5 speed manual trannies - How many of you were lucky enough to get one? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5 speed manual trannies - How many of you were lucky enough to get one?

my 92 sport has a 5 speed manual and electric 4x4

Len

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i've got the 5 speed, mazda tranny 178k miles, rebuilt at 134k and i'm on the second or third clutch??? i am hoping to get a hurst shifter after new years, if they're available.

I've got a 4-door 91, manual, manual 1354, manual hubs. The best setup you could get on these grocery getters back then. By the way, the M5OD was used in F150s too and they have gotten a bad rap for how weak and rough they are. I have 80K on mine and it already feels like junk. I find it hard to believe one with over 200K would still be "great"

define "feels like junk"

you might just need some new sychronizers or a new clutch.

ME TOO!

I love my 5 speed, unfortunatly it limits my towing ability.

I got lucky! It was rebuilt by Ford when I bought it 2.5 years ago. WOW! what a deal

I wanted one, the dealer said they were rare and talked me into the auto. Right after I picked it up, there was a white 98 w/a 5 speed manual, i got kinda bummed out after that one :(

I don't know about junk either!!

I have a 93 w/ 5spd manual and a 94 with auto. They both have around 140k and they run great. They both still feel very tight and have no hesitation from engine or tranny.

My 91 has the 5 speed with electric 4x4. Most people can't believe it came with a manual transmission. I've only noticed a 5 speed in one other 4 door but a lot of sports.

Really depends on how you use the truck. If your a higher RPM, quick shifter type, the tranny will not last very long. If you try to tow things it won't last, & if you start to loose fluid because of the rubber plugs, & don't notice it, or let it go, it will die. Adding more performance parts to increase power , or big tires will also lead to early failure. My truck only had 65K miles before my 5 speed went. But I also towed stuff, including a 2500lbs fishing boat.

My '91 sport has the 5-speed and I love it. It is just under 100K on the odo and no tranny or major engine problems. I do wish that it had the manual transfer case cuz the electric is a PITA sometimes. Does anyone know if the electric transfer case can be converted to manual?

Electric t-cases cannot be converted to manual. Manual t-cases shift much differently than an electric. Though you can put in a manual one pretty easily. Im putting a manual t-case from a ranger in my 97 sport.

I wish my Ex had the 5 speed. Oh well, the auto is, umm, cool too! :rolleyes:

I've got one in my 99 Sport.

I spent 3 months looking for a truck with a 5spd. I found the one i bought the first day i was looking but didnt like it all that much.. 3 months later i bougth it and its grown on me. :D Though i still like my old green explorer better.

i have one in my 98 sport

are they rare? i don't see a reason!

I got one in my 91 XL, also manual locks and T-case. I think i need a polyurithane tranny mount. I can't spin the tire with out the shifter shaking like mad. If you got any sugestions send me a private message>

5spds are very rare in explorers how many people do you know these days that want 5spds in there daily driver? Besides the explorer is a "grocery getter" in the eyes of alot of people and most soccer mommies arent gonna know how to drive a 5psd.

I have a 5 speed in my 92. I think automatics suck and personally would never want to drive anything with one

'93 XL with a 5-speed

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

91 sport w/ manual tranny and automatic transfer case

Back