2016 Platinum Late Production? | Page 14 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Platinum Late Production?

Long Wait

I just got a vin number for my 16 Platinum. Just checked with Ford on the build date through this site. I ordered it on April 15 and the build date is October 12 and then who knows how long to ship :(.
I hope Ford compensates the dealers for this wait. They gave me book value in April expecting 6 to 8 weeks for the new vehicle, not over 6 months.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

With mine on hold until "October or probably later" reconfirmed by my dealer, I went to see and drive one in person today. I am trying to determine if it is worth the wait. Two were available today in Chicagoland - one white one ruby red, both 2nd row bucket no console. The salesman knew nothing about hold or delay and has had his for a week or so. I was unimpressed with the interior. I was looking for what may be the flaw and may of found two. The worse was the 2nd seat electric fold system. When you push the button, it is like releasing a big spring. First the seat back folds fast then Bang! the whole thing flings forward and slams into the front seat. Make sure your arms or hands are out of the way and that you folded the headrest out of the way..........
The seats fold like that on my MKT as well. I have no issues with it at all. The folded seat does not hit the front seat and the headrest doesn't have to be folded either. The seat back will fold the same way (with a Bang) whether you use the power fold or manual fold.

Peter

That is good to know Peter. I think if I spent more time adjusting the drivers seat forward and/or easy exit it would of cleared the front seat and not had the motor run on a few seconds trying to achieve full fold. None of my complaints were show stoppers but enough to prevent buying the delivered model over waiting for my ordered color at my local dealer.

I just got a vin number for my 16 Platinum. Just checked with Ford on the build date through this site. I ordered it on April 15 and the build date is October 12 and then who knows how long to ship :(.
I hope Ford compensates the dealers for this wait. They gave me book value in April expecting 6 to 8 weeks for the new vehicle, not over 6 months.

Is there a method as to how production is prioritized? I ordered in July, got VIN in Aug and build is scheduled for September. You ordered in April, just got VIN with a build of October. One would think that it would be by order date with some alignment of color, options, etc to ensure high productivity.

Hello Ford Fam,

I understand that you all are excited about your orders, and how this can be frustrating. The wait is always the hardest part but I’ll be here to help you get through the process! The 2016 Order Guide has the Platinum Series under Late Availability, and will not be available until later in the model year. This of course is subject to change along with ETAs due to these dates being estimates. Also, the priority number/dealer allocation can also impact when a vehicle is pulled for production.

Don’t hesitate to reach out to me weekly for updates but inquiries about priority number/dealer allocation are best addressed by your dealers. I’ll be happy to take a peek at your order, just PM your order number/dealer code, or the VIN! :)

Tricia

Tricia,

With all due respect, and you have been very nice and very helpful, that response is the opposite of what I think those waiting want to hear. At least speaking for myself.

I think those of us that special ordered understood "late availability" but at least within the last month the dealers have been saying 8-10 weeks, maybe less. Then the Platinums started shipping. Orders were being processed, VINS being generated. Then something happened. Everything stopped. There was a problem encountered which seems to have set production/delivery back at least a month (?). While that might still fit neatly into the "Late Availability" (late 2015) timeframe, it is still a big hiccup for those waiting on an order.

I totally know it's not your fault and like I said, FordService is a welcomed and helpful presence here. I just personally think it would be nice for Ford to come out and say something. "We have been overwhelmed with orders and are running a month behind" or "We weren't happy with some (minor) item and so we slowed things down to make it perfect", etc, etc. A little goodwill goes a looong way.

Separately, I think that when someone special orders a vehicle it should be processed "outside of dealer allocation". How well a dealer sells or not or how large they are, should have nothing to do with someone special ordering a vehicle. I understand why the allocation process exists and it's important from both an inventory management prospective as well as a "dealer reward" perspective. I think though that special orders should be handled completely separately and priority should be based upon order date. That is the most fair to the customer. My opinion.

Tricia,

I think those of us that special ordered understood "late availability" but at least within the last month the dealers have been saying 8-10 weeks, maybe less. Then the Platinums started shipping. Orders were being processed, VINS being generated. Then something happened. Everything stopped. There was a problem encountered which seems to have set production/delivery back at least a month (?). While that might still fit neatly into the "Late Availability" (late 2015) timeframe, it is still a big hiccup for those waiting on an order.

I think though that special orders should be handled completely separately and priority should be based upon order date. That is the most fair to the customer. My opinion.

This is the part nobody is answering and getting customers upset. A few members here have their Platinum and some dealer have 1 or 2 on their lot, so they indeed started to ship and then appear to have stopped. I noticed on the Blue Oval forums that they are asking about this also.

