2/3rd of the Ugly Brothers at Ouray | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2/3rd of the Ugly Brothers at Ouray

reapereviltwin

Keep on wheelin John Rock
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
York, Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 Explorer
Since it don't look as if Robert and I are gonna be able to make it to the offical CCR run up in Leadville, we are not going to post on that thread for this trip and just start another one on our adventures here in Ouray.

Friends on FB already have a headstart on what we have been doing so far, but we are still considering this an EF run.

Due to medical reasons our brother Gene (Deadman on EF) was not able to attend, he is OK now, but had to spend some time in the hospital and used all his sick time and vacation during that time. I have put a spark in his head to head to Moab next year and stop here in Ouray before we go to Moab so he can get some Ouray trails under his belt.

We made it here to the Ouray KOA last night, went into Ouray and found out the Biergarten is no longer in business. :( We got back to the KOA after having a meal and set up our sites, then the rain started and dang did it rain.

Todays agenda, dry out, then test some trails, just something simple like Yankeeboy first just to check the trails and go from there.

We would of liked to make it to Leadville to see some new faces and remeet some "old" friends that we have already meet before, but it just don't look like that is feasible.

HAPPY TRAILS!!!!!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've never been out there before, but it seems like some nice terrain out that way. I'd like to make it out there some day. Have fun and be safe y'all

So far this trip has not been uneventful. First Mike missed a turn in NM. Then I smoked by brakes big time comming down one of the passes. We get here and have a flood, hope things get better. Oh well all part of the fun. :D :D

...You will need them brakes throughout that area..

..Drop her in first gear, take your time, and enjoy the scenery...

..The scenery isn't that pretty when your pedal goes to the floor as you are gaining speed downhill with no brakes..:eek:..:D

Oh yea...Where's the pictures?..:popcorn:

I've never been out there before, but it seems like some nice terrain out that way. I'd like to make it out there some day. Have fun and be safe y'all

It is fun, hope to get to wheel with you someday!!! :chug:.

Just did a little run on Yankeeboy today to do a shakedown on the rigs, few issues but that is how it goes, raining again :fire:

Had to do the car wash at the Imogene entrance/exit area.

IMG_3653_zps293e450b.jpg

The folks in the background had a Land Rover that died in the crossing, from the sound of it they proably got water sucked into their engine.
IMG_3655_zpsefb82a87.jpg

Robert on the way down.

IMG_3659_zpsa7500781.jpg

Did get to meet some fine folks from Texas at the double waterfall on the trail, bs's with them for around an hour, gonna meet up with them on Saturday and do Black Bear and Imogene with them.

Tbar you are right, from now on it will be 1st gear and as for anyone behind me too bad. As for pics, dont have any of the smoking brakes. It happen as we were coming to the bottom of the pass. they had road work and stop us as we came out of a cruve. I had to step on them a lot harder than I want to.

Mike already told that we meet some people from Tx. They call themself the two nut 4x4 club. Just the two of them, they have two big nuts hanging from the back of there rigs. Now they are all the members they have now.

I do have a few more pics of our little run today.We just went up Yankee Boy today. It was great. here is a few pics.

Start or trail
Ouary8-13004-1.jpg

the car wash
Ouary8-13013.jpg

Ouary8-13010.jpg

..Keep them pictures coming..:biggthump

..I'm stuck at a desk at this minute without any wheeling in my immediate future and pictures of you guys wheeling that area is just what the doctor ordered..:D

..and be sure to check your front bearings after heating them up with the brakes and the water crossings..Don't want to hear any bad stories from this trip, only good stuff..

..and hopefully the rain stops and all the trails stay open..:popcorn:

..Keep them pictures coming..:biggthump

Here come a few now Ted!!!

Today we did Engineer, Poughkeepsie, Hurricane, and Corkscrew.

We got waved down by this person on Engineer, seems he had a slight mishap, and Robert got to give his winch a taste of things to come on Poughkeepsie.

