2003 Kenne Bell 2.2 Explorer at the track!!! | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 Kenne Bell 2.2 Explorer at the track!!!

Well I finally took the Exploder to the track tonight. With the help of Jim who was the cameraman we were able to make some pretty nice videos.

Tonight I really got a true understanding of how badly I need DR's or slicks. Even after I lowered the psi in my heavy-azz 20" street radials I still had to really feather the throttle out of the hole. For the first 15' I could only go about 1/4 throttle and then after the 30' mark I could start easing into full throttle. Even then it still hopped and skipped around.

I paid some ricer dude $5 so I could line up against a LS2 GTO. I MURDERED him. The guy was a crappy driver, but it was fun anyways. I also ran an Evo which got me in ET but I beat him to the finish line due to my much better RT.

Well enough of me blabbing, here are the videos.

KBX 13.7 ET

KBX vs LS2 GTO

KBX vs EVO

With traction the truck easily has a 13.4 in it. Just got to hook the power to the pavement. ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

CDW6212R said:
I'm wanting a 98 Mark VIII with the 03+ Cobra engine. Keep us drooling Robert, good inspiration for us. Regards,

Speaking of projects, when you going to be able to start yours? I been planning to keep a keen eye to see what your updates are. What about your brakes project? Did you finaly get that ironed out yet? Some good stuff on both accounts!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

The brakes are on, and some pictures are on my thread on *********. I've spent some quality time with my work vehicle, having a real body man to help. Most of the painting was done today, one more day with his help should get the body work taken care of. Regards,

Attachments

• Brakeproject012.JPG
    Brakeproject012.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 354
  • Brakeproject014.JPG
    Brakeproject014.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 356

I'm looking at a Wilwood set for my Lightning. Those look damn good. What were they originally made for, or was it a custom kit? Price or how much have you spent?

There are kits available for Lightnings. These are custom, for only the 95-01 AWD/4WD Explorers. The calipers are right from a 65-82 Corvette, and the rotors had to be the two piece type, to get the proper offset. I've got a bunch of hours in these, and over $1200. Regards,

BeauJ said:
I'm looking at a Wilwood set for my Lightning. Those look damn good. What were they originally made for, or was it a custom kit? Price or how much have you spent?

BEAU!!! When the hell are you getting your hairdryer??? :p

well i have the 03 cobra motor with kenne bell and i had it setup to go in to my mark 8 but i have 2 race cars and did not want another one... a 10 sec 4 gen explorer would be cool. rocket how come you did not go with 4v heads much better for power.....

good luck with level 10 i dont think your tranny with hold what your trying to do nore can you make that power with a auto and 2v. my buddy rick i help him with a billit 2v full on max out setup with kenne bell and it made 600 to 650 with stick shift and solid axle. the 5r and irs will suck the power from you. he was running like 17 to 20 pounds. not saying it cant be done but i dont think it will be easy. i figure to make 640 at the wheels you need 800 or so at the fly. you might as well just change the harness and go with a lentech and normal eec v at that point.

So, sounds like you have an extra Cobra engine on your hands - let me know what you want for it! I have been kicking around the idea of getting a late mounty for a cobra swap... Boy and it already has the KB - bonus!

As for the 5R holding up, I have to agree. Make sure Lentech knows what you are putting this into. Keep in mind, the Torque rating is generally based on a vehicle weight as well. Hooking 600rw to a 4500lb vehicle is alot to ask from an A4LD trans derivative!

blk mk8 said:
well i have the 03 cobra motor with kenne bell and i had it setup to go in to my mark 8 but i have 2 race cars and did not want another one... a 10 sec 4 gen explorer would be cool. rocket how come you did not go with 4v heads much better for power.....

good luck with level 10 i dont think your tranny with hold what your trying to do nore can you make that power with a auto and 2v. my buddy rick i help him with a billit 2v full on max out setup with kenne bell and it made 600 to 650 with stick shift and solid axle. the 5r and irs will suck the power from you. he was running like 17 to 20 pounds. not saying it cant be done but i dont think it will be easy. i figure to make 640 at the wheels you need 800 or so at the fly. you might as well just change the harness and go with a lentech and normal eec v at that point.

Dan no disrespect, but the tranny will hold it once built and the 2V engine with the Kenne Bell 2.2 on it will make 600+ to the rears, even through an auto tranny. It will not be easy, but that is EXACTLY why I am doing it! I don't like an easy accomplishment. I want a challenge, and I am up for this one.

I decided to stay with the 2V heads because I knew I could make my power goals with these instead of swapping to much more expensive 4V heads.

I plan to run between 19-20 psi boost, and with the heads worked, and new VT stage 2 blower cams with new springs in there it will put 600+ to the ground no problem.

There is no reason to change the harness to run the Lentech 4R70W. I can run the 4R70W standalone if I want with a TCI tranny controller (or other brand) and eliminate the tranny map in the PTEC PCM instead of swapping to EEC-V. I thought about doing this a long time ago, but now that Level 10 has been offering their 700+rwhp/rwtq tranny rebuild for the 5R55W, S, N transmissions I will go with that and see what happens. Swapping to EEC-V would be a PITA and a step in the wrong direction for me now. I tune my truck with the SCT Advantage software and would have to get a whole new tuning setup to tune the EEC V if I swapped to that, let alone that there is no real benefit to that for me anyways.

