• Register Today It's free!

Yet another project

Joe93

Elite Dakota
Reaction score
City, State
Colorado Springs, CO
Joe93's 87 Bronco II project

well i changed my mind and am no longer building the explorer. I am now building an 87 Bronco II i picked up cheap. Wanted something a little smaller and 2 doors instead of 4. So pthe plan now is to swap everything over from the explorer to the BII. Like the 4.0, manual trans, transfercase, Dash, Front clip, seats, D44,9 inch and also chop the top :D Some people say im crazy and i agree. it gives me something to do. So stay tunned and pics will come. First thing to do is gut the explorer the send it to the crusher. then the fun will begin on the BII.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

crazy can be good, good luck with it

Cannot wait to wheel with ya!
2007 here we come!

hopefully this will go a little quicker then the explorer. Im goin to take things one at a time instead of 15 things at once. my first project is the dash swap and the sploder drivetrain swap. If anyone has any tips or links to help me please share.

its pretty straight forward, seriously since both trucks were TTB your 91 drivetrain will 99% bolt in.
You will have to make some fuel lines, or find the correct ones (POSSIBLY your 91 lines may plug right in, my experience is with 93+)
The only other thing will be the wiring, and we are talking like 16 wires fromt eh computer/power harness to the BII body, not a huge deal. I can even copy you my 2.9L to 4.0L wiring charts.
You will have to build an alternator wiring harness, your main fuse panel in the BII is under the dash, well NOT ANYMORE!! but you still have to feed it some power.....

I would suggest ditching the 91 power distribution box and putting a 93-94 style box in place of it, this will give you a TON of extra fuse locations and 3 extra relay locations (4 if you are not running AC) plus it is more weather friendly then the 91 setup. Wiring this change is a snap....this was one of the best upgrades I ever did on my truck, its still there with the 5.0L.

once you get everythng inthere, convert the 8.8 to spring over and set the pinion angle you can start with the Explorer driveshafts and have them shortened for your BII.

Joe93 said:
well i changed my mind and am no longer building the explorer. I am now building an 87 Bronco II i picked up cheap. Wanted something a little smaller and 2 doors instead of 4. So pthe plan now is to swap everything over from the explorer to the BII. Like the 4.0, manual trans, transfercase, Dash, Front clip, seats, D44,9 inch and also chop the top :D Some people say im crazy and i agree. it gives me something to do. So stay tunned and pics will come. First thing to do is gut the explorer the send it to the crusher. then the fun will begin on the BII.

Sounds fun, not crazy at all, wait till I get my build page up. I like hearing someones gonna chop the top on there BII, but like I say if your gonna do it go all the way like mine, those half chop tops look like Rangers with bobbed beds.
665735_7.jpg

Back