• Register Today It's free!

ZC servo upgrade

Bruce Rock

Reaction score
City, State
Kaukauna, Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
Going to change intermediate and Over Drive cover seals out due to a major leak. Read through old posts on this and came across one from Glacier suggesting changing the Over Drive servo to a ZC and the intermediate to an AB. Is this still recommend? Vehical has a little over 170,000 miles on it. No other problem with the transmission other than the oil leak.

I know I will need a ZC cover, do I also need new springs?

Both flanges on the Y pipe for the exhaust are rusted with only one bolt on eash manifold holding it on, so at the very least I will be removing the Y pipe to add split flanges or a new pipe. Access to the servo covers should be adquate.

The heat shields are also rusted, so I plan on replacing them by wrapping fiberglass cloth around the cats and pipes.

If it wasn't for this site and it's members I would have had to junk the explorer long ago.

Zc

When I did the ZC upgrade I upgraded the spring as well.

Thanks for your reply 91Explored.

Do you remember what color spring (or springs if you did the intermediate servo as well) you installed? WIT transmissions parts lists Orange, Blue and Green ones.

Spring color

I dont remember it now. I went thru the a4ld rebuild sticky and found the color there in the section for the servos.

Back