2013 Utah Old West Trails Trip report | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 Utah Old West Trails Trip report

It did well with the No-Spin rear locker, stock 4.11's and 31's. It has bolt on over load springs in the rear. It did everything that Black Star (the Xterra Pro-4X) did and more than Liberty (Jeep Liberty) could. It had some front end noise. Not sure that is normal or if it has a problem. Kind of wanting to get with you Jon to go over that. And I really want to do the brown wire mod in case I have trouble with some of that way out in Utah. That stuff I will cover in the next few days write up.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Day 4: The plan was changed to stay at the base camp another night. We all went in to town to fuel up and went back down to Poison Spring Canyon. We continued on out over Sunset Pass near Gun Site Butte then south to Hite Crossing. This was a gorgeous drive. I did not take many pics as we were moving pretty fast to get back to camp that night and me and my camera would not do a lot to bring that back. The Dirty Devil was not deep and an easy crossing.

Some sections of the climb up Sunset were steep rocky switch backs that required 4 wheel drive. I started hearing a low pitch noise from the left front that would cycle. Wummm...........wummm..............wummm. It was more auditable in 4 low but as time went on could be heard in 4 high also. No noise in 4 Auto. At Hite Crossing I stopped at an outhouse and looked it over. The previous owner (Sunshine, Sundance's woman) had had new front shafts and cv's installed. They looked really good looking at them under the truck. I thought maybe a hub assy? I drove north to Hanksville and then on up to camp with no problems though. Maybe it's just normal noise like when the other trucks I have driven make T-case noise in 4 high and 4 low?

Attachments

• 100_0728.JPG
    100_0728.JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 152
  • 100_0730.JPG
    100_0730.JPG
    131.7 KB · Views: 147
  • Sunset Pass 5-21-13.jpg
    Sunset Pass 5-21-13.jpg
    265.1 KB · Views: 133

Day 5: This was a travel day. I was up early and packed up and gone afore folks poked there heads outa the sleepin bag. Sissy did fine on the 126 highway miles to Blanding. I took a shower. Did a lot of shopping. Filled up gas cans and put them on top of Sissy. Even had service on both of my telephones. Checked e-mails.

Meet up with others at the local restaurant. Outlaw was checking stuff on the net and found out that all the area west and north of Blanding was going under a new management plan to match Canyon Lands. No dogs, carrya porta potie, reserve camping sites, no parking on the road, no parking off the road, yada yada yada. I said maybe it's not in place yet. Outlaw checked and it was aproved 5 years ago. Sundance and I had stuff to do outside so we left to do that and then returned to was hands. While we were go Outlaw called and talked to the BLM office in Monticello. Seems they were not thrilled about the new plan either. Outlaw said he was told it was one thing to approve and pass a new plan. But a all together different one to put it in place and enforce it. So after the extended wait in town we were back to plan a for the day. On the way to Beef Basin we could see way off in the distance a little bump in the purple line. That was Sunset pass were we had been the day before. We found a hidden hunters camp just above Beef Basin in the trees and settled in for the night.

Attachments

• 100_0737.JPG
    100_0737.JPG
    103.6 KB · Views: 143
  • Beef Basin Camp 5-22-13.jpg
    Beef Basin Camp 5-22-13.jpg
    288.2 KB · Views: 146

Day 6: Been a bunch of year since Outlaw had explored in Beef Basin so off we went to see if the side trails still led to stuff. This time when I locked Sissy in to 4 lo I had folks listen for the noise. Outlaw said he heard a ticking noise from the left front but could not tell what part was making the noise. After the little step to the cabin and coral below we took a trail back to some ruins. That road had a lot of sand and more sections where I needed 4x4. The noise seemed to be getting louder. And I started running more in 4 auto and just using extra skinny pedal and spinning both rear tires a lot. the noise then was faint but present in 4 auto. It made it back out to camp but I was worried about a failure without the brown wire mod and possible damage to the t-case I had rebuilt this year.

At camp we broke out the shottin irons and shot the yellow boy rifle and conversion revolver.

Attachments

• 100_0752.JPG
    100_0752.JPG
    128.4 KB · Views: 163
  • 100_0751.JPG
    100_0751.JPG
    118 KB · Views: 143
  • 100_0748.JPG
    100_0748.JPG
    151.1 KB · Views: 146
  • 100_0745.JPG
    100_0745.JPG
    135.8 KB · Views: 165
  • 100_0743.JPG
    100_0743.JPG
    148.5 KB · Views: 155
  • Beef Basin 5-23-13.jpg
    Beef Basin 5-23-13.jpg
    284.6 KB · Views: 147

..Great pictures and stories to go with them..:biggthump

..Here's hoping you are all better and we all can look forward to more trip reports from you in the near future..:salute:

This is just the kind of trip I would like to go on. It's just that I have this fear over lack of ice, and a hot shower.
However, I found these new wipes--this changes things. :D

Looks like a heck of an adventure. I would have thought more people would respond--hmmm.

