flare shift oblivious to VB upgrade - servos next? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

flare shift oblivious to VB upgrade - servos next?

chaliceburn

Reaction score
City, State
anchorage, alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer
Thanks to encouraging results had by numerous obviously knowledgeable people here, I dropped my VB and did a Transgo kit, as well as a new EPC, and bracket. The old bracket was fine, but I bought a new one, and put it on anyway. The top-most VB gasket was blown in two areas: right next to the four solenoid bank (directly in front of the solenoid right next to the EPC) and the outermost corner on the reverse servo, matching many others pictures here. The lower gasket was entirely intact, oddly. So was the reverse servo gasket.

This was to correct a worsening 2-3 flare, that only gradually expressed itself after about 190K on a (now) 209K miles 2001 v6 Awd SOHC. It did usually have a bit of delay in reverse when cold as well. But sometimes "cold" is 20 below, and this beast has always served me well so I thought nothing of that, even if it was much warmer outside.

After adding 2 more quarts of ATF than the 4 I thought it needed, it seems it does shift a bit firmer, but the same flare is present, and seems magnified even. I adjusted the Intermediate band, to tight at first, (so I know its still there at least!) but loosening it didn't help the flare either. I didn't want to do both of them at once, because from what I read the intermediate is more suspect with the flare, and I wanted to drive it a bit before doing the OD band for comparison's sake.

So I'm thinking maybe the intermediate or OD servos are possibly at fault (correction - I possibly f'd 'em up). A month ago I had to replace the stock(?) German made thermostat, and overheated the motor a few times in the process. Since I believe the intermediate and OD servos are right next to a cat, it seems to follow I might have melted something on those. From what I read they are cheap parts, just a PITA to do.. right up my alley.

Anyone else done a VB upgrade with less than desired results? Any suggestions?

*sigh* I bought a drain plug today too...

Back