xj (jeep cherokee) lift option

swak6287

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Rockwall tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT
'wel, i almist got it... an 87 jeep cherokee 4x4. woohoo...eventhoug it is not an explorer, at least it is a 4x4 and i can play harder now
now, anyone knows of any cheap way to lif tit up. i wanna 33s or 35s.
thansk for the help guys.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

one question, why they call the jeeps by 2 alphabets?

Originally posted by swak6287
one question, why they call the jeeps by 2 alphabets?

Probably started with the original Wrangler, the CJ, which stood for Civilian Jeep. The two letters are internal code used by DaimlerChrysler.

XJ: Cherokee
ZJ: Grand Cherokee 93-98
WJ: Grand Cherokee 99-04
KJ: Liberty
MJ: Comanche
YJ: Wrangler until 97
TJ: Wrangler 97-Present
SJ: Original Grand Wagoneer (the big ones with the wood)

There, now you know more about Jeeps than you ever wanted to. :D

Also, you might want to check out www.naxja.com Probably going to be more tech info over there than on the JU. I'd be interested to know what you find out, as I'm going to pick up a 92 XJ pretty soon.

Mike

It took 3" of suspension lift to get my roomate's '00 cherokee to squeeze 31s without rubbing, so lots of lift is certainly in order...

if i remember right, the 87 XJ has leaf on all corners, and easy lift would be Sping overs all the way around, that would give you about 8" of lift if my mind isn't lying to me.

the front is spring and shocks, the rear is SOA. i tihkn i will keep it stock and save up for 6-8 inch. i read around and yah.. 3-4 inch just to fit a 31s, that kinda sucks.

The thing is that the Cherokees look good even with some agressive fender trimming. You can get cut-out flares for them as well. They are awesome off road because of the SFA and will go almost anywhere you could expect them to with the mods you would have. There are also a few long arm kits out there that will make them flex like crazy, but they are kinda pricy. There is a guy on www.pavementsucks.com that did his own long arms and they flex great, you should check it out.

My buddy and I are going to do a 3" junkyard lift on his jeep.
We got the boxy style dakota's rear leaf springs and 78 f-150 2wd coils.
I'll post pictures when we're done.
Even though it is blasphemy here. :D

Found some info tonight that you might find useful. Courtesy of naxja.com

XJ Lift Info

Mike

swak, pm sureshot40sw. he is in the same boat, as he is looking for an XJ to build right now. he is the resident XJ guru and has all that junk memorized. from what ive seen the only bad thing is it takes quite a lot of lift to fit 33's as the stock fender openings are pretty low. even with cutting/flares, its pretty hard to open them up.

thanks for the info, james and mike.
mike, the site is super helpful
james, iwill pm that guy and see wha he says. got thte truck yesterday, left it at my inlaws in arlingotn. need to fix an O riing on the fuel line. then, i can drive it home.
need to get the ex back to normal. finish up the ex, then start on the xj.

Back