2003 Kenne Bell 2.2 Explorer at the track!!! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 Kenne Bell 2.2 Explorer at the track!!!

Well I finally took the Exploder to the track tonight. With the help of Jim who was the cameraman we were able to make some pretty nice videos.

Tonight I really got a true understanding of how badly I need DR's or slicks. Even after I lowered the psi in my heavy-azz 20" street radials I still had to really feather the throttle out of the hole. For the first 15' I could only go about 1/4 throttle and then after the 30' mark I could start easing into full throttle. Even then it still hopped and skipped around.

I paid some ricer dude $5 so I could line up against a LS2 GTO. I MURDERED him. The guy was a crappy driver, but it was fun anyways. I also ran an Evo which got me in ET but I beat him to the finish line due to my much better RT.

Well enough of me blabbing, here are the videos.

KBX 13.7 ET

KBX vs LS2 GTO

KBX vs EVO

With traction the truck easily has a 13.4 in it. Just got to hook the power to the pavement. ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could you post some timeslips? Would be nice to see your 1/8th times and where the trucks powerband is at. According to my calculations the 13.70 should be around 8.90's in the 1/8th. I was curious. Excellent work!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

jah81592 said:
Could you post some timeslips? Would be nice to see your 1/8th times and where the trucks powerband is at. According to my calculations the 13.70 should be around 8.90's in the 1/8th. I was curious. Excellent work!

I wish I could scan one of my timeslips, but I don't have the capability to. I can post all the times on my best soo far though.

R/T.........0.322
60'..........2.027
1/8.........8.787
MPH........80.28
1/4.........13.729
MPH........97.99

I see your 8.5 1/8 mile times and with that MPH I would not be surprised if you were able to touch 12's in the 1/4.

cool videos. Very nice truck - I like your wheels a lot :thumbsup:

ExplorerDMB said:
cool videos. Very nice truck - I like your wheels a lot :thumbsup:

Tank you. tank you very much.

I wish my buddy could have got the announcer guys' "sherman tank" comment about KBX on video. It was priceless! :D

rocket 5979 said:
I wish I could scan one of my timeslips, but I don't have the capability to. I can post all the times on my best soo far though.

R/T.........0.322
60'..........2.027
1/8.........8.787
MPH........80.28
1/4.........13.729
MPH........97.99

I see your 8.5 1/8 mile times and with that MPH I would not be surprised if you were able to touch 12's in the 1/4.

:thumbsup: Congrats,I wish you lived near me, we could have some fun at the track.... Excellent work and will be following yours closely... I say low 13's for me conservatively so,if I don't do it I won't be dissappointed..-J

Sick. That is one sexy explorer.

FROADER said:
SICK! I don't know though, it still sounds slow to me man... ;)

Thats because ya cannot hear the Kenne Bell scream yet. :D

Kinda funny because it still seems slow to me too. I think I would be more satisfied with what I have right now if I didn't have such big plans for it in the future.

FROADER said:
What psi were the rear tires at?

25 psi. I usually keep them at 35 psi.

My s/c scream drowned out my exhaust until I put the high flows on, hehe

BeauJ said:
My s/c scream drowned out my exhaust until I put the high flows on, hehe

Yeah, at 9 psi the Roots will be louder than the Kenne Bells. As we get higher in boost then our signature scream comes through louder. I was really surprised the KB sound wasn't audible in the video because I sure as hell hear it in the cab of the truck! Of course still having my cats doesn't help with the sound either. Once I get the headers I will have the cats eliminated though, so all will be well.

New best times at the track!!!...4/21/06...

I decided to take the Kenne Bell Explorer back out to the track today. I got three new personal bests this time around. Better ET, better 60' and better MPH.

Here are my best ET and 60' timeslip numbers:

R/T.......0.220
60'........1.961
1/8.......8.722
MPH.....80.87
1/4.......13.639
MPH......98.93

As you can see I stuck the launch pretty decently this time, but I still could only launch at 1/2 throttle because I was spinning bad otherwise. The rest of my times went up in smoke due to waaaay too much wheelspin! On one of those wheelspin runs is when I broke 100 MPH for my trap speed though. It feels good to hit triple digit MPH and sub 2 second 60' in the Explorer. It still has another .2 seconds in her once I can hook at full throttle.

Sorry no new vids on this one. I forgot the cam.

Getting good man. Can't wait to see you hit a 12.67 like me, then I'll get worried :D

My truck stock at 9 psi, wasn't loud at all. I could actually hear the stock exhaust over it. I put the CAI and Bassani exhaust on the same day. The roots screamed, but I could still hear this exhaust. Now, according to my Autometer, I'm hitting 13-14 psi, and it screams soo LOUD people will break their necks to see what the hell it coming. A guy at work told me my truck was making a funny noise, and that I should get it checked out. All I could do was laugh..

