Dismiss Notice

and gain access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modifications and Events, Street Truck Mods and Events, and much more! Since 1996 our community has covered every aspect of the Ford Explorer, Ford Ranger and all vehicles based on this platform.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Need help with popping sound and shaking coming from engine

Discussion in 'Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers' started by Themightyquinn, August 5, 2012.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Themightyquinn

Themightyquinn Active Member

City, State:
      Philly, PA
      Year and Model:
      2007 Eddie Bauer 4.0L AWD
      I have a 1992 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0L OHV. I just got done replacing my fuel injectors(remanufactured), TPS, valve cover gaskets; repainting my valve covers; and cleaning my fuel rail, upper intake manifold, and throttle body. Now the engine runs like crap. :( When the engine runs, I hear a loud occasional popping sound coming from the engine compartment (not sure exactly where but almost sounds like a backfire) every 3 to 5 seconds and the engine will shake like its a bout to die. The RPMs do seem a little below average for idle, but by barely a hair. Also, a very strong rotten eggs smell coming from the exhaust.I pulled all 6 spark plugs, and all three on the driver side of the engine were very black and sooty and one of them, the arc was actually bent a little (I would post images, but i don't know how to). The other three however, had normal wear. The spark plugs only had less than 1000 miles on them. So I replaced all 6 plugs in the hope that they were the cure, but no luck. I installed them and the engine ran no different. I ran the engine for a few minutes and pulled the plugs. The 3 on the driver side were already kinda sooty, and the other 3 looked fine. When I performed the KOEO test, all i get is 111, meaning all systems ok. When I performed the KOER test and goose test, all I get is 116 (engine coolant temp sensor out of range). Really confused at this point. The engine ran fine before I worked on it other than the leaking valve cover gaskets. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!:usa:
      Also, when put into gear (auto trans) the engine dies.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. pteepee69

pteepee69 Active Member

City, State:
      Lawrenceburg,Ky.
      Year and Model:
      '94 XLT
      If it were me I would start with double checking my work first. Are all the plugs for your injectors on the correct injector. All plug wires in the right order on the coil as well as on the correct cylinder. Are all other electrical connections being made. MAF sensor plugged in. Fuel regulator vacuum line connected. All vacuum lines connected to vacuum tree. I know when I've had my top half off I had broken one of the rigid black vacuum lines going to my EGR vacuum diaghram. Double check it all and then go from there.

4. Anime

Anime EF YEAH!! Elite Explorer

Year and Model:
      2016 EX Sport Concept
      Sounds like you hooked something up wrong or didn't hook something up that needs to be. The rotten eggs smell is the catalytic converter, it's either getting destroyed by too rich of a ruel/air mix if the fuel system is dumping in too much fuel, or they are overheating (or both). Re-check everything as suggested. It may be as simple as some unplugged connectors, or you may need to rip it apart and start over.

Did you 'burp' the cooling system as required, or are you just running it straight with air in the system? If you don't burp the air out of the cooling system before running it normally, the trapped air will stick the thermostat closed and the engine will overheat, sputtering and dying. If the coolant temp sensor is fried or dead, you could be overheating the engine but won't know it until it's too late because the gauge reading won't tell you what's really going on.

5. Themightyquinn

City, State:
      Philly, PA
      Year and Model:
      @Anime, thanks a lot for the reply. I was not aware of the coolant burp. how exactly is it performed? And where exactly is the coolant temp sensor? Thank you.

6. Anime

Year and Model:
      2016 EX Sport Concept
      Might be the larger sending unit for the EEC system rather than the sensor for the gauge.

You might also need to replace the thermostat itself if you have not already done so.

7. Themightyquinn

City, State:
      Philly, PA
      Year and Model:
      @pteepee69 Thanks for the reply. I feel like an idiot. I had the spark plug wires on the left side of the engine in the wrong order. Lol. After that she purred like a kitten. Thanks 4 your assistance. Next stop ball joints! Any helpful hints as I have never replaced them before?

8. Themightyquinn

City, State:
      Philly, PA
      Year and Model:
      @Anime. Thanks a lot. I will give this a shot tomorrow.

9. Anime

Year and Model:
      2016 EX Sport Concept
    10. Bill O'Rights

Bill O'Rights New Member

City, State:
      Omaha, NE
      Year and Model:
      '94 XLT
      Not to worry. Every single one of us has done something as or more embarrasing than that. If they say they haven't, they're either lying or have never done any type of repair/maintenance work. ;)