Truck is down, Need it back Asap. Please help! | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Truck is down, Need it back Asap. Please help!

Is the PCV a pain to replace? I am guessing its bad, since the normal maintenance stuff on this truck has seem to have all been neglected

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Unless you put an aftermarket gauge in, these trucks don't have an oil pressure gauge. All the "gauge" can tell is is if you are over or under 5 psi of oil pressure. Is the engine consuming large amounts of oil? A quart ever 1k miles is not abnormal.

Oil level stays steady, but I can see the oil from the breather that has come out.

I have some "oil conditioner/stop leak" I guess I could throw that in and see if it helps

Ok, this is experience with the 4.0 again, but the breather on the throttle body is probably nothing more than to burn off excess gasoline vapors from your canister. If its a little 3/16" or smaller line, thats what it is. If oil is leaking from that, it is coming from inside the intake manifold. The PCV line goes from the valve cover to the intake manifold. It is about a 3/8" hose. The PCV valve can go bad and cause some oil to be sucked into the intake. Once you find it, they are super easy to replace. DO NOT put anything in your engine oil. It will do nothing, and can cause all kinds of problems.

Once I find it, does not sound promising haha

I will search around and see what I can find about the PCV on here. Usually, its hard finding any pics that are similar to how my truck is set up, but atleast a general idea would be helpful.

Looked it up on autozone and apparently its $2.99 to replace!? haha

I will probably hit the auto parts store tomorrow and grab a PCV and an O2 sensor. Should be a major help and for about $50 is hard to beat.

...I'm moving your thresd over to the "Under the hood" sub forum...;)

Searched multiple times for "o2 Sensor 2.3" and I am not getting anything.

Anyone have any tips?

Seems like it might be a little of a PITA as far as how its positioned, but seems pretty straightforward as far as replacing it.

..Rear of the motor next to fire wall...

...It is in the Haynes manual.

Grabbed PCV and O2 sensor today.

Rented the tool and swapped the O2 sensor right in the parking lot......

Now, the truck runs worse!!!! I could barely get to work.

It sputters if you try to accelerate and has no power. Then, if you can get it to rev up enough, you can drive a way and then it starts sputtering again!!

I haven't changed the PCV yet, because I can not find it at all.

Any help would be great, since I am basically now stranded at work....

The only thing I can seem to find that has 2 vacuum lines going to it is something to do with the EGR? The diagram on under the hood does not show the location of the PCV....

Looking at pictures online, its right by your oil fill tube.

As for the o2 sensor making it run worse, that may be a good thing. I'm guessing you did not reset your computer, which if it was running off stored data, and now has a working o2, it could throw everything off.

Should I do a KOEO and pull the clip? Or is there a better way to reset?

Sine it ran better with the old O2 sensor, maybe the store gave you the wrong part? Did you compare the numbers? Install the old part, and see if it goes back to normal again. Maybe you unplugged something while replacing the O2 sensor?

The thing is, I don't have an O2 sensor wrench, I rented one to replace the old one. Since I cant get the truck back to the store, and they are closed, I cant swap them out any time soon.

I am going to try and reset and hopefully that will help

Just disconnect your battery and wait a few minutes.

The new one looks different than the old one, but I figured it was just because it is a replacement. Didn't even think that they might have given me the wrong part.....

Its seems that there are 2 different styles. A "smaller skinny" sensor and a "bigger fat" sensor. I took a smaller one off and they gave me the bigger one.

I guessing this might be causing some bad ju ju, but it doesn't state on their website what, if any difference there is between the parts.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OK. Looks like the smaller one is "Narrow band, NON heated" and the fat one is "Narrow band, HEATED"........

Hopefully, they wont give me a bunch of **** about returning it for the correct one....

Back