I broke it good this time | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I broke it good this time

Well, there I was minding my own business, gruvin with the newly fixed AC vibe.

It felt so good, I decided to treat the Turdle to an oil change, and get some lightbulbs for the house. A good shakedown run I thought.

So, off to wally world. I got some general tsao's chicken from the deli, some synthetic oil, a brand new Motorcraft filter, found some 67 watt bulbs, man, everything was going well. Even the check out clerk had wit this time.

I had just washed The mounty and was thinking how good it looked as I walked toward it.

I noticed a new Van had parked next to me, so, I carefully backed out.I continued backing , making a reverse u turn so I could go the other direction out.
I checked to the right, nobody coming, gave it some gas and BAMM!!!

Yup, I drove right in to a stop sign pole.:( My pillar gauges had created just enough of a blind spot I didn't even see it there. To be honest, I was in an area of the parking lot I never use, so I didn't know it was there. I sat there wondering WTF, and tried to get out. Aw fudge, the door did not open good. Once I was able to get out, I saw liquid on the ground, and a folded over stop sign.

And yeah, I hit it hard. I do think my junk is totaled. I was probably doing 5-10mph, not so fast, but the concrete pillar was just high enough to inflict serious pain.

It folded in the bumper, the header panel, fender, hood , and crushed the battery. The grill and corner light is broken .

The hood will not open, and battery fluid is in a puddle. I checked to see if it would be drivable, and saw a bent tie rod, with yellow Paint on the lower control arm also.

We do have insurance, so hopefully with a little luck there will be enough going on to fix it resourcefully.

Pics as soon as I can. I didn't have the camera with me.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Holy crap! This sucks:(

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Isn't amazing all the pride you take in you take in your vehicle and its capabilities when you are out on the trail, and then BAM! Screwed by a renegade stop sign, (which from your post seems to have been installed with an ungodly amount of concrete).
Good luck with the rebuild!

True. The sign was no issue, it was the dang 3' concrete pole.

We went back last night by the way in Matts truck, re enacted the crime and would you believe it? From where I backed to, the sign is invisible.

The stop sign itself is out of view above the roof, and the pole is hidden by a a pillar with no guages, the side mirror blocks the rest.

So, without further delay, what you all have been waiting for

8-15-2009004.jpg

8-15-2009005.jpg

8-15-2009006.jpg

8-15-2009015.jpg

8-15-2009014.jpg

And where we left it last evening dur to the inner tie rod thread thingy

16mmx1.5 thread size, by the way

8-15-2009018.jpg

Ah yeah its all looking pretty cosmetic.

Im glad it is not as bad as you first thought

It's lucky that bumper didn't go back far enough to puncture your tire! Who in the world puts a stop sign in 3ft of concrete!!

...It sure made it easier to now afford the new custom bumper and get those new glass fenders you know you want...:D

It's lucky that bumper didn't go back far enough to puncture your tire! Who in the world puts a stop sign in 3ft of concrete!!

All the walmarts around here are like that. If anyone hits it good luck lol

All the walmarts around here are like that. If anyone hits it good luck lol

Not in Texas! I have seen more bent stop signs then stop signs in concrete. Here the "rolling" stop is preferred ;)

Well now that we'll have 2 of them lying in our yard...

33b04yt.jpg

Get to working, you have a trip to show up at in around 2 weeks, no excuses! :)
O and dang that sux.

Oh man, sorry to see that Jon.

Get to working, you have a trip to show up at in around 2 weeks, no excuses! :)

Yes! Get the steering fixed and hammer out the dents or throw on a mis-matched fender and hood and show up to Ouray! Thats what I did last year, I just tried to take pictures of the good side! :D

OH WOW!! I have to start paying more attention to the forums. I just seen this truck only a month and half ago and just couldn't stop admiring the way it is. Everything , same with Eric's. I felt priviledged to have ridden in both. And now this happens, I'm at a lost of words Jon but I know you'll get her back together in no Time!! These are the time I wish I was more mechanically inclined so I could help do some wrenching this time around! The best of luck from me!:thumbsup: :salute:

Jon, if I can help repair anything at a distance, i.e welding, fab, don't hesitate to ask.

Come hell or high water, we're gonna get you to Ouray.

if you want help i'm off sunday and can come down anytime. i got to make sure you get to Ouray

I'm off Monday-Tuesdays if you ever need a helping hand for anything.

Ok, here is a good perspective from Matt's truck, imagine the sunvisor down, Which it was

blindspot.jpg

Stupid pole

stupidpole.jpg

The pole itself was completely bent to where the stop sign was on the ground. When it went bamm I still couldn't figure out what is was, because I saw nothing.

The shopping cart guys re adjusted the pole--good as new

hitpole.jpg

It's actually a steel pipe filed with concrete.

Insurance does not have an adjuster in the area, They want a body shop estimate.
So, Sparksaflyin and I went down to repair the stripped threads, install a inner tie rod and then I drove it to a good body shop so they can look at it first thing.

Ow wow that thing is invisible, we should sue walmart, ford, and the inventor of stop signs.

I'm not saying that--
However I am trying to justify a small amount of my stupidity.

It is all my fault I know.

Thanks for all the support. I am not giving up yet, although this is going to test me greatly. I may be asking for some help. Mind another night at the B&B?

Back