2003 Kenne Bell 2.2 Explorer at the track!!! | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 Kenne Bell 2.2 Explorer at the track!!!

Well I finally took the Exploder to the track tonight. With the help of Jim who was the cameraman we were able to make some pretty nice videos.

Tonight I really got a true understanding of how badly I need DR's or slicks. Even after I lowered the psi in my heavy-azz 20" street radials I still had to really feather the throttle out of the hole. For the first 15' I could only go about 1/4 throttle and then after the 30' mark I could start easing into full throttle. Even then it still hopped and skipped around.

I paid some ricer dude $5 so I could line up against a LS2 GTO. I MURDERED him. The guy was a crappy driver, but it was fun anyways. I also ran an Evo which got me in ET but I beat him to the finish line due to my much better RT.

Well enough of me blabbing, here are the videos.

KBX 13.7 ET

KBX vs LS2 GTO

KBX vs EVO

With traction the truck easily has a 13.4 in it. Just got to hook the power to the pavement. ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i think u guys have way to much time to be arguing about what level 10 those to their transmission, there good tansmissions its the guy behiend the wheel that gives some one a bad wrap, about what they do or did wrong. if they were so bad of a company how come they are still in around chose ask around, and for any bodys information they do make upgraded parts for the 5r55 shift kit and clutches give a call 630 3079798 ask for leo jr, rocket 5979 im at the shop from 9.00 to 7.30

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

blk mk8 said:
5R55W will never hold the power you want with the weight of the truck. over the last weekend my buddy came by the shop. he has the fastest 05 mustang with a 5R55W and procharger in the country. he has been through 3 trannies and sponsored by every one but no tranny shops have offered a performance build yet. even level ten told him if they build one for him it would just be a stock with with stock clutches as they have no parts for them yet. no one has any thing yet. just figure how much less his car weight then your truck now figure he has the stock motor and is only going 10's what do you think a truck 1500 more is going to do with more torque with more cubes and bad areo dynamics. i have spare 4r70 if you want i can send you want for fitment but for even simpler job just get a lentech like i did with a sfi bell..

How long ago did your buddy talk to Level 10? Like I said, I am not exactly stock now and the tranny is holding ok. I do not expect it to hold very long, but it is still doing better than originally expected so far. Like I said, I prefer not to go down the 4R path unless I get my hands on a borrowed 4R within the next few weeks. Now the sooner I get my hands on a 4R for some fitments testing then the more of a possibility using one becomes. Ease of access is another factor entering this equation.

blk mk8 said:
also you dont need a cage to go fast just the right parts. yes what you want to do can be done but it will really hard. i have the experience of building similar combo to what you want and i have done a lot more crazy stuff. my brother and i comments are bassed of experiace of owning lots of fast cars and truck and building other vehicals for our friends.

I know I dont NEED a cage, but I really don't like to get kicked off tracks often. If I get serious with this then I might as well shoot for 10's. Like I said a few times before, while it would be cool, it would negate my wanting to keep this a street vehicle. I just want to go mid 11's on motor and blower and I will be happy getting kicked out of Route 66, then just play around when going back up to GLD.

Dan, I know you mean well but you are coming off slightly pompous with some of the last part of your post. I am not exactly a newb when it comes to these things either, so don't start talking to me like one. I KNOW that the 4R70W will be stronger, but once again I will reiterate my preference in keeping this vehicle a street vehicle. If I go with the 4R70W standalone swap then I know I will want to go much bigger overall due to its ability to hold more power. Keeping with the 5R55W I know I will have a limit that I will already have set for me. That will let me indirectly control myself from going too crazy with this truck. Bottom line is that unless I get easy access to a 4R tranny I plan to go ahead with the 5R build to see what it can hold in this application. Just back off a little man. You have your ways to do things and I have mine.

awdrocks said:
Rocket you spoke to him. Do you think this guys really just blowing smoke?

Alex, it is a tough thing in the performance car world. There are A LLOOOOOOOOOTTTT of liars out there! hehe. I really do wish I just made a joke, but the sad thing is that it is true. I trust other peoples work/word about as far as I can throw it. And I don't think I can throw a tranny too far. ;) It really is a crapshoot right now. Level 10 did say they built tranny's for people holding 700/700 at the wheels, but when I asked them who their customers were, they replied they were mostly from overseas. hehe. Didn't make me feel too warm and fuzzy. Art Carr is also building a 5R55 tranny right now as we speak too. We will have to see how those results turn out.

Art Carr's guinea pig owners car is a 05 Mustang with a KB 2.4 on it. That will be a more realistic comparison test of the type of power I will be making and putting through the tranny.

If I were to get a sponsor (hint, hint to anyone out there :p ) for the tranny then that would definately help me decide more easily. Being that I do plan to go to the track quite often the truck will make its presence known. In fact, it already does that even now whenever I take it to the track.