Well said Patsy. Tricia, Ford is lacking with specifics. I'm not really sure that you won't just be reiterating the "We are working on an eta, but we don't have any further info". My vehicle has been sitting at a dock for more than two weeks.

Delays in Production

I have a confirmation from the dealer that my production date is now delayed a month from Sep 14 to Oct 12. This probably means that i won't see it until Nov or Dec. He couldn't be certain but does believe it is an issue with the seats as mentioned in several posts. That said he did ignored my comment on what will Ford or their dealership offer as compensation for the delay. I don't understand the lack of Customer service. Its sort of take it or leave it. He could have said I will see what I can do to to make it better for you - but alas, nothing. Where is there any accountability. I find it very disheartening.

Well said Patsy. Tricia, Ford is lacking with specifics. I'm not really sure that you won't just be reiterating the "We are working on an eta, but we don't have any further info". My vehicle has been sitting at a dock for more than two weeks.
As mentioned before, I don't believe the reps on this forum are tuned into what is going on with the building of the vehicles. The info you seek is something that your salesperson should be finding out on your behalf. After all, that is the person you dealt with in placing the order. The reps job is to put us in touch with the Regional Customer Service Managers to try and address issues with a delivered vehicle.

Peter

I can't speak for everyone's situation here but if you have a Platinum on order and it is not ON a truck en route to your dealer then I think you have to take a step back and think about things. There is a good chance you won't be getting your vehicle until late Oct (earliest) and maybe not until late Dec. That is speculation but pretty good speculation. IF that is true, then you have to ask yourself if you want to wait that long.

- are you being rewarded for waiting that long, other than getting a vehicle you paid for?
- have you been updated on your status by Ford or your dealer or just given the brush off?
- IF you won't receive it until late Dec then maybe it's worth waiting for Ebony interior, or Sync 3, or to see if there are any glitches or bugs with this model year. Plus you are losing several month$ in depreciation by taking delivery of a 2016 in late Dec.

I'm not saying not to wait or not to buy a Platinum or maybe to switch out to a different Ford. I'm just saying if Ford and/or the Ford dealerships want to treat this as no big deal and not worth discussing with you (us) then you should be considering all options. Think about what is best for you because nobody else is.

I think some of you need a reality check in regards to ordering a vehicle. Ford has never promised anyone a delivery date or production date of their Explorer. You can complain all you want but if Ford has found an issue and had to put a hold on all the Platinums that are coming off the line, then more power to them for holding them up until it is fixed rather then putting it into the customers hands.

Ford is not going to look up everyones specific order and give you answers.. they are not going to promise a date or even speculate because guess what.. if that date passes, then people will be on here b!tching once again.

These are the headaches that customers go through sometimes with a new model or a new trim that just starts production. Why should Ford offer something free to you?? IF you don't like it, go to another manufacturer.. they will surely sell your Explorer to someone else.

Do I sound a little harsh.. sure but what's up with the "but what do I get in return" attitude?? You would be more pissed off if they sent the vehicle to you and then you have issues and have to leave it at your dealer to be fixed. Better the factory do it then any dealer.

- are you being rewarded for waiting that long, other than getting a vehicle you paid for?
- have you been updated on your status by Ford or your dealer or just given the brush off?
- IF you won't receive it until late Dec then maybe it's worth waiting for Ebony interior, or Sync 3, or to see if there are any glitches or bugs with this model year. Plus you are losing several month$ in depreciation by taking delivery of a 2016 in late Dec.

Once again, why should Ford reward you for waiting?? Come on now... Late availability is just that.. there was no set date that they were going to start production. If you placed an order knowing this, then how can you complain that it's taking to long??

CS is not going to provide you with any more info then what the tracking system says. If a vehicle is held up or put on hold, that's all it will say. It does not get into specifics so don't expect CS to tell you anything further.

Losing several months depreciation?? You are not taking into account the increase in rebates that typically happen as the next MY approaches. As the 2017 MY approaches, there are very few if any rebates yet they get bigger on the 16s to move them therefore that throws your depreciation factor out the window.. It will generally make up for it.

And yes, your post is complete speculation and no fact.

PS - I waited over 4 months for my Explorer so I know how it feels.. but the "you owe me" crap is just that.. crap.

I didn't ask Ford to do anything for me or give me anything other than information and updates.

I didn't order mine 6 months ago when it was all vapor. I ordered mine when it was already on the assembly line and was quoted 6-8 weeks by the dealer. So when someone is told that, which I'm guessing others were as well, we expect Ford, through their representatives the Dealers, to provide updated information at the very least.

