2003 Kenne Bell 2.2 Explorer at the track!!! | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 Kenne Bell 2.2 Explorer at the track!!!

Well I finally took the Exploder to the track tonight. With the help of Jim who was the cameraman we were able to make some pretty nice videos.

Tonight I really got a true understanding of how badly I need DR's or slicks. Even after I lowered the psi in my heavy-azz 20" street radials I still had to really feather the throttle out of the hole. For the first 15' I could only go about 1/4 throttle and then after the 30' mark I could start easing into full throttle. Even then it still hopped and skipped around.

I paid some ricer dude $5 so I could line up against a LS2 GTO. I MURDERED him. The guy was a crappy driver, but it was fun anyways. I also ran an Evo which got me in ET but I beat him to the finish line due to my much better RT.

Well enough of me blabbing, here are the videos.

KBX 13.7 ET

KBX vs LS2 GTO

KBX vs EVO

With traction the truck easily has a 13.4 in it. Just got to hook the power to the pavement. ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

BeauJ said:
How much is a built 5r55 compared to getting a 4R70 and putting a shift kit in and a nice T/C? That 4R70 would handle the 600 with no problem in my opinion. I've seen a 800 RWHP 03 Cobra that converted to a 4R70 and he had nothing but a Baumann shift kit.

Lets just say that the 4R70W even with the $500 standalone computer w/tranny harness is still a decent amount cheaper than the built 5R55W tranny is. Built 4R's arent very cheap either but they hold gobs (1000+) of power!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

You used to say in Mississippi didn't you? Or was it Missouri? Anyways, there's a guy in MS that runs a shop called BTS (Brian's Truck Shop) transmissions. The guy is a genius. He won't make the tranny to ship either. You have to drive to his shop, tell him EXACTLY what you want and what it will be handling, and he builds it then. There's a few L guys who have taken their trucks there and stayed a few days to get their tranny. He stands up by his work with a 3 year warranty and even dared Johnny Lightning ('01 Lightning now with a TT setup and est. 1400 hp) to break the tranny. At only $3800 installed, it's worth the extra couple hundred bucks over the Lentech or Level 10. It will be one of the last mods I do, but I will be driving there to get one.

BeauJ said:
You used to say in Mississippi didn't you? Or was it Missouri? Anyways, there's a guy in MS that runs a shop called BTS (Brian's Truck Shop) transmissions. The guy is a genius. He won't make the tranny to ship either. You have to drive to his shop, tell him EXACTLY what you want and what it will be handling, and he builds it then. There's a few L guys who have taken their trucks there and stayed a few days to get their tranny. He stands up by his work with a 3 year warranty and even dared Johnny Lightning ('01 Lightning now with a TT setup and est. 1400 hp) to break the tranny. At only $3800 installed, it's worth the extra couple hundred bucks over the Lentech or Level 10. It will be one of the last mods I do, but I will be driving there to get one.

Yeah I was stationed down on the coast of Mississippi a few years back.

$3800!!! That better be coming with a TC!!!

To heck with the installation being included, thats the only way how I usually make out on these deals is to do a majority of the work myself. ;) Well, as much as my equipment will let me do anyways.

Oh yes, it comes with a $1000 P.I. torque converter. I've NEVER heard of anyone able to hurt one though. He installs it himself or you don't get the 3 year warranty, plain and simple. I'd gladly trust the guy. I get a migrane after pulling the valve body off and looking inside the tranny

BeauJ said:
I get a migrane after pulling the valve body off and looking inside the tranny

But thats the FUN part. One time while installing a shift kit into my buddys tranny I just sat and looked at what all the channels and holes did in the VB. It was fun to sit there half drunk figuring out how a VB works. :D I installed the kit to stage 5 instead of 4 like he asked (I had a few too many), but he liked it in the end.