I have been planning this project for 3 years now. There isn't a single thing that I haven't thought about or addressed already for it. :D I appreciate your concern Dan, but it is not neccessary at this point. :thumbsup:

tmsoko said:
As for the 5R holding up, I have to agree. Make sure Lentech knows what you are putting this into. Keep in mind, the Torque rating is generally based on a vehicle weight as well. Hooking 600rw to a 4500lb vehicle is alot to ask from an A4LD trans derivative!

It is Level 10, not Lentech that rebuilds these. Art Carr is R&D'ing their version right now as we speak too. They know what this is going into because the 5R55W tranny only came in one vehicle to my knowledge, which is the new gen Explorers. Of course they have their derivatives like the S and N models too, which for most intents and purposes are the same. Tmsoko, don't worry about my approach to this project. Like I said in my reply to Dans post, this is not my first rodeo and I know a heck of a lot more about this type of project than probably anyone else in the country. If I got this far with being so meticulous with the other fabbing, installation, and all that do you really think I would slack off and put weak components behind my engine? Give me more credit than that. Come on guys stop being such doubters when you know so little of this project, or its designer!

Not doubting you one bit, I would just hat to see you put $3000 into a trans and have problems with it!

tmsoko said:
Not doubting you one bit, I would just hat to see you put $3000 into a trans and have problems with it!

Oh, I hear ya. My problem is that if I did swap the transmission to a 4R70W or a C-4 then that is one less thing keeping me from making this into a more or less full blown race vehicle, instead of a badass streetable truck. After that I will be more inclined to keep going the way of the 4 link solid rear. And then after that comes the cage. hehe. I am trying to limit that so I don't get more tempted to just go all out. Call it, my round-about way of self control. ;)

I am pulling for all of you/us. I would love to work in a 98 LSC with a DOHC/5R55W as a highway cruiser project. I hope the five speed can take it, I liked dealing with Pat Barrett when Level 10 was new, it's bigger now and that's not all good. Regards,

Keep charging Rocket. We will continue to suprise and break new grounds. Who would have ever thought these stock drive trains and stock transfer cases could hold 400+rwhp, and I drive mine everyday stomping it. Someone had to be the first man on the moon.... race ya to Mars ;)

looks like you guys have a hand full with your trucks, mine its on the beginig stages still so far ive only have put the cam, intake and the cat back and the stall 2400, shift kit and for ***** 150 shot no times yet put getting there soon my plans are to put a turbo put im still wating for so parts still.

kaylene said:
looks like you guys have a hand full with your trucks, mine its on the beginig stages still so far ive only have put the cam, intake and the cat back and the stall 2400, shift kit and for ***** 150 shot no times yet put getting there soon my plans are to put a turbo put im still wating for so parts still.

You know, your not too far away from me. We should meet up at the track sometime.

u can meet me at work, im in glendaleheights off 355 going to army trail road ,thats not that far from round lake. i own a trans shop the # 630 307 9798 ask for leo jr or we can meet at byron race track maybe this sunday ,if the wife gives me the okay

kaylene said:
u can meet me at work, im in glendaleheights off 355 going to army trail road ,thats not that far from round lake. i own a trans shop the # 630 307 9798 ask for leo jr or we can meet at byron race track maybe this sunday ,if the wife gives me the okay

I wish I could meet you this Sunday at the track but I got to teach this weekend and all of next week too. After that I should be off for a little while though. I plan to go racing, not this coming workweek, but the next one after that sometime. Probably on a Wednesday or so depending on what one of my buddy's work schedule is like that week.

You own a trans shop near me eh? I dont suppose I could borrow a 4R70W trans case and bellhousing from you to take a few measurements for about 1 day could I? I am still debating whether or not I will swap to a standalone 4R70W tranny in my Explorer or get the 5R55W rebuilt that is in it. I could give you temporary collateral if you require it. I would like to have the option to be able to fit the 4R70W tranny under the X because they have a much much bigger aftermarket available for them then the 5R55 series do right now.

BTW, your work and home are both about an hour away from me. It takes me about 45 minutes to get to Elgin from my place.

I wanna know how the 4R70 will fit up also. You can make that thing hold up a beast amount of power. Much like you're going to have :D

BeauJ said:
I wanna know how the 4R70 will fit up also. You can make that thing hold up a beast amount of power. Much like you're going to have :D

Thankfully it will fit to the 4.6 engine no prob. I just want to see what kind of room it will have on the K member and the trans tunnel under the truck.

How much is a built 5r55 compared to getting a 4R70 and putting a shift kit in and a nice T/C? That 4R70 would handle the 600 with no problem in my opinion. I've seen a 800 RWHP 03 Cobra that converted to a 4R70 and he had nothing but a Baumann shift kit.

Back