As far as speculation goes, it's not all speculation. It's more extrapolation. It is a fact that there is a delay. It is a fact that because of a seating issue a Hold has been issued. It is a fact that Ford has been less than forthcoming in helping us the consumers what that means for our open orders. Therefore we are left to extrapolate ourselves what that might means in terms of a delay and what that delay might equal in terms of time lost. It will vary by person.

But that wasn't the important point anyway, it was IF you're delivery winds up pushing that far out, you might want to consider what that means to you.

I also think, for me anyway, asking the question "are you being rewarded for waiting that long" isn't meant to suggest we should be rewarded. It's meant to point out just the opposite by saying you are only getting your vehicle so don't be disappointed if you have to wait. I just think it's a different scenario for many people to get their vehicle late Aug/Sep vs Oct/Nov/Dec. I was told and I'm sure others were as well, these are being produced now and you should have it in 6-8 weeks. People should know that isn't the case and as long as they are ok with that, fine. But if you are still waiting around in Dec for delivery will you be saying to yourself "had I known that I might have done something differently".

I didn't ask Ford to do anything for me or give me anything other than information and updates.

I didn't order mine 6 months ago when it was all vapor. I ordered mine when it was already on the assembly line and was quoted 6-8 weeks by the dealer. So when someone is told that, which I'm guessing others were as well, we expect Ford, through their representatives the Dealers, to provide updated information at the very least.

As far as speculation goes, it's not all speculation. It's more extrapolation. It is a fact that there is a delay. It is a fact that because of a seating issue a Hold has been issued. It is a fact that Ford has been less than forthcoming in helping us the consumers what that means for our open orders. Therefore we are left to extrapolate ourselves what that might means in terms of a delay and what that delay might equal in terms of time lost. It will vary by person.

But that wasn't the important point anyway, it was IF you're delivery winds up pushing that far out, you might want to consider what that means to you.

I also think, for me anyway, asking the question "are you being rewarded for waiting that long" isn't meant to suggest we should be rewarded. It's meant to point out just the opposite by saying you are only getting your vehicle so don't be disappointed if you have to wait. I just think it's a different scenario for many people to get their vehicle late Aug/Sep vs Oct/Nov/Dec. I was told and I'm sure others were as well, these are being produced now and you should have it in 6-8 weeks. People should know that isn't the case and as long as they are ok with that, fine. But if you are still waiting around in Dec for delivery will you be saying to yourself "had I known that I might have done something differently".

Then if your dealer is telling you 6-8 weeks, that is your dealer's fault and only your dealer. Ford doesn't go to your dealer and say "yup, this will be 6-8 weeks". What your dealer tells you is typically what they see it take for an Explorer to be built and delivered. That doesn't mean that there will not be hangups or delays and if your dealer doesn't disclose the possibility of that, then shame on them.

This is exactly why dealer's shouldn't give a window of time because as soon as it approaches or passes, people are pissed off and complain about "where is my vehicle". Unfortunately it is the nature of the beast when it comes to again, a new model or new trim level.

And to be honest, if there is a hold on them, Explorer's are being stock piled in the lots until this issue is resolved. Once resolved, they will start shipping but it's going to be first in, last out. This is exactly what happen with the 2011 models.. The ones that were built first were stock piled in the back and were the last to leave.

So.. expect longer delays IF yours is built already. Amazing that people are on here complaining instead of saying "Good job Ford catching the issue and halting shipping so I can get my vehicle delivered in flawless condition (or near flawless)".

And lastly, Dealerships don't represent Ford (yes they wear the name).. Dealers are 100% independent and due to the Automotive laws, manufacturer's have ZERO control over what a dealer says or does. This is not just representative of Ford but all dealers in the US. This is exactly why Ford can't stop a dealer from refusing to work on a vehicle or preventing them from price gouging on a limited production vehicle. Blame the gov't for that one..

Patience Is a Virtue

I sincerely appreciate all the opinions expressed on this forum and believe each of us reacts differently as we wait for production and delivery of our Platinums.

I did this dance with Ford once before when I ordered a 2002 Thunderbird as soon as orders were being accepted in early 2001. With the T-Bird, I first found a dealer with "allocation" then agreed to pay a premium for the privilege of being among the first to own the new two-seater. My '02 Thunderbord was delivered on December 23, 2001. Merry Christmas to me.

Between the time I ordered the T-Bird and its delivery, Ford made a significant effort to help T-Bird customers "Manage the Wait." Every month, UPS delivered a package containing a beautiful gift-wrapped box filled with Thunderbird facts and photos. And Ford toured the country with a small fleet of new T-Birds (one in each available color) for customers to see and drive while they waited for their own Thunderbird to be built. It was a very clever and impressive PR campaign by Ford, and I still have that '02 T-Bird and all the gift-wrapped info-boxes that Ford sent during the wait.

