Yokohama AVS S/T | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Yokohama AVS S/T

Does anyone have any input on these tire? I have a 2003 Explorer Limited with 245/70/17. I am wondering if I could install 260/60/17 or the ones I really want the 275/60/17. I am wanting a thicker tire without loosing and tire height.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have them on my 1998 EB Explorer and I have been very happy with the performance and wear. I have 285/60 17's. I intend to replace them when worn with the same tire. For me, a good compromise between street performance and mild dirt/gravel offroad while retaining close to the stock diameter (on my truck the stock tire was 255/70 16). I didn't want the low profile street truck tire look but they still have a nice aggressive look even though they are relatively tall (these days) for a performance street tire.

VERY loud, wear fast, not a siginificant increase in handling...

My dad has them on his 98 Mounty and they sound like friggin' mud tires and they won't wear straight. And dad is **** about alignment, balance and tire pressure. He even had them ground smooth and road force balanced and a few months later they are howling on the interstate again

He can't wait to wear them out so he can get better tires

Hydroxy also had a problem with his wearing really fast

My buddy had some on his F-150 with 20" Momos. I had to drive it a few and the ride was very noisy and rough. He even said he would choose diff. if he had the choice. Don't know about the wear, but the ride sucked.

I have them on my 98 sport now. I love them. They handle great even in the snow they hold up pretty well. I’ve had them on for about 40,000 miles and there is plenty of meat left on them. I will definitely buy them again when these wear out.

ChopinOn22s said:
My buddy had some on his F-150 with 20" Momos. I had to drive it a few and the ride was very noisy and rough. He even said he would choose diff. if he had the choice. Don't know about the wear, but the ride sucked.

I would expect a 45/50 series tire on a 20 inch rim would be extremely harsh on an Explorer. My experience is with 60 series on a 17 inch rim (Shorter sidewall = harsher ride) on an Explorer. Noisy? Not in my case. Factor that in when you weigh these evaluations. Also, it's best to compare somewhat similiar vehicles and tires, a F150 with 20 inch wheels and 45/50 series tires isn't an Explorer with 60 series on 17 inch rims. Apples and oranges....

Back