• Register Today It's free!

Yet Again...Spark Plugs

kessler11

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Limited Edition
I know this has been mentioned on the site in the past but I had an experience to relate.

I took my 94 Limited to the shop (good guys, I trust them and they know I do a lot of work on the ride myself) and they asked about the new plugs I put in. I just changed the wires and plugs, installing Bosch platinums (the single for 1.99). The shop guys said Boschs shouldn't be used in Xs and I should use what Ford recomends.

Question is, are these good plugs to use, or should I go with Autolite or Motorcraft?

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Many have had problems with bosch plugs, many have not. But what's sure is that you will NOT have a problem with the OEM motorcraft plugs. Those "in the know" normally use them.

Thanks...that's the kind of imput I was looking for!

I'm pretty sure the Autolites are the same as the Motorcraft plugs. Just labeled differently.

section525, not sure about the explorers but I can tell you autolite and motorcraft plugs are definately not the same. I try to stay away from anything made by allied signal afte rhearing so many bad reports about there various products (Fram, Autolite, etc.). I replaced mine with Motorcraft double platinum's. Have heard of many problems with the Bosch +4's, though I had them on my explorer and had no problems (but didn't notice any gain either)

Autolite and Motorcraft plugs are not the same. Motorcraft's are made of different materials and a much better design.

I tried Autolite plugs in my X, didn't have good results. About the only plugs that work well in this engine is the Motorcraft plugs.

Back