Of course, times have changed. Today we're talking about waiting for a new trim level of a popular SUV rather than an all-new, limited-production two-seater. I wouldn't expect Ford to send gift boxes to us or tour the country with a fleet of Platinums for us to touch and test drive to help "manage the wait." Instead, we come to this forum to vent our frustration and look for answers. At least I know that I'm not alone. I must remind myself: patience is a virtue.

I don't have a Platinum on order, but I do think Ford needs a better system for customers to track their orders and see status updates such as the issuing of a VIN number, build date and eta for delivery. Tricia is AWESOME and has personally helped me track my Limited order, but Ford is a big company and should have a better website in place to review the status of ordered vehicles in my opinion. Heck if UPS can do it why can't FORD. :)

I think some of you need a reality check in regards to ordering a vehicle. Ford has never promised anyone a delivery date or production date of their Explorer. You can complain all you want but if Ford has found an issue and had to put a hold on all the Platinums that are coming off the line, then more power to them for holding them up until it is fixed rather then putting it into the customers hands.

Once again, why should Ford reward you for waiting?? Come on now... Late availability is just that.. there was no set date that they were going to start production. If you placed an order knowing this, then how can you complain that it's taking to long??

PS - I waited over 4 months for my Explorer so I know how it feels.. but the "you owe me" crap is just that.. crap.

I think some of the things you say are fair. However I think the point is more about what is the right level of Customer Service. It's not that I or others are looking for "something for nothing", but on the other hand we are dropping over $50k down on a Ford and giving the dealer our business, so at least "appreciate" your customers. After all if no one wanted their vehicles, they'd be out of business (Ford and the Dealerships). Also there are many dealerships to choose from, so you'd think that there would be an appreciation for the sales. I knew I was going to wait, and I DO appreciate that they want to deal with issues and fix any problems. That's great; but when is common courtesy or telling the facts/truth a bad thing. All I am saying is that there should be more communications from Dealers (or to the Dealers from Ford). It seems to take weeks to get answers for simple questions. It is what it is, but it's more about the treating customers like Customers!

I think some of the things you say are fair. However I think the point is more about what is the right level of Customer Service. It's not that I or others are looking for "something for nothing", but on the other hand we are dropping over $50k down on a Ford and giving the dealer our business, so at least "appreciate" your customers. After all if no one wanted their vehicles, they'd be out of business (Ford and the Dealerships). Also there are many dealerships to choose from, so you'd think that there would be an appreciation for the sales. I knew I was going to wait, and I DO appreciate that they want to deal with issues and fix any problems. That's great; but when is common courtesy or telling the facts/truth a bad thing. All I am saying is that there should be more communications from Dealers (or to the Dealers from Ford). It seems to take weeks to get answers for simple questions. It is what it is, but it's more about the treating customers like Customers!

You have to realize (maybe you do but doesn't seem so based on your response) that there can be thousands of people waiting for their Explorer. CS doesn't have access to the information that you all are looking for. They see a tracking system.. that tracking system shows a build date, possibly an ETA, the status of whether it is on hold and that is it. It will say if it is released to the delivery company or in route etc.. there are not specifics given to CS. Do you really think that if there are 1,000 people all waiting, that Ford would really tie up their time to contact each one individually and tell them what's going on step by step? If there is no ETA, chances are quite good that there is no resolution yet. It's an unfortunate reality.

As far as sales people go.. it is extremely rare to find a great one.. most of us on the forums know more then the sales people because we do our own research.. we are enthusiasts.. we want to know about the vehicles we are buying. The sales people on the other hand usually don't make much money.. with our online resources, we know what invoice is.

Hell look at some of the people on here that are getting it for under invoice.. salesmen are making $100 or less on a vehicle sale when you are selling at or under invoice. How much work do you think that sales person is going to do for a customer for $100?? Am I making excuses, absolutely not.. but again, it's reality.

I'll share my experience with my F350. I met someone who is an online vendor meaning he advertises on some of the diesel forums. I ended up purchasing through him through multiple referrals in MI.. I flew out of NH, landed in MI, rented a car to get to his dealership and drove my truck 1,200 miles home. This person updated me every step of the way. I was getting emails at midnight and sometimes 3-4 times a day with the latest update on the status of my truck (mine had a delay in shipment by a week). This is the type of service I think we all deserve but it's extremely rare in this industry (industry, not just Ford).