IMG_3673_zps4e96a368.jpg

IMG_3674_zps131720c0.jpg

Winch point on Poughkeepsie, this is when it started to rain, and we had to wait for 5 jeeps ahead of us, this might be why the sign entering this trail states a winch, lockers, and lift is required. There is no bypass. (what looks like a bypass is blocked off)

IMG_3677_zps275bc8d5.jpg

IMG_3678_zps76412eb5.jpg

At passes.

IMG_3695_zps4c843f67.jpg

IMG_3683_zps074d2f27.jpg

IMG_3691_zps285e8932.jpg

The rain was not much, just enough to be a slight pain, the trails are muddy in spots, more like mudpuddles.

Coming down Hurricane I lost brakes in the Jack, and I mean all the way to the floor and nothing, I was able to get them back by pumping, but that was a pencil sharpener. No leaks visible, fluid good etc. I got it back down and lost them again later but still got them back. Needless to say Jack is out of the trails for now.
But Robert will still be able to do Black Bear and Imogene, we are meeting up with the 2-nuts group tomorrow and I will just ride shotgun with Robert. I have already done these so as long as he gets them under his belt all is good.
I will have to get into Jack's brakes when I get home.

Bummer about your brakes. Are you not able to fix them there (simple fix?) What day do you leave the area? There is a chance we might come down to Ouray Sunday or Monday.

Nice pics!

Thanks Brian!!!

Couldn't see any visable fault with the brakes, master cylinder fluid all good, no sign of leakage at calipers or cylinders, no lines leaking etc, just off the top of my head I am thinking master cylinder or booster.

We plan on leaving Monday morning, Sunday just wanted to take Bro to Amias Forks and easy trailing like that.

Robert still has to post his pics and I still got a lot more.

Hope you can make it !!!!

..Probably glazed the pads or boiled the brake fluid..:(

..But this will allow you to do video and pics on Black Bear of the drivers face at that special Pucker moment..:D

..And thanks for the great pics..I love Engineer pass in the rain..:biggthump

..Probably glazed the pads or boiled the brake fluid..:(

..But this will allow you to do video and pics on Black Bear of the drivers face at that special Pucker moment..:D

..And thanks for the great pics..I love Engineer pass in the rain..:biggthump

Thanks Ted!

More pics to come but photobucket is being a complete pain in the bottom.

Robert got his Black Bear badge today. We went with the two new friends we meet a couple days ago on Yankeeboy.

Of course, it started to rain right when we started the steps, but didn't last long and everything was cool.

Who needs brakes? :D

LOL Jon, I would like to make my mark in the world, but not as spot at the bottom of a ravine or on the side of a mountian!!!!

A few pics from Robert's Black Bear cherry poppin'.

IMG_3729_zps47905deb.jpg

IMG_3725_zps9ec04a33.jpg

These are the fine fellow Texas folks we meet on Yankeeboy and we ran Black Bear together.

IMG_3723_zps103d4113.jpg

And of course, there is always some a$$hole trying to come up the steps. He wanted just to wait there and let eveyone come around him, but we were having nothing doing with that.

IMG_3727_zps65008f1e.jpg

Have a lot more pics, will post more when we get home, headed out tomorrow am.

..I could be wrong but I actually think Jon was referring to when his trans was pushing thru his brakes on Black Bear at the worst of spots and perhaps also later before he traveled home, we went and picked up some missing caliper bolts he left somewhere...:eek:

..So was it as thrilling as ever for the first timer?

Robert and I are in some picnic area in some place called Sudan, Tx for the night, will be headed the rest of the way in tomorrow.

Got to visit with Scott and Brian, but did not get to wheel with them. :(

We made it home early this afternoon, so I can try and add afew pics.

..So was it as thrilling as ever for the first timer?[/QUOTE]

Thrilling hell it was great. ( after a few pucker points :eek: ) I cant wait until I can get another chance to get out there again.

The top of Corkscrew
Ouary8-13015.jpg

Mike as we started down Corksrew
Ouary8-13016.jpg

Me at the winch point on Poughkeepise,
Ouary8-13012-1.jpg

..Glad to hear you had a great time and made it home safely..:biggthump

breath taking scenery
wow

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Great pics! Sure brings back some fond memories.:chug:

Back