BeauJ said:
Getting good man. Can't wait to see you hit a 12.67 like me, then I'll get worried :D

My truck stock at 9 psi, wasn't loud at all. I could actually hear the stock exhaust over it. I put the CAI and Bassani exhaust on the same day. The roots screamed, but I could still hear this exhaust. Now, according to my Autometer, I'm hitting 13-14 psi, and it screams soo LOUD people will break their necks to see what the hell it coming. A guy at work told me my truck was making a funny noise, and that I should get it checked out. All I could do was laugh..

12.67? Hopefully I will have that and about another second off my ET here in the next few months if things go as planned (crossing fingers). I figure I skipped a few seconds with the Kenne Bell, I might as well skip 12's with the race engine and tranny (and suspension work) and move right to 11's. :D I am really tempted on occasion to run a set of slicks in the rear and run my aggressive 400rwhp tune instead of the 360/360 tune. I know that with that little bit of a change, I would hit 12's no problem. Too bad I actually care about whether or not I grenade my tranny. ;)

BeauJ said:
A guy at work told me my truck was making a funny noise, and that I should get it checked out. All I could do was laugh..

Heheheheheheheh. I love it! I plan to tell people that a freind of a freind told me it was my power steering pump going. And then after I play dumb for a little while I will ask them what they think it is (let them think I am really dumb and know nothing of cars). Hopefully I will be able to keep a straight face throughout the dialog. Then I will pop the hood and ask them what the black box thingy is. :D

Hey Rocket,
you're getting too close for comfort in the 1/4. :)

My best to date with the stock tranny, around 9psi was as follows:

R/T .539 .500 is perfect
60' 2.108
330' 5.729
1/8mi 8.720
MPH 82.75
1000' 11.284
1/4mi 13.475
MPH 102.9

My truck is sleeping at Bill's getting another fuel pump added, larger fuel lines, and some other misc stuff done. 7 out of 8 of my headers flanges leaked at the heads due to the lame-ass adapter the headder builder used...Arrrrgggg!
Truck should be ready to go in about 2 more weeks.

Congrats on the latest run....Meet you in the 11's

BTW, Troll cooked his blower so we will never get to race a fair race....He's working on the turbo now...the it will be pointless without some serious car lengths...

X-Box said:
Hey Rocket,
you're getting too close for comfort in the 1/4. :)

My best to date with the stock tranny, around 9psi was as follows:

R/T .539 .500 is perfect
60' 2.108
330' 5.729
1/8mi 8.720
MPH 82.75
1000' 11.284
1/4mi 13.475
MPH 102.9

My truck is sleeping at Bill's getting another fuel pump added, larger fuel lines, and some other misc stuff done. 7 out of 8 of my headers flanges leaked at the heads due to the lame-ass adapter the headder builder used...Arrrrgggg!
Truck should be ready to go in about 2 more weeks.

Congrats on the latest run....Meet you in the 11's

BTW, Troll cooked his blower so we will never get to race a fair race....He's working on the turbo now...the it will be pointless without some serious car lengths...

Heheheh, nipping at your heels. ;) Well its good to hear that progress is still being made on your truck. It sure seems like both of our projects are finally coming to a head after years of planning, saving, and PITA rework. We should both be in the 11's by later this summer I would hope. You earlier than me, of course.

That is too bad that Bill's blower got cooked! Did an oil line get clogged or something? Damn! Now that the blower went bye bye there is no excuse for him to procrastinate from dropping the turbo in! hehehehe. Oh well, I can settle for not being first. lol. Of course I will hopefully be the fastest 3rd gen explorer! Of course I got some serious competition there too with awdrocks! Man this power race sure is getting interesting! :eek: Who would have thought three years ago, that this would be happening now!?!? :D

hey you better watch out i found a good deal on a 4.6 powered explorer and i am thinking about dropping my o3 cobra motor with kennebell in it along with my lenntech for fun.

blk mk8 said:
hey you better watch out i found a good deal on a 4.6 powered explorer and i am thinking about dropping my o3 cobra motor with kennebell in it along with my lenntech for fun.

Hey Dan good to hear from ya. I thought you dropped off the face of the planet for a while there! Its ok bro, I got my VT billet engine on the way. It will be here in less than 4 weeks. :thumbsup: I will have 600+rwhp with just the charger and then if I decide to run a small dry shot then I should be over 700 at the wheels. Level 10 will be receiving my 5R tranny for rebuild once I pull the stock engine. Then, of course, there are still a few other things (rear end!) that remain to be done, so I am not too worried about a Kenne Bell Cobra engine swapped Explorer beating me. :D

I'm wanting a 98 Mark VIII with the 03+ Cobra engine. Keep us drooling Robert, good inspiration for us. Regards,

Back