..I see Hokie lurking and I'm waiting for him to respond too..:popcorn:

This has been a great thread to follow. Wish there were more threads like this.

I typed out the finish and had a ps page in mind to go with it but guess I hit the wrong button. Been crazy since then. Put a job ap it sat. morning via web and they called for in interview sat. afternoon and hired me then not so much. ( I have custom made shoes that i have to wear and can't wear the one they wanted me too). Got a hold a my doc and took the letter in today about the shoes so maybe I'll get the job after all. Have a phone call in 1/2 hour about ways to get hired. Violunteer job is going well and I will be interviewed tomorrw for a spotlight section on volunteers and senior services. Mom came back from Italy. Flip4ford needed help with his stubler. Lawn need mowed. Truck and camping equipment needed cleaned and put up. Still have remodel work 1/4 finished I try to do now and then.

I'll retype the finish and the ps sometime this week. Just one more map to post.

Iff you have a good chest ice will last 2 days and thats when you need to find gas again anyway. So ice is not a problem. But that Utah dust gets into everything. And after a week or 10 days I need a day or 2 in a motel with a washer to chean everything up and re-pack and head out again. I've done that before. Run 2 trips back to back with a 2 day break in between.

Day 7: It was friday and I decided to head for town. Beef Basin was the same as I had remembered the last time I was there. Outlaw had a plenty of back up with Gadgit, Sundance, and Caveman. Folks had shot the shootin irons. And Sissy was complaining a bit louder. Not to mention folks calling dibs on my stuff and buzzards circling and Kill Bill babes, and....... Oh and it was Memorial Day weekend and if I had trouble I needed to get out early enough before everyone left town for the weekend. The plan for the main group was to leave the next day almost due east over the Causeway to Monticello, UT. I broke camp and headed that way when folks headed back into Beef Basin for another day. That sure was a pretty drive. I had wanted to do a loop close to that last fall but a leeking axle seal on Jr. took it's place. There were a ton of deer and one wanted to go back to KS with me. Lot's of locals out hunting bear with dogs. One dog was trying to get a ride with me. I thhe said to heck with the bears I wanta go to KS. Just west of the Causeway the back trail was awsome. Just east of the Causeway I had cell service and called and left a message for Outlaw to tell him to look out for deer and the great view of the back trail west of the Causeway. Next I started to see a bit of snow. First in the ditch along the side of the road, then little bits out in the road. Next I came upon a small drift with just 2 ATV tracks going through it. Now that was a bad sign. It ment that the road below was closed as no full size tracks were made in the drift that crossed the road. It was getting close to noon and it was hours back the way I came and hours back out south to Blanding. I could have gone back a short distance then south but no way to know if there was snow down that way or not. I had asked for and received a new shovel for Christmas so down through the drift I went. After a short distance I found another drift about the same size. Not much thought went into this one and on downI went. I was just a few miles out of Monticello and so close I could smell it when I came up on the big drift. The left side was the down hill side and had rocks and dead fall down off the road. It was wet and soft. The plan was to do through the middle. But the deeper snow on the right up hill side and maybe me shading it that way a bit pulled me hard to the right and held me to the uphill side and stuck me. Wooo hooo! I got to use my new shovel fer more en just diggin cat holes. I had dug fer bout 45 minutes and tried it again with no luck. I had been diggin again fer about 15 minuted when a feller on a ATV witha long shovel came up behind me. He dug out the back frome behind and the front from the front while i was underneath. Dang Sissy was dirty under there. I was wet, and muddy, and had over a dozen nicks on my hands and arms. I washed up in the snow a bit and was able to drive out. I had opened the road. I stoped and ate a late lunch then there were 2 more drifts. But they were the smallest of any of them. Down in to Monticello for the last available room on Memorial Day weekend. Sissy was doing fine. I called Outlaw and left a message about the snow. I cleaned up and treated the nicks on my hands and arms. Then I called Silverton. CO to check on Ophir and Engineer Passes. Ophir was open but Engineer Pass would not be open Memorial Day weekend. Cinnamon was open though. A third message was left for Outlaw and I settled in for a bit of R&R. My thinker worked fer a bit and I decided to make back up plans fer the next day. Plan was to wait for a late check out to see if Outlaw called and what his plan was. If no word had come I was headed for Durango. US 160 would have services if Sissy acted up onn the way home and I had reserved a $30 room in Walsenberg. Outlaw called and said Sundance and Caveman were through and headed for the barn. Outlaw was not going to do the snow canal he was going to go up to Webster/Redcone trail head and look for his neice.So I kept on for my second night in a roomin house.

Attachments

• Beef Basin 5-24-13.jpg
    Beef Basin 5-24-13.jpg
    302.7 KB · Views: 135

Back