X studering, dieing, CE light on/off what is up? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

X studering, dieing, CE light on/off what is up?

Rippin_93

Reaction score
City, State
Durango, CO,
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT
hey all i was wondering if anyone could help me figure out this problem. its happened a couple of times. once dry and two times when it is raining.

The x runs fine then it will jump in rpm's the CE light comes on and it has no power when the accelerator is on the floor. some times it dies usually when it has been wet or is raining. once it took awile for it to start up and the other times this has happened it started and kinda pulsed from being fine to running like crap? usually after this happens the voltmeter jumps around so i think it is an electrical problem or sensor? lately its been getting worse and happens almost everytime the x is driven. it will happen then stop and the truck runs fine for as long as your driving. it is really wierd and i now dont trust this thing to take me to the mail box anymore. im going to throw a code reader on it tomarrow and see what that says but any advice or suggestions would be great. thanks to anyone who respondes :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey i got some codes!

they were 111, 411, 211, 167. i dont know what i was doing today but i couldnt get the code reader to work right. I must be alittle retarded today or something. only one code seems to be a problem the others are my fault. i changed the VSS and the CKP sensor and cleaned the MAF and air filter and changed the positive bat cable. i changed these because i read some other posts that were similer to the problem that i was having so maybe i could eliminate some posibilitys. i also ordered a new coil pack because awhile ago when i had this problem i checked the codes and it said something about coil was grounded or something?

on another note i was wondering if because i had no exhaust after the cats might have something to do with this? well anymore help would be great.

Can I assume the 111 indicates that it passed the KOEO test?
KOER 411 is usually symptomatic rather than diagnostic. It simply means that the idle was rough during the KOER test. We'll look at the other codes.
KOER 167 (it was a KOER code, right?) Is probably a result of not giving it enough of a "goose" for the goose test. If you did give it a good goose (brief 3/4 to full throttle), then there could be a problem with the TPS circuit.
Which leaves CM (continuous memory) 211. This indicates some intermittent fault in the PIP signal. I'm not real good with this code, but I would look at wiring problems between the CKP and the ICM, and the ICM and the EEC-IV computer.

from what the scanner says everything is kool now except the 411 code keeps poping up. one wierd thing to mention is when i was doing a KOER test it came to the Cylinders=X part and i pressed the brake and the engine almost died then it said code 3? for the discription it gave on the scanner it said no text for code 3. any ideas what happened? ran the test again and everything was fine? dont know what to expect from the :exporange anymore kinda lame. well any more ideas mrshorty? :cool:

No new ideas. I still think you have an intermittent fault in the PIP signal (wiring that runs near the brake pedal maybe???). From a good manual with pinpoint tests
1) Continuous Memory Code 211: Erratic Ignition
Code 211 indicates 2 successive erratic Profile Ignition Pick-Up (PIP) pulses occurred. Possible causes for this fault are:
* Loose wires or connectors.
* Secondary ignition short to ground.
* On-board transmitter equipment (2-way radio).
You've replaced the CKP. I don't know if Autozone can test these ICM's, but you might have them look at it if they can. Beyond that, I think you're down to tracing/checking the wiring. If you can get a hold of a proper manual (look for professional manuals like Mitchell at the library), you can get a hold of the complete pinpoint test.

BTW, the code "3" after it stumbled was probably the computer's engine id (3=6 cylinders) being output.

Back