sit. I planned it to hang about 5" but it ended up hanging down around 7"

Its covered in a mocha color vinyl to match my interior also padding so if passenger were to hit there heads it will hurt less! :D I like how it turned out I call it the "X-Locker" tell me what you think?

DSCN2591_zps1d664300.jpg

DSCN2601_zpsc3ee37b8.jpg

DSCN2607_zps37b1952d.jpg

DSCN2606_zps1220da64.jpg

Had to move my map light forward..
DSCN2588_zps1af30007.jpg

DSCN2505_zpse445571f.jpg

some more pics

DSCN2565_zpseb32ed04.jpg

DSCN2566_zps6bfd0c59.jpg

DSCN2572_zpsa6aa05c2.jpg

Update: I lowered the position of my spare tire so I can open my window without having to lower down the carrier. This also give me better rear view vision.

DSCN2632_zpse6cf8a37.jpg

DSCN2636_zps353e2da3.jpg

That's pretty slick! Looks like a ton of work; how much time do you think you have it it, total?

After studying Leer's track mechanism how there's worked they don't show any pictures of that. I watched a install video that gave me quick glimps of there track how it dropped down when you pulled it out. I had to order lots of my parts and materials online so that took few weeks just waiting for those things to come in. Everything I ordered I didn't order at the same time I didn't know exactly how it was going to come together I sorta was designing it as I was building it. So actual working time once I gathered all materials and new how I was going to build the frame for the track I say total about 6 hours over a few days. The whole thing is bolted and glued together so anyone could build this with some cutting tools. The cost was about $230.00.

Back