Right now I am battling two demons resting on my shoulders. One is telling me to go the sensible way of the standalone 4R70W swap and the other is telling me to rebuild the 5R55W and stay around 750 at the crank. I know exactly where the 4R70W tranny swap would lead and it would not be a tame vehicle. If I swapped to the 4R then I might just swap the KB 2.2 for something a little more efficient and test the 1000+ rating of my upcoming shortblock. I don't really want to go that far.

kaylene said:
i think u guys have way to much time to be arguing about what level 10 those to their transmission, there good tansmissions its the guy behiend the wheel that gives some one a bad wrap, about what they do or did wrong. if they were so bad of a company how come they are still in around chose ask around, and for any bodys information they do make upgraded parts for the 5r55 shift kit and clutches give a call 630 3079798 ask for leo jr, rocket 5979 im at the shop from 9.00 to 7.30

Leo I might just have to give you a call tomorrow as long as I don't forget. I will be pretty occupied tomorrow, but I will try to give you a buzz and see whats happening.

rocket 5979 said:
Alex, it is a tough thing in the performance car world. There are A LLOOOOOOOOOTTTT of liars out there! hehe. I really do wish I just made a joke, but the sad thing is that it is true. I trust other peoples work/word about as far as I can throw it. And I don't think I can throw a tranny too far. ;) It really is a crapshoot right now. Level 10 did say they built tranny's for people holding 700/700 at the wheels, but when I asked them who their customers were, they replied they were mostly from overseas. hehe. Didn't make me feel too warm and fuzzy. Art Carr is also building a 5R55 tranny right now as we speak too. We will have to see how those results turn out.

Art Carr's guinea pig owners car is a 05 Mustang with a KB 2.4 on it. That will be a more realistic comparison test of the type of power I will be making and putting through the tranny.

If I were to get a sponsor (hint, hint to anyone out there :p ) for the tranny then that would definately help me decide more easily. Being that I do plan to go to the track quite often the truck will make its presence known. In fact, it already does that even now whenever I take it to the track.

Right now I am battling two demons resting on my shoulders. One is telling me to go the sensible way of the standalone 4R70W swap and the other is telling me to rebuild the 5R55W and stay around 750 at the crank. I know exactly where the 4R70W tranny swap would lead and it would not be a tame vehicle. If I swapped to the 4R then I might just swap the KB 2.2 for something a little more efficient and test the 1000+ rating of my upcoming shortblock. I don't really want to go that far.

Yeah I hear ya... im tossing ideas around also. I really just want a tranny that will last... last and last. I have done a few pulls at our local track with a 72 Chevy SS with a worked 454, legitimate 12.6 second car and I take him by about 1 car length, at my full weight. This BB MP motor is a pure monster. I get that car length on him from the hole shot and keep it there. My entire drivetrain is holding up just fine right now. Im just going to build a straight forward deep 11 second X before the nitrous that my wife can grochery shop in. Then im moving onto my Mustang project. I want a 5.4L big bore twin turbo.... Ive already talked to MP about that long block. Anyways thats another day another story.

I can possibly do the 4r70 due to its track record. I do like the idea of running a 4r70 thats way within its boundies, other than pushing the envelope on the 5r55.

awdrocks said:
Then im moving onto my Mustang project. I want a 5.4L big bore twin turbo.... Ive already talked to MP about that long block. Anyways thats another day another story.

Your just as crazy as I am, but apparently with more money! :D Your on your own for THAT one! My other project is a progressive 100 shot nitrous project for my LS. Just want to get it to kiss 12's on the bottle and I will be happy with it as a RSD moneymaker.

rocket 5979 said:
Your just as crazy as I am, but apparently with more money!

lol I dont think im as crazy as you... Mr. 1000hp X Well maybe I am :D I cant own anything without modifying it.... I soop up my CPU for crying out load. It had a custom built dual processor back in the daaaays... lol

BTW a 12sec LS would be sick.

awdrocks said:
BTW a 12sec LS would be sick.

Yeah, I figure I will be able to make more money with that one at the track than the Explorer. While the X may be a good sleeper, the LS is even better because no one knows anything about them and they are all luxo-looking and quiet. As of right now I have the fastest N/A stock engined LS in the country. I plan to make that overall fastest LS in the country here soon. It could be a matter of a week or two or even just days depending on the pending sales of certain things and then parts delivery times. We will see. :D After the LS and KBX are done I will take a break from my own cars for a while and really hit the fabrication and installation for other peoples cars heavy then.

Anyone have any 4.0L times? We do not have a track anywhere near hear. I am going to run some unofficial times on a flat highway stretch this weekend. I will post them.

P. doggy said:
Anyone have any 4.0L times? We do not have a track anywhere near hear. I am going to run some unofficial times on a flat highway stretch this weekend. I will post them.

P. Doggy, I don't mean to sound like a jerk but it will be best if you not post your question in here. It will be much better received if it is contained in its own thread, that way this thread will remain on topic.

**drooling** I'm actually takin my x to the track just to get an idea of where I'm at but i'm lookin for 18's MAYBE 17's. Your X is my new example

BeauJ said:
Robert, do you ever sleep??

Occassionally, if I am not obsessing over racing. ;)

This coming from the guy who replies back to my late evening post a few minutes later? heheheh :D

Back