On the flip side, I feel for sales people as well. I wouldn't want a person harping on me every few days or every week about the status of it when I'm trying to make that next $100. It's a tough job dealing with many of us (me included)..

Not trying to turn this thread into an argument but I really think some of the expectations on here are out there....

I remember when the 11s just started.. they got stock piled.. my original order was delayed a LONG time.. I ended up looking at different dealers and found one that was built AFTER mine but delivered BEFORE mine.. figure that one out. The only difference was the one at the other dealer had the roof racks on it but besides that, identical. I chose to cancel my order and go buy that one. The rebates also changed from $1,000 to $500 so although I was locked in on the original order, buying this other one cost me $500 since the rebate was cut in half. Ford didn't do anything for me despite me feeling they should have.

But if they do it for one, then the argument is they should do it for all and they just don't have the resources pushing out 130,000 Explorers a year. No manufacturer does when it is a complete trim level issue. It's not a one off build that has an issue, it's the whole Platinum trim line.. that's a lot to deal with. Also remember that they don't stop production so they will open up a line on weekends if it has to go through the assembly line for fixing... sometimes they can fix them on the lots. Being a seat issue, I assume they will be fixed in a separate area in the lot.

You have to realize (maybe you do but doesn't seem so based on your response) that there can be thousands of people waiting for their Explorer. CS doesn't have access to the information that you all are looking for. They see a tracking system.. that tracking system shows a build date, possibly an ETA, the status of whether it is on hold and that is it. It will say if it is released to the delivery company or in route etc.. there are not specifics given to CS. Do you really think that if there are 1,000 people all waiting, that Ford would really tie up their time to contact each one individually and tell them what's going on step by step? If there is no ETA, chances are quite good that there is no resolution yet. It's an unfortunate reality.

As far as sales people go.. it is extremely rare to find a great one.. most of us on the forums know more then the sales people because we do our own research.. we are enthusiasts.. we want to know about the vehicles we are buying. The sales people on the other hand usually don't make much money.. with our online resources, we know what invoice is.

Hell look at some of the people on here that are getting it for under invoice.. salesmen are making $100 or less on a vehicle sale when you are selling at or under invoice. How much work do you think that sales person is going to do for a customer for $100?? Am I making excuses, absolutely not.. but again, it's reality.

I'll share my experience with my F350. I met someone who is an online vendor meaning he advertises on some of the diesel forums. I ended up purchasing through him through multiple referrals in MI.. I flew out of NH, landed in MI, rented a car to get to his dealership and drove my truck 1,200 miles home. This person updated me every step of the way. I was getting emails at midnight and sometimes 3-4 times a day with the latest update on the status of my truck (mine had a delay in shipment by a week). This is the type of service I think we all deserve but it's extremely rare in this industry (industry, not just Ford).

On the flip side, I feel for sales people as well. I wouldn't want a person harping on me every few days or every week about the status of it when I'm trying to make that next $100. It's a tough job dealing with many of us (me included)..

Not trying to turn this thread into an argument but I really think some of the expectations on here are out there....

I remember when the 11s just started.. they got stock piled.. my original order was delayed a LONG time.. I ended up looking at different dealers and found one that was built AFTER mine but delivered BEFORE mine.. figure that one out. The only difference was the one at the other dealer had the roof racks on it but besides that, identical. I chose to cancel my order and go buy that one. The rebates also changed from $1,000 to $500 so although I was locked in on the original order, buying this other one cost me $500 since the rebate was cut in half. Ford didn't do anything for me despite me feeling they should have.

But if they do it for one, then the argument is they should do it for all and they just don't have the resources pushing out 130,000 Explorers a year. No manufacturer does when it is a complete trim level issue. It's not a one off build that has an issue, it's the whole Platinum trim line.. that's a lot to deal with. Also remember that they don't stop production so they will open up a line on weekends if it has to go through the assembly line for fixing... sometimes they can fix them on the lots. Being a seat issue, I assume they will be fixed in a separate area in the lot.

This makes good sense. No company the size of Ford has the resources to chase around a handful of problems and contact customers. Having said that, in this case, the number mentioned was 600 vehicles and maybe more if they are still building and will worry about correcting the issue later on. In a case like this and the fact it is a new model, Ford should make a statement outlining the situation and ask customers to bear with them while they make the Platinum as perfect as possible. That would go a long way with me. A customer can then decide how long they are willing to wait. I cancelled in June when my dealer expected the delay to continue to September at least.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I can go and spend $10 to have a package shipped via FedEX/UPS and will get nearly up to the hour tracking but if I spend 50k on a car, nobody has a clue where it is. 1 million packages shipped a day. 130,000 explorers shipped a year.

Come on now.

Back