I put in a FTVB (factory tech valve body) in mine, and it chirps in 3rd. If I floor it in it will lay about 20' ft of rubber going to second ;) . Along with my Xcal2 making shifts 10% firmer, you'll be sure to hear it just rolling traffic :D

give me a call and we could set up sothing or stop by im not that far from were you are i think !

The problem with our trucks is the weight of the truck. The 5r55w is not set up to handle the power, torque or weight of our truck. The technology is not there yet to make it hold over 400hp. I recomend a built tranny by Lentech. They are the best in the biz by far. I broke two level 10 trannys that had been all out race prepped. They never shifted right. If you get a 4R7W I recomend you never race in 4 gear. It is not a racing gear and can not hold the torque. I love my AOD. It has only had one problem and that was my fault for beating on 4 gear until I got my new builit shaft from lentch. I have talked to alot of tranny companies they all agree AOD and 4R7W are the way to go if you want it to hold alot of power. Get the SFI aproved bellhouseing for the AOD to bolt up to the 4.6 and be done with your worries. The AOD does not need a computor just a tv cable. Turn off the trans functions in the sct tunning software and you have a trans that can hold a ton of power. I can testify to that. Just my two cents.

I've heard about a 50/50 mix of good and bad comments about Level 10.

Troll said:
Turn off the trans functions in the sct tunning software and you have a trans that can hold a ton of power.

Any more details on this....?

I like the AOD also, that's where I learned my tranny stuff. The shift points I hope are more predictable with the 4R70W. The AOD isn't really well designed to achieve a specific shift point. Plus the shift points will be different for each gear. That adjustment is internal, in either the valve body, or the governor at the back.

I loved my stock AOD with TransGo kit in my first Lincoln LSC. If possible, I will stick with the 4R70W for applications where there is a PCM to control it. I've got some learning still to do with the 4R70W. I have a 99 AWD model to build now. I still need a couple of stronger shafts, VB solenoids, and a rebuild kit.

Any thoughts here about clutch and band materials, or other little improvements? I have browsed some, but I need to still read through the sites which have much written about the 4R70W. I hope that Ford builds a better 5+ speed, or someone finds hidden potential in the 5R's. Regards,

Troll said:
The problem with our trucks is the weight of the truck. The 5r55w is not set up to handle the power, torque or weight of our truck. The technology is not there yet to make it hold over 400hp.

Um Bill the 5R55W's have held 700/700 already. Heck, mine is hoolding 450/450 and also held 500/500 too without problems. Of course in stock form if left unmodded, the tranny would go south once it was beat on too much. That is the point of the build.

I recomend a built tranny by Lentech. They are the best in the biz by far. I broke two level 10 trannys that had been all out race prepped. They never shifted right. If you get a 4R7W I recomend you never race in 4 gear. It is not a racing gear and can not hold the torque.

Yeah, the reason the 4th gear isnt a racing gear is because that is when the 4R70W tranny switches from non-syn to synchronous shifting. That can cause a delay which will let rpm flare and then kill the tranny from it doing something almost similar to a neutral drop, but at speed.

I love my AOD. It has only had one problem and that was my fault for beating on 4 gear until I got my new builit shaft from lentch. I have talked to alot of tranny companies they all agree AOD and 4R7W are the way to go if you want it to hold alot of power. Get the SFI aproved bellhouseing for the AOD to bolt up to the 4.6 and be done with your worries. The AOD does not need a computor just a tv cable. Turn off the trans functions in the sct tunning software and you have a trans that can hold a ton of power. I can testify to that. Just my two cents.

The 4R70W and AOD do hold a lot of power but like I said, if I go down that route I might as well install a cage and get really serious with this thing. I dont want to do that. I want to keep it as a serious street vehicle that sees weekend track duty as well. Being that the 5R55W tranny can and already has been built to hold very respectable power levels I still plan to go with that for now. Bottom line is that I know fully well how strong the AOD and 4R70W trannies are, I just choose not to opt for those to use in this vehicle unless I run into a screaming deal on one that I cannot pass up.

BeauJ said:
Any more details on this....?

What he is referring to is because the AOD is a mechanically shifted tranny and not an electronically operated one, you would not need the tranny maps in the PTEC PCM left in there still. Even if the swap was made to a 4R70W (electronically controlled) you still would have to run standalone being that the tranny would not be able to communicate to the PTEC PCM. In that case it would be best to use a manual VB or a standalone tranny controller like the ones from TCI, Baumann, or.......I forget, but there is another one in there too.

rocket 5979 said:
What he is referring to is because the AOD is a mechanically shifted tranny and not an electronically operated one, you would not need the tranny maps in the PTEC PCM left in there still. Even if the swap was made to a 4R70W (electronically controlled) you still would have to run standalone being that the tranny would not be able to communicate to the PTEC PCM. In that case it would be best to use a manual VB or a standalone tranny controller like the ones from TCI, Baumann, or.......I forget, but there is another one in there too.

Ahh, I knew that, I just wanted some clarification. There's a few L guys wanting to go to C4 or C6 for some testing and for the manual VB also.

5R55W will never hold the power you want with the weight of the truck. over the last weekend my buddy came by the shop. he has the fastest 05 mustang with a 5R55W and procharger in the country. he has been through 3 trannies and sponsored by every one but no tranny shops have offered a performance build yet. even level ten told him if they build one for him it would just be a stock with with stock clutches as they have no parts for them yet. no one has any thing yet. just figure how much less his car weight then your truck now figure he has the stock motor and is only going 10's what do you think a truck 1500 more is going to do with more torque with more cubes and bad areo dynamics. i have spare 4r70 if you want i can send you want for fitment but for even simpler job just get a lentech like i did with a sfi bell.. no matter what you will have to spend a pretty coin on a good tranny no matter where you go. the only way you can cheap out is if you rebuild it your self every couple of months like my buddy is. also you dont need a cage to go fast just the right parts. yes what you want to do can be done but it will really hard. i have the experience of building similar combo to what you want and i have done a lot more crazy stuff. my brother and i comments are bassed of experiace of owning lots of fast cars and truck and building other vehicals for our friends.

Hey blk... My name is Alex and nice to meet you. Your brother Troll as he did to many inspired me to do some major mods on my X. Props to both of you.

I also have quite a project on my plate. Modular Performance build me a 304 with all the goodies. I'm working on my drivetrain now then im dumping a AED Lysholm 2.3L twin screw, I have a little m90 now.

I'm installing my snow meth/water spray and granatelli coil over packs this weekend and hopefully by next week I should be seeing around 450-470rwhp.

I to am going with Level 10, I have been in contact with them many times including today. They do have parts and are building beefed up 5r55's. They change clutches, steels, servos, servo covers, solenoids etc etc....

I have a little more in the mix with a part-time 4x4. Looks like I might be changing out my transfer case for a full-time AWD unit and level 10 themselves can also bullet proof the OEM cases....

I think an advantage with our X's over the Mustangs is that we don't dump the clutch at 6k. With my current 430rwhp or so I have been beating on it, and my entire stock drivetrain tranfercase and all has been holding up. I know im on borrowed time for now. I also have a FULL weight X with heavy stereo stuff and heavy 295/20's on the corners. Of course ill take the boom box out and the 20's at the strip.

In the end I hope I didn't make the wrong choice, but from my conversations with Level 10 I trust them and believe what they are saying. I'm convinced.

But yes I hear your concern, but only time will tell how these bad boys turn out.

Hopefully other companies like Level 10 will step up to the plate and make a bad tranny good. These 5r55's are basically built disposable and built to wear out instead of break. But its all about upgrading the key pieces. Fords original designs for the Modular motors was a disposable motor.... until the after market came in...

As for the stand alone, I still think you could get a 2004+ F150 computer to control the 4.6L with the 4R70W. A re-tune with the SCT software and you are good to go. As for fit, depends on how tight the 5R is in the explorer. I had the 5R in my Ranger initially and swapped over to the 4R. The 4R is larger, but it does fit real nicely in the ranger chassis/body.

Now, as for this transfer case, which full time case are you converting to? I am still planning to run the 4406 96-01 explorer case in my Ranger once I have the blown/intercooled 351W running. I think the next weakest link is the front end, but have been setting some coin aside for an Atlas if it comes to that. Let me know what you are running, I would be curious to see. I am expecting 550+ RWLB-FT

I have always been a auto guy. my buddy with the auto mustang is not dumping his clutch as he has the same tranny as you .. when he called they told him last week they had nothing yet. i am not shure who they are lying to. level 10 is known for being morons that sell stock parts with just valve body upgrades to people. i also i know a lot of tranny companies and also companies that make tranny parts and level 10 does not make half the stuff they say they do. the only guys running there stuff that has ever been happy with them are guys who just use there valve body only. the last guy i warned about there trannies said the same thing you said on another board... you know where he is at right now, he is getting a tranny built by some one else. it held for 6 month then he blew 3 in a row. fyi my friend with the auto mustang he is sponsored by (procharger, diablo and a few others) all the major mod motor parts companies dont know why the tranny companies would lye about building a build tranny for the fastest stock auto in the country.
like i said it i am shure can but done but i have no faith in those guys to build a tranny for a stock honda let alone the monster rocket is going to build. it has never been argument of power a 2v can make.. just a drive line issue... take my word for it when you order the tranny get them to signe a doc from you attorny about the warrenty and know they are not going to eat the labor of it coming in and out of your truck a couple times or for shipping.

Well with some technical help from CDW6212R im almost convinced I will switch over to the full-time AWD part number BW4410. I had planned origianlly for a Atlas II. But since level 10 can beef up the OEMs ill be MUCH happier with a tru-awd of part-time 4x4.

I will then upgrade my axles and half shafts. Maybe some level 5's out rear and something similar out front. Ill just send them my half shafts and have them duplicate them with the good stuff ;)

Once I upgrade to the twin screw im shooting for 600+ rwhp

Excellent. Thats Freakin awesome....Reminds me of the old RX-7 I had. Freakin awesome though the boys down here in MD would love it.

blk mk8 said:
I have always been a auto guy. my buddy with the auto mustang is not dumping his clutch as he has the same tranny as you .. when he called they told him last week they had nothing yet. i am not shure who they are lying to. level 10 is known for being morons that sell stock parts with just valve body upgrades to people. i also i know a lot of tranny companies and also companies that make tranny parts and level 10 does not make half the stuff they say they do. the only guys running there stuff that has ever been happy with them are guys who just use there valve body only. the last guy i warned about there trannies said the same thing you said on another board... you know where he is at right now, he is getting a tranny built by some one else. it held for 6 month then he blew 3 in a row. fyi my friend with the auto mustang he is sponsored by (procharger, diablo and a few others) all the major mod motor parts companies dont know why the tranny companies would lye about building a build tranny for the fastest stock auto in the country.
like i said it i am shure can but done but i have no faith in those guys to build a tranny for a stock honda let alone the monster rocket is going to build. it has never been argument of power a 2v can make.. just a drive line issue... take my word for it when you order the tranny get them to signe a doc from you attorny about the warrenty and know they are not going to eat the labor of it coming in and out of your truck a couple times or for shipping.

I know you talk from experience and nothing is set in stone until its paid for and installed. These boards are good for learning and hearing peoples experience to help one make the best possible choice. All this that's coming to light one must consider and make the most educated decision. As for level 10 I spoke to them 30 minutes ago and I cant imagine someone bluntly lying, but anything is possible right.

I'm still in development stage and will take this under consideration.

EDIT
It would be nice if someone else with more tranny expertise then myself could call Sam at Level 10 (973) 827 1000 and ask thim about the upgrade for the 5r55.

Rocket you spoke to him. Do you think this guys really just blowing